Change Filesystem UUID

• I would like change the OMV filesystem UUID on an exact copy of my existing install. I know how to do this using tune2fs. And I know I must change the UUID in /etc/fstab. But there is more to change and I don't know where and what. The copy with the changed filesystem UUID and changed fstab will not boot.

The goal I want to accomplish is to have both my original OMV and the changed copy connected to the box via USB so that I can select which copy to run from the system boot menu. I want to be able to boot OMV 4 or OMV 5 without having to physically swap drives.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your drive should be mounting by label unless it is an old updated install. So, changing the UUID shouldn't cause any problems with OMV itself. Having two drives with the same label is a problem. What does the mntent section of /etc/openmediavault/config.xml look like? If you want to boot both, you will have to change the grub config but update-grub should fix that.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It's an old original OMV 2.x install that was upgraded to 3.x, then 4.x. In fstab it boots by: /dev/disk/by-uuid/de386ed0-472a-4dcf-bd8c-e4800143731a

I do not see that UUID listed in the mntent section of config.xml or anywhere else in the file. ?

It's a 16GB 2.5 inch SSD in an external USB case.

The device label is ssd-omv4. I can change this on one of the other drive to be ssd-omv5.

I don't know what or where to change in the grub setup to convert it to mount by label.

Thanks.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess I was reading your first post wrong. I thought you wanted to change the UUID of a data drive. If you want to change the UUID of the OS drive, you just need to change the uuid in /etc/fstab and then run update-grub.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!