[SOLVED] Multibooting OMV 4 and OMV 5 on External USB drives.

• I wish to be able to multiboot between two versions of OMV.

I have OMV 4 and OMV 5 installed to separate 16GB SSDs housed in identical external USB cases. fstab entries for each drive are as follows:

/dev/disk/by-label/ssd-omv5 / ext4 noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

/dev/disk/by-label/ssd-omv4 / ext4 noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

If I connect either of the drives to the box, they boot fine.

If I connect both drives to the box and use the system boot menu to select the boot device, I will see the appropriate kernel lists fine (they are different due to one having kernel 5.3 available).

Depending on which drive I select in the system boot menu, it either boots fine or I get a message that the kernel can not be found.

Is what I am trying to do really possible?

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The problem here is update-grub only updates the /boot files on one stick. So, unless you run it while booted into each system, you will get the grub menu from one stick and it may list a kernel that isn't on the other stick. If I was going to do this, I would probably put the /boot filesystem and grub boot loader on a third stick.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The problem here is update-grub only updates the /boot files on one stick. So, unless you run it while booted into each system, you will get the grub menu from one stick and it may list a kernel that isn't on the other stick. If I was going to do this, I would probably put the /boot filesystem and grub boot loader on a third stick.

I did update-grub while booted to both systems. As I said, the grub menu kernel lists that are displayed are full and correct for each system.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did update-grub while booted to both systems. As I said, the grub menu kernel lists that are displayed are full and correct for each system.

But when you install a new kernel on one system, it only gets copied to /boot on one stick. Unless you rsync /boot to each stick, you will always have this issue.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Both systems have all the kernels in their respective boot menus available for use. They both fully work as expected when only either one is plugged in. It only misbehaves when both drives are plugged in.

I managed to get it to boot with both drives are plugged in and I select one or the other from the system boot menu. But what it is doing is booting to the OMV 5 disk, even when I select the OMV 4 disk. I do see different lists of kernels depending on which drive I select. So it is looking at the correct disk in the beginning.

Both disks still have the same UUID for their partitions. Is this even relevant anymore since I am booting by disk label now?

--

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

s this even relevant anymore since I am booting by disk label now?

The duplicate uuid must be causing the issue. Not sure what else it could. I still think there is a grub issue.

• I looked in the file /boot/grub.cfg. That UUID is plastered all over the place. Like in 146 places. LOL.

I have to leave for now but when I get back I am going to change the UUID on one of the disks and regenerate grub.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!