Purpose of adding network interface

• What is the purpose of adding a network interface in System -> Network -> Interfaces -> Add ?

I have no Interface added or listed on that page, and OMV is working fine on an Odroid HC2 connected to my router by ethernet, the only network interface on this device. It receives a static IP from the router's DHCP based on the MAC address.

Is there any point to adding the ethernet interface in OMV? The main reason I wonder is because Diagnostics -> System Information -> Performance Statistics -> Network Interfaces is blank. Maybe the interface needs to be added in OMV for the network activity to be monitored?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it works, don't rock the boat. Unless you are bored and have good backups.

OMV may run on a box with more than one network interface and/or you may not like the default setting.

I haven't added any network interface for my HC2s.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@Adoby Does leaving the network blank make the HC2s portable so you could use them at a relative’s home, say to watch movies even if their network is set with a different subnet?

I’ve always set mine up with a network setting because that is what the guides direct. I will continue to do so with most of my machines but the ability to take one out might be nice.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes.

The default settings are to use DHCP. That means that you have to have some other way to decide or figure out what the IP is. And it will work in any network as long as there is a DHCP server there.

I use, just as @grokov do, a router with a DHCP server with a static lease for my HC2. So the DHCP server always gives the same IP to my HC2.

You can configure DHCP in the network settings manually as well.

For servers you are likely to prefer to use the same IP always.

But if you have a local DNS server, perhaps dnsmasp, you can ignore the IP numbers and just use the name and domain of the server. But sometimes you may still need the number, for some apps, so a fixed IP is nice to have.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't added any network interface for my HC2s.

Armbian images are setup to use network manager. That is why they work without a network adapter setup in the Network tab.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Armbian images are setup to use network manager. That is why they work without a network adapter setup in the Network tab.

What does the Network tab set up? I won't add configurations unnecessarily, but it is sometimes difficult to tell what is needed and what isn't, and what underlying changes are actually made.

What is required for network activity to be displayed in Performance Statistics?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What does the Network tab set up?

With an x86 install using the OMV iso, the network adapter is setup using systemd networkd and will show up in the network tab. With armbian images, network manager sets up the adapter. So, when you add an adapter, it will configure networkd. network manager should really be disabled or removed at this point. My script doesn't do this because some people want a wireless connection (bad idea to me) and network manager is better for wireless.

but it is sometimes difficult to tell what is needed and what isn't, and what underlying changes are actually made.

That is part of being flexible. Some people may have a configuration too complex for the OMV web interface. So, it was made optional.

What is required for network activity to be displayed in Performance Statistics?

No idea. I disable that on all of my systems. It is also disabled by the script. Running on arm systems is hard on the sd card and requires resources that arm boards are low on.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• when you add an adapter, it will configure networkd.

Is that the preferred/recommended way?

I disable that on all of my systems. It is also disabled by the script. Running on arm systems is hard on the sd card and requires resources that arm boards are low on.

Do you mean you disable network monitoring, or all Performance Statistics? Wouldn't the flash memory plugin help reduce sd card wear?

I did wonder whether such statistics are saved in RAM and written to disk only occasionally (what frequency?). It is clear they are written to disk since they persist after reboots.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is that the preferred/recommended way?

Since ARM images aren't official OMV images and the ISO configures the network that way, I would say it is the preferred way.

Do you mean you disable network monitoring, or all Performance Statistics?

All statistics via the Monitoring tab.

Wouldn't the flash memory plugin help reduce sd card wear?

Help, yes. Perform miracles, no. The flashmemory plugin doesn't move all directories to ram to reduce writes.

I did wonder whether such statistics are saved in RAM and written to disk only occasionally (what frequency?). It is clear they are written to disk since they persist after reboots.

The flash memory plugin syncs all files it is responsible for to disk on shutdown.

• Since ARM images aren't official OMV images and the ISO configures the network that way, I would say it is the preferred way.

To be clear, for armbian images sticking with the network manager method, i.e. not manually adding interfaces, is the preferred way?

The flashmemory plugin doesn't move all directories to ram to reduce writes.

Do the directories for the Monitoring statistics get moved to RAM?

I do like checking those statistics, for example to make sure resource utilization was not saturated during backup creation/verification which is what I use my HC2 for, but I'll keep in mind the potential problems.

Perform miracles, no.

An outrage. When is OpenMiracleVault due??

• Offizieller Beitrag

To be clear, for armbian images sticking with the network manager method, i.e. not manually adding interfaces, is the preferred way?

OMV configures networkd not network manager. So, using the web interface is the preferred way. I was just saying armbian images are not official OMV images and that is one of the reason they are doing it their way.

Do the directories for the Monitoring statistics get moved to RAM?

Three of them do but not every directory on the system can be added. You would need a lot more ram. The plugin also only puts directories in ram that aren't critical to the system functioning if they are lost.

An outrage. When is OpenMiracleVault due??

When it is ported to Windows....

• My curiosity has me itching to try adding the network interface in the GUI to see what happens, particularly with the monitoring. But safety first:

1. Is there a way to recover if the network configuration goes wrong? I plan to just add the ethernet device, set the IPv4 method to DHCP, and nothing else. The Odroid HC2 is headless and the ethernet port is the only network interface, so if I did something stupid like setting IPv4 to disabled... it would be nice if there is a recovery method other than reinstalling.

2. If the ethernet device is added in the GUI (networkd) and then it is removed, would I end up back in the current functioning state (network manager), or could it mess things up, possibly resulting in an inaccessible broken system?

• 1. Is there a way to recover if the network configuration goes wrong?

Create an image of your OMV installation with e.g. Clonezilla before doing major changes or other potential 'dangerous' experiments.
    Or make your test in a VM environment.

...or could it mess things up, possibly resulting in an inaccessible broken system?

My personal experience says "Yes" :)

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

You´re joking

For the most part. It is possible to install Debian in Windows Subsystem for Linux and in someone wrote a filesystem drive like Volker mentions here, OMV might actually work but that is gross...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I used to add the network interface and also set a fixed IP in the GUI for my HC2. Worked fine. But I don't do that anymore. Also works fine.

Now I rely on my small Gl-inet router to handle IP assignments and assigning name. Only one problem: The GUI for the Gl-inet router is for some reason inaccessible. I can login, but then it is blank. I use the Gl-inet router for DHCP, and local DNS using dnsmasq and also to bridge between 4G on my phone and the WiFi mesh. But everything still works fine, also after power cycling the router.

At some point I will have to reset the Gl-inet router back to factory settings and add everything back. If it still works. Oh, well...

The "correct" way, in my opinion, is to use DHCP to assign the IP. And use the DHCP server to manage the IPs. Preferably also the network names using dnsmasq. How you achieve this is up to you. With or without configuring the network interface manually. Since it is one less thing to go wrong, I just use the default settings and don't touch it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are using defaults on an armbian image, you are using dhcp with network-manager. If want to add a network adapter in the OMV web interface and set it to dhcp then remove the network-manager package to do things the "OMV" way, there should be no danger in doing this. I would have the omv install script I wrote remove network-manager and add the network adapter except a few people insist on using wireless and I feel network-manager does a better job with wireless.

• Create an image of your OMV installation with e.g. Clonezilla before doing major changes or other potential 'dangerous' experiments.

Good point. Taking a disk image of an SD card should be easy enough, and might as well have peace of mind.

I used to add the network interface and also set a fixed IP in the GUI for my HC2.

Setting a fixed IP in OMV could cause problems, no? eg. if moving it to a different network or changing subnet etc.

If want to add a network adapter in the OMV web interface and set it to dhcp then remove the network-manager package to do things the "OMV" way

Is it necessary to remove network-manager? I would hope to be able to easily revert my changes.

The HC2 has no wireless adapter anyway, so that's a non-issue in this case.

I would have the omv install script I wrote remove network-manager and add the network adapter

What script is this? It is for maintenance/configuration?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it necessary to remove network-manager?

No but I think you are too worried about this going wrong.

What script is this? It is for maintenance/configuration?

Readme says it all. https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…-Developers/installScript I didn't want to build a ton of images for ARM boards. So, the script does everything needed to get OMV working on arm images from armbian and RPi foundation. It also works on x86 systems.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!