After hard update the Raid 1 hdd shown as empty

• Offizieller Beitrag

All I've tried to update OMV in normal ways failed. I thought when I connect one of the raid drives to an linux machine (Debian 10 in my case) I'll be able to access the data stored on, but it doesn't work either. That's sets me back and let me think about a new/other NAS solution.

This should work indeed because OMV does no magic when the RAID is created. It's like other distros suggest it in their howtos. The only thing you need to do on another system is to activate the RAID to get it working.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Administrative language is german but it doesn't really matter for the screenshot.

That's OK, but the image clearly shows the Raid as active and clean so I assume it's mounted? But the fact that you're saying there is no data makes no sense.

Try df -h /dev/sdc

• Offizieller Beitrag

In the past some users reported the same issue that a RAID was not readable with Debian 9 which was created on Debian 8. I don't know if this was a user error or a real bug in Debian (whatever component might cause the issue ... x64, ARM, kernel, mdadm, userland, foo, bar). Their solution was to backup the data on Debian 8 and re-create the RAID with a new filesystem on Debian 9. Finally they copied back the backup to the production system.

If blkid does not find the filesystem, then you've hit the same problematic IMO.

• root@openmediavault:~# blkid
    /dev/sda1: UUID="cb84cef2-93c2-496f-8fc8-dcb7a67aac30" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="4e8a505b-01"
    /dev/sda5: UUID="7dbd6fb3-df94-4154-8329-788e17148323" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="4e8a505b-05"
    /dev/sdb: UUID="6f6bc262-bb6c-50ca-ca2f-70803ec12977" UUID_SUB="6ac4837c-9d41-862a-f85d-0c092984deee" LABEL="openmediavault:Raid1" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/md127: LABEL="Raid1a" UUID="86e958bb-8d60-4af4-a800-62f544a943c0" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sdc: UUID="6f6bc262-bb6c-50ca-ca2f-70803ec12977" UUID_SUB="dcc1cf93-125b-2ffb-2077-26697f4c0ce6" LABEL="openmediavault:Raid1" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    root@openmediavault:~#

I really don't meant to ofens the OMV developers or anybody of you but I will prevent in any case to face this problem in the future again. I don't mind if its a OMV or a Debian problem as long as I got a working solution.

• Offizieller Beitrag

as long as I got a working solution

You have to put this down to a learning curve, a bit rough I know as the df output clearly shows no data on that drive, but ask yourself the question do I need to use a raid option. I always say to users if you're going to use raid 1 you might as well use one drive for data and the second for rysnc or rsnapshot.

• I'm really frustrated at this moment. In my sight I've done nothing wrong, I just want an actual Raid (OMV) system and not an old one that can't be updated and everything I have tried with the options of OMV fails.

Of course it can be discoused if a raid1 is really "needed" but in my case I desided it must be raid1.

Now I have to think, search and compare about a new solution for a NAS and to be honest I got no idea where to start right now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm really frustrated at this moment. In my sight I've done nothing wrong, I just want an actual Raid (OMV) system and not an old one that can't be updated and everything I have tried with the options of OMV fails.

TBH there is nothing wrong with OMV and OMV in itself did not fail, 'if' there was an issue it may well have been with Debian there is no way of telling, that's why a backup solution is a must have.
    I have tried Freenas, Xigmanas, I've run an Ubuntu server as well, but OMV ticks far more boxes and the help and support in here for home users is better than any other, try asking for the same help on the Freenas forum.
    As to your Raid, if you want to use that that's fine but backup, at least the data you don't want to lose.

I have upgraded from OMV3 to OMV4 without an issue, I have even swapped out servers and had no data loss, I have trashed my Raid 5 and now use another option thanks to a user on here.

• The problem isn't the lost data themself, it's the lose of trust. Again I don't want to make OMV bad and I really use it a long time without an issue.

I fully appriciate what they create with OMV and don't want to do any bad to OMV their makers or the guys here in this forum but I'm absolutly affraid to use OMV and face the same situation again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have used raid with OMV since the 0.2 days and upgraded without issues with my raid arrays. But, I am using server grade hardware and NAS hard drives. As I said before, this isn't an OMV issue. And it only seems to affect very few users.

I think it is ironic to say that you are scared to use OMV when thousands of users do successfully especially when using an ancient Athlon II system. One of the biggest reasons we talk people out of using raid is because their hardware is not up to the task. Raid is meant for redundancy yet nothing else on your system is redundant. A scheduled rsync between two drives is an acceptable level of redundancy for most home users and much more reliable on non-server grade hardware.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Guys, you helped me so much. You know about my system and ancient and slow but do you have any suggestions for me at my problem ?

I just want a system that's can be easily kept up to date mirroring the data drive(s) and even when one drive crash I replace it with an other drive and they will sycronized the data of the remaining drive with the new one. I'm really out of ideas right now and will thanful for any hint even it's a small one.

• Offizieller Beitrag

do you have any suggestions for me at my problem ?

There have been many. What is the output of cat /proc/mdstat right now?

I just want a system that's can be easily kept up to date mirroring the data drive(s) and even when one drive crash I replace it with an other drive and they will sycronized the data of the remaining drive with the new one.

rsync would satisfy those requirements.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

md127 : active (auto-read-only) raid1 sdb[2] sdc[0]

And mdadm --readwrite /dev/md127 doesn't take it out of auto-read-only mode?

• Offizieller Beitrag

rsync would satisfy those requirements.

He speaks truth: Page 64 of this user guide.
    And then for a proper backup machine this guide.

• Offizieller Beitrag

failed to set writable for /dev/md127: Device or resource busy

It must be mounted. What is the output of: grep md127 /proc/mounts

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!