local acess to the xfce4 minimal desktop of remotedesktop plugin

• Hello,

in my workshop room, where the NAS with OMV is located, I sometimes need a PC with internet to look things up.
    An extra device just for this purpose would be too much.
    Therefore I would like to install a desktop environment on my NAS.
    My plan was to just install Debian and put OMV over it, but in some articles it is discouraged and warned against problems.
    But why are there OMV instructions exactly for this? klick
    And does this also apply to Debian10 and OMV5?

If this way is not successful,
    would it be possible to access the "xfce4 minimal desktop" (wich comes with the remotedesktop-plugin) locally via a screen and mouse/keyboard?

Greetings

• Offizieller Beitrag

But why are there OMV instructions exactly for this?

That guide doesn't tell you to install a desktop environment. It exists because some people want to do custom things with the OS partitioning and they can't do that from the OMV iso.

And does this also apply to Debian10 and OMV5?

Yes. It doesn't matter what version. Desktop environments change things and mount things that OMV controls. And until the concept of OMV controlling config completely changes, installing a desktop environment will be recommended against.

would it be possible to access the "xfce4 minimal desktop" (wich comes with the remotedesktop-plugin) locally via a screen and mouse/keyboard?

Nope. It purposely doesn't install enough to cause problems and not use locally. It is just enough to create a virtual environment.

Why can't you use a phone or laptop?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello ryecoaaron,
    thaks for your quick response and answering my questions:)

Why can't you use a phone or laptop?

Sure, that would be a possibility.
    I have a screen left and thought it would be great to use it for this.
    i also use an Arduino on the NAS (USB) to read in sensor data. it would be nice to be able to program and flash it directly there. But that should at least work with the remote desktop if i install the Arduino IDE?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!