Share root of HD

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Share root of HD

Dear all,

is it possbile to share the root of the HD?

Reason: I would like to rename a folder that is directly on the root level of a HD. It is not possible to rename folders at all via OMV (correct?).

Therefore, I would like to share the complete HD (not specifying any subfolder) and simply rename it...

Does this work? Any other ideas?

BR
      Andreas
    • Do you want to change the folder name or just the name of the share?

If you want to change the name of the folder on the hdd you have to remove the share in OMV gui (just the share, not the content). Rename the folder from CLI and create a new share pointing to the folder.

If you just want to rename a share you can remove the share in OMV gui (again, just the share, not the content) and create a new share pointing to the folder.
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - OMV4.x | Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • You may already share the root fs. If you have SSH enabled you can access any folder that way. Using the command line in SSH you can escalate to root and change the name of any folder anywhere. And possibly break the install...

OMV allows you to enable SSH from the GUI.

I often SSH in to my OMV NAS like this, in order to move/rename files and folders. Typically I use mc (Midnight Commander) as a file manager over SSH.
      OMV 4: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4
    • Dear both,

Unfortunatly, I am not able to move forward.

The hd I would like to "/dev/sdb1" - I am able th access via SMB - so it works.

Using ssh I tried

cd /dev/sdb1

bash: cd: /dev/sdb1: Not a directory

directory /mnt

is empty as well... Any ideas?

Regards & many thanks in advanced
      Andreas
    • I see a great possibility for a nice learning experience.

If you rename any folder that OMV is using, then you may break parts of OMV. OMV use the names and paths of files and folders to know what to do with them. If you rename a folder that OMV use, for instance a share, then OMV will not be able to find that folder any more.

In OMV 57 I suspect that the telepathic interface is fully implemented. Then you don't have to tell OMV in detail what you want it to do. Instead OMV reads your mind and configures itself to your wishes. Today that is only partially possible by hiring a system administrator and become good friends with him/her. Very difficult, but free beer can be used in moderate amounts at suitible times. When something is finished, for example.
      OMV 4: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4
    • Adoby wrote:

If you rename any folder that OMV is using, then you may break parts of OMV. OMV use the names and paths of files and folders to know what to do with them. If you rename a folder that OMV use, for instance a share, then OMV will not be able to find that folder any more.
      What you describe should be prevented by this

macom wrote:

If you want to change the name of the folder on the hdd you have to remove the share in OMV gui (just the share, not the content). Rename the folder from CLI and create a new share pointing to the folder.
      Am I missing soemthing?
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - OMV4.x | Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!: