Do Rsync and SnapRAID work well together?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it possible/advisable to implement SnapRAID in a media server that has a main data drive and a full disk mirror using Rsync? I know I would have to add a parity disk for the SnapRAID setup.

Or should I skip SnapRAID on the media server and back up to a separate backup server using Rsync in a remote/pull setup, and implement SnapRAID there? I have a couple of old idle desktop pc's with OMV on them.

I can get my head around Rsync—both local and remote—and I can understand SnapRAID, but not both together.

Thanks in advance.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

It should work fine. I use rsync with mergerfs. But do some tests...

One thing bit me: Since mergerfs (and snapraid?) is fuse based, running as a normal program and and not in the kernel, you may get errors when changing timestamps for folders.

This caused problems when I tried to run a backup snapshot using rsync to a share on a mergerfs volume.

It has something to do with the kernel only allows the exact same user to update a timestamp as set it. Or root. Or something. It has caused me quite some grief...

The work-around is to run rsync without the -t option and add -O. Or simply add --not-t -O as the last option. -t means sync modify timestamps. -O means omit modify timestamps for folders.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don’t do anything with Rsync outside of the GUI like you do. I don’t do snapshots, just a full disk mirror to a second drive once or twice a week, and then a rsync remote/pull from a backup machine once or twice a week. I really like the full disk mirror—I have swapped disks before—and it really works! That’s the kind of backup I like. Now I am trying to add protection against bit rot with SnapRAID. Thank you @Adoby for your input.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I believe that running SnapRAID on both devices—media server AND backup server—might be a bit overkill. Unless someone suggests otherwise, it seems that a simple rsync disk mirror on the media server is sufficient as long as the backup server is setup to pull rsyncs into a SnapRAID setup on a regular basis. If anything corrupts on the media server, a clean copy should be available on the backup server, as long as everything has been synced. Am I right?

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!