Media on 3x External HDDs not accessible

• Hello All,

I am facing issues accessing my media on 3x 1TB WD external HDD hope you can help me with this.

My OMV build was on my old Dell Optiplex 380 where OMV was installed as the only operating system. There were 5 external hard disk drives containing media, 3x 3.5" 1TB WD External powered drives and 2x 2.5" eternal USB powered drives. I had Pelx server on OMV and accessing media from various Plex clients within the house (and not form outside network).

I used this setup for close to an year and it was working great, last few months the system was in switched off state where i was planning to built a new PC. I recently finished the new PC built and shifted the 3x 3.5" 1TB WD External drives to internal HDDs and noticed that none of the drives are accessible in Windows where it shows as RAW drives , 2x 2.5" external drives are okay (even the 3x 3.5" drives cannot be accessed as external drives in windows).

My 3x 3.5'' drive has movies and music and I really wish to get it back, can anyone faced similar situation and hope you can help me with this problem.

Thanks
    Siju

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could it be a filesystem problem? I assume you didn't use some form of RAID?

You can easily read Windows filesystems from Linux, but you need to install special software to read Linux filesystems from Windows.

So if the drives are formatted as, for instance, EXT4, the contents is not visible from Windows. I think Windows even suggests that it should format the drives. :S

Try booting Linux from a USB thumb drive and check if you can read the contents from Linux.

If you used some form of RAID you need to mimic that. Then a new install of OMV could recognize that the drives are part of a RAID array and assemble it for you. Perhaps...

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Thanks for your help;

I think so, it might be a file system issue, but all 3 drives are in-accessible and it is bit strange.

I did not configure RAID in the system.

Drives were FAT32 & NTFS and was not in EXT4 formats, yes windows is suggesting to format it and showing RAW file system.

I will try the solution of booting from linux perhaps OMV itself , thanks for this suggestion.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!