OMV 5 web access probably bug???

• Hi

I thought to share this issue since its the third time happening to me. I noticed that if I start the OMV5 (installed in my case in bare metal system) without the Ethernet cable plugged, then no matter if I plug it afterwards / restart / shutdown it doesn't give access to the web GUI.
    This time frustrated me a little more by not giving me access even afterentering omv-firstaid mode and changing password. i had to reset cache also and change password and that's how it finally let me get in.

Anyone else willing to replicate the situation (just start it without network and try to access the web GUI after you plug the Ethernet cable) and share results.

Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

Anyone else willing to replicate the situation (just start it without network and try to access the web GUI after you plug the Ethernet cable) and share results.

I started a VM with the NIC disconnected. I let it fully boot and then connected the NIC. After about 30 seconds, it had a DHCP address and was working as expected. This is exactly the behavior I would expect.

There is no reason to reset passwords or cache. If that seemed to work, it is probably because it just gave it more time to get everything working. Lots of services wait to start until networking is started. You can't expect this to happen instantly.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• There is no reason to reset passwords or cache. If that seemed to work, it is probably because it just gave it more time to get everything working. Lots of services wait to start until networking is started. You can't expect this to happen instantly.

Thank you for trying that out. In my post nowhere I referred to the time I waited until I try again. Now since you mention it I waited (and kept trying also) above 15min after I had the cable plugged in again. So its not the issue of t he 30 -40-50 sec I didnt give it time to load the appropriate services.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You are focusing on the wait time. That was not my intention. OMV doesn't setup the network in a weird config that shouldn't recover from a network cable being unplugged. Systemd does have a 5 minute timeout when booting to try start networking. I'm not sure why your system doesn't recover but any Linux distro should be fine with this happening.

VMware actually disconnects the cable of a VM on startup when cloning a VM using a customization spec. So, this is a common workflow.

Why again is your system starting without a network connection? Does the system have a static IP or dhcp? Did you setup the network config from the web interface?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!