Scan to Folder Stopped Working - How to enable SMB1

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• An SMB share on Windows 10 with SMBv1 enabled has been setup for the interim. It is working properly w/o any issues. I would prefer to scan to the OMV NAS, as that is the centralized file server.

The following actions have been performed to troubleshoot:
      OMV NAS has been restarted.
      Credentials were tested by accessing with Windows file explorer; creds were even reapplied to be sure.
      MFP printer was restarted and unplugged.
      IP address of host was used.
      Created a new test share with no permissions.

I have been fairly thorough and nothing is working. I work in IT so I know the tricks on the printer side of things to get it working but still no luck.
    • vatoDETH wrote:

Does OMV still support SMB v1 for CIF/SMB Shares?
      Yes, but it is disabled now for security reasons. Check with CLI> testparm in the [global] section, what your samba settings are. There are several threads in the forum how to enable SMB1 protocol.
      OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • testparm does not show output the global or individual share SMB version. I already had tried adding 'client max protocol = SMB1' to Extra Options on the share but that did not work.

I was hoping for an answer on how to configure the Extra Options field of the individual share to get it working. I will review the smb.conf and how to configure it. Once I have that figured out, then i will try using the Extra Options field in the GUI.
    • vatoDETH wrote:

testparm does not show output the global or individual share SMB version
      Try testparm -s -v | grep protocol

Have you tried ntlm auth = ntlmv1-permitted or client min protocol = NT1?
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - OMV4.x | Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:

The post was edited 1 time, last by macom ().

• macom wrote:

Have you tried ntlm auth = ntlmv1-permitted or client min protocol = NT1?
      As @macon already wrote client min protocol = NT1 enables SMB1 protocol in Samba. The ntlm auth =... line may also be necessary.

Don´t add it to an individual share setting. Add it to the global settings of SMB/CIFS. Don´t edit smb.conf directly.
      OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • Saw the NT1 and NTLM syntax when I did some research. Have not tried applying those yet.

I was trying SMB1 which I now realize is incorrect syntax. NT1 is the correct syntax for SMB1.

I will try editing the smb.conf file when I get home. I cracked it open in Nano before work but ran out of time.

Thanks for the grep! That will help. I am not usually navigating Linux, so I forgot about the power of GREP!

Do you know if I can modify the SMB for an individual share, or does it have to be global?

This is only a scan folder so I don't care too much about security on this one folder. I know that SMB1 has been deprecated because crypto malware can traverse SMB1 shares and infect everything. I would like to avoid SMB on the main share to keep it secure and protected. And yes, I do back up everything to cloud but still would like to practice best security. :)

Thanks for the input and assistance. I will post results when I play with it again tonight.
    • vatoDETH wrote:

I will try editing the smb.conf file when I get home.
      No, you shouldn´t do this. Your changes may be overwritten by the OMV WebUI, when you change other SMB/CIFS settings later.

vatoDETH wrote:

Do you know if I can modify the SMB for an individual share, or does it have to be global?
      I don´t know this. I would propose to try it first with a global setting. If it works you can switch to a share related setting and make a second try.
      OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
    • Instructional for configuring SMB1
      It is working now with the following steps detailed below.

STEP 1: Reviewed configuration using CLI

Command 1:
      testparm -s -v | grep protocol

Output 1:
      client ipc max protocol = default
      client ipc min protocol = default
      client max protocol = default
      client min protocol = CORE
      server max protocol = SMB3
      server min protocol = LANMAN1

Command 2:
      testparm -s -v | grep ntlm

Output 2:
      ntlm auth = No

Step 2: Modified the configuration under SMB/CIFS> Settings> Extra Options

client min protocol = NT1
      ntlm auth = yes

Misstep:
      I originally tried SMB/CIFS> Shares> Edit Share> Extra Option.
      I was thinking the setting could be modified per share but I was wrong.
      Enabling SMB1 must be a global setting.

The system would not accept the ntlm auth = ntlmv1-permitted config change in Extra Options. This was not required.

RESOLUTION:
      Scan to folder is working properly now. Thank you for the assistance!

The post was edited 3 times, last by vatoDETH ().