Do Rsync and SnapRAID work well together?

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Do Rsync and SnapRAID work well together?

Is it possible/advisable to implement SnapRAID in a media server that has a main data drive and a full disk mirror using Rsync? I know I would have to add a parity disk for the SnapRAID setup.

Or should I skip SnapRAID on the media server and back up to a separate backup server using Rsync in a remote/pull setup, and implement SnapRAID there? I have a couple of old idle desktop pc's with OMV on them.

I can get my head around Rsync—both local and remote—and I can understand SnapRAID, but not both together.

Thanks in advance.
      Retired. I love to garden and mess with computers. The more I mess with both the less I know about either.
      OMV 4.1.30-1 on a pair of Odroid hc2's w/ 4TB WD Blue. Running Nextcloud, Plex, & Heimdall - and a Raspberry Pi 3 running Pi-hole.
      Testing OMV 5.2.1-1 beta on an Acer Aspire T180, HP dx2400, and Nanopi M4.
    • It should work fine. I use rsync with mergerfs. But do some tests...

One thing bit me: Since mergerfs (and snapraid?) is fuse based, running as a normal program and and not in the kernel, you may get errors when changing timestamps for folders.

This caused problems when I tried to run a backup snapshot using rsync to a share on a mergerfs volume.

It has something to do with the kernel only allows the exact same user to update a timestamp as set it. Or root. Or something. It has caused me quite some grief...

The work-around is to run rsync without the -t option and add -O. Or simply add --not-t -O as the last option. -t means sync modify timestamps. -O means omit modify timestamps for folders.
      OMV 4: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4
    • I don’t do anything with Rsync outside of the GUI like you do. I don’t do snapshots, just a full disk mirror to a second drive once or twice a week, and then a rsync remote/pull from a backup machine once or twice a week. I really like the full disk mirror—I have swapped disks before—and it really works! That’s the kind of backup I like. Now I am trying to add protection against bit rot with SnapRAID. Thank you @Adoby for your input.
      Retired. I love to garden and mess with computers. The more I mess with both the less I know about either.
      OMV 4.1.30-1 on a pair of Odroid hc2's w/ 4TB WD Blue. Running Nextcloud, Plex, & Heimdall - and a Raspberry Pi 3 running Pi-hole.
    • I believe that running SnapRAID on both devices—media server AND backup server—might be a bit overkill. Unless someone suggests otherwise, it seems that a simple rsync disk mirror on the media server is sufficient as long as the backup server is setup to pull rsyncs into a SnapRAID setup on a regular basis. If anything corrupts on the media server, a clean copy should be available on the backup server, as long as everything has been synced. Am I right?