HDD's not mounting in OMV

• Hi All,
    Looking for assistance with the following error which prevents 2xHDD's (1TB each) from mounting in OMV4
    I've recently come back to OMV having had awful experience with version 2 & 3.
    So far with this build on RPi4 (4Gbs) I have had to format drives externally as OMV would not format them.
    I'm trying to run very simple shares using SMB which would hopefully connect to Plex using OMV docker GUI.
    I've got 2 SSD's up but my media is on the HDD's which I can't mount or share.
    I've checked fstab and everything looks ok.
    Occasionally the disks are available but are too unstable to do anything with.
    The disks connect via a powered usb3 hub.
    If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated as I have wasted so much time on this.
    I have some experience of Linux and cli but wanted an easy GUI to manage media accross the network and perhaps set up a disk pool but sadly again OMV has not delivered.

Image to error: https://www.evernote.com/shard…e1f1d7f4d8d470be2f91c74c5
    Error message attached.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have had to format drives externally as OMV would not format them.

Did you ever wipe them in the physical disks tab?

Occasionally the disks are available but are too unstable to do anything with.

Not sure what unstable means but with an RPi4, I recommend using Raspbian Buster Lite instead of the omv4 image (too many issues on RPi4 and it is not maintained) and then use my install script to install OMV - https://forum.openmediavault.o…-Armbian-Supported-SBC-s/

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Unstable wrong word - too frustrated too articulate problem.
    I don't understand how some of my disk are available and some not.
    I couldn't format them on OMV because of errors using the +create tab.
    They are 2 new 1Tb disks formatted in EXT4
    I'll look at your Armbian script - thanks that and your prompt response.
    Before I go though do you have any idea wht the error message is about.
    Also when you say issues with RPi4 is this hardware or software related?
    When you say not maintained - does this mean that the OMV image for RPi is now defunct??
    Thanks again

• Offizieller Beitrag

They are 2 new 1Tb disks formatted in EXT4

Maybe you used an option that isn't available on a 32 bit system??

I'll look at your Armbian script - thanks that and your prompt response.

It isn't an armbian script. It is a general script to install OMV and omv-extras and the flashmemory plugin. It happens to be very useful on armbian and rpi images but it works on any system.

Before I go though do you have any idea wht the error message is about.

See my comment above about formatting options.

Also when you say issues with RPi4 is this hardware or software related?

The RPi OMV 4 image was a hacked together image with an armbian userland and rpi foundation kernel. It was somewhat ok on older RPis but it has a lot of issues on RPi4s. The RPi4 is big change from older versions.

When you say not maintained - does this mean that the OMV image for RPi is now defunct??

Yes the omv image for RPi will not be maintained. It is much easier and more stable to use Armbian maintained images for Armbian supported boards and RPi Foundation images for RPis then run my install script - https://forum.openmediavault.o…-Armbian-Supported-SBC-s/. This allows me to maintain the script to do the best things while letting Armbian and RPi foundation do what they are good at - maintaining a stable image. Different workflow but you end up with the same thing in the end.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Thanks rycoaaron...I wish I had tapped your brains before wasting so much time on this. Which looks like it was always going to be futile on the Rpi4.
    Rhetorical but at least I've got a board with 2 micro hdmi slots for 4k but incapable of running a 64 bit system - might just put this toy in the bin.

• It seems I have an issue close to that. I've got me a raspberry pi 4 with 16 GB RAM, two WD 1TB external storages, a powered USB 3 hub, a raspi case with active cooling and a lot of enthusiasm.

After several attempts OMV 4 was running based on the Armbian 5.46 _experimental_ distribution. To be honest, it gave me not a good feeling to have to entrust valuable data from my family history to an experimental stated system. Anyway, I made several attempts and got the installation running following a youtube tutorial with setting up a RAID 1, SMB, SFTP and DLNA to allow to access the stored data by a LibreElec Kodi raspberry pi in my network.

All went fine until I started setting up some docker images for MariaDB, Nextcloud and Letsencrypt. I could use SFTP as source for external storages in my Nextcloud 17 installation running on docker and could access all my ripped music and photos even in Romania. But suddenly it broke, I could only access the system by SSH from remote with putty and gave a reboot command. Since then OMV GUI can be opened, but it does not find my devices any more (on the console there are /dev/sda and /dev/sdb still visible). So I am fearing I have lost a lot time of work right now.

It seems that I can only boot the system when I disconnect the harddrives and reconnect them again. Something that I really do not like. I guess something is wrong in the boot settings. But armbian-config in that distribution does not contain any boot settings in the system menu in contrary to the armbian documentation. Why? Was it removed for this OMV package?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I highly recommend using OMV 5.x with Raspbian Buster Lite for RPi4. The armbian image was a frankenstein image that was never really supported by Armbian (they don't support any RPi). Please follow this guide to install OMV on RPi4 - https://forum.openmediavault.o…-Armbian-Supported-SBC-s/

• Offizieller Beitrag

After several attempts OMV 4 was running based on the Armbian 5.46 _experimental_ distribution.

Why? Simply going here download Buster Lite then go here and follow the instructions, or there is a guide here admittedly this is for OMV5 which is still technically beta, but there are a number using this rather than the OMV4 Pi image, simply because it works.

Anyway, I made several attempts and got the installation running following a youtube tutorial with setting up a RAID 1

Not really a good idea and this option is disabled in OMV's GUI (using USB drives for Raid purposes) and could be the reason why your drives don't get found during a reboot.

A user did post on the forum using a Pi4 with 5x2TB 2.5" drives all stored in a bitcoin mining case complete with a a self charging USB3 hub, but no Raid and it all worked.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have connected two hard drives in one usb3 dock many times to my RPi4 and it works well.

• I cannot get any HDDs or flashdrives, no matter the file system to mount. Im on a pi-3 and i have noticed some errors at boot related to mounting. Ive also made sure that im up to date.

5.46 Experimental. Had the same problem on the stable release

the following errors occur at boot:

proc-fs-nfsd.mount
    <my-drive>.mount
    lircd-uinput.service
    systemd-modules-load.service
    tinker-bluetooth.service
    zram-config.service
    var-swap.swap

side note: how well does omv work on an Asus Tinkerboard?

Thanks in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I run RPi4 with the standard 4 OMV image, a dual bay Startech powered external hard drive enclosure with two 8TB drives in mergerfs configuration. Extremely stable and boring. As I like it. Just works. Very happy with it. Flirc case. I turn it on when I need to access it or add stuff. Never had any issues at all!

I use it for cold backups. Copy of stuff that never changes. Just gets added to perhaps a couple of times per year. When it gets full I may plugin another dual bay enclosure. This is used for some of my most valuable data. Scanned family photos and so on. This is my only cold online backup at home. I have secondary and third level backups as well. But not at home...

I have problems with understanding what you guys are doing to have problems. Are you intentionally trying to mess things up?

If you have decided that you want some excitement and extra work, by all means use a USB hub. Use USB cable extensions. Use bad cables. Have no cooling. Use bad SD cards. Don't buy a nice powered external USB enclosure. Use RAID together with USB. Have a bad power supply. Use a long and thin USB power cable. And don't backup your data.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have problems with understanding what you guys are doing to have problems. Are you intentionally trying to mess things up?

Using Armbian images on a unsupported SBC, Armbian don't support the Pi and why install it on Pi3 when the OMV4 image works.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!