Trying to install Plex with Portainer in OMV5

• I have tried to install plex through OMV5 docker following DB Tech video which worked but I can not claim the plex server - tried every solution I could find but still can not claim the server.

So I am going to try the installation from this thread.

Question I have is the /transcode volume, as many of the other installations do not have /transcode.

Presumably, itsOK to bind my /trancode folder on the same SD card which has my /appdata containers even though it is only a 32GB SD card - will transcoding movies use up this storage or do I need a bigger/separate drive? Also, do the files in the transcoding get deleted once the movie has finished etc?

Then I noticed TDL has a video using Handbrake to transcode movies, so not sure if all also need to install Handbrake?

• You don't need Handbrake.

Setting a /transcode location in the docker is no longer required, it has become an optional setting.

You probably shouldn't be using your rootfs (OMV SD card) for anything docker related. Use a data hard drive instead. In particular, using the rootfs for the Plex docker /config volume is a major mistake.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You don't need Handbrake.

Setting a /transcode location in the docker is no longer required, it has become an optional setting.

You probably shouldn't be using your rootfs (OMV SD card) for anything docker related. Use a data hard drive instead. In particular, using the rootfs for the Plex docker /config volume is a major mistake.

OK thanks.

But just to clarify my OMV5 image is on a hard drive which is separate from my SD card which has Docker and all of the containers/appdata - are you suggesting this is a major mistake?

• I use this HOWTO: [How-To] Install Plex Media Server (PMS) container using OMV and docker-compose

• OK thanks.

But just to clarify my OMV5 image is on a hard drive which is separate from my SD card which has Docker and all of the containers/appdata - are you suggesting this is a major mistake?

Then that would be OK. But what is the purpose of using an SD card for data in the first place, especially it being so small?

Also the Plex /config volume can grow to be quite large, depending on how large your media collection is and how you have made certain settings in Plex.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I am getting the same issue using this installation. Still can't claim my Plex server even though its on the same network. Have tried add Plex Claim environment variable and other things I researched on google. Even tried the claim.it github exe file

Look for answers in the Plex user forums, this comes up frequently.

https://forums.plex.tv/

--

• Then that would be OK. But what is the purpose of using an SD card for data in the first place, especially it being so small?

Also the Plex /config volume can grow to be quite large, depending on how large your media collection is and how you have made certain settings in Plex.

My media collection is on a separate hard drive (4TB), so will my SD card (32gb) be used up?

I assumed that 32GB would be enough for just the config files used by various containers (plex, urbackup, LMS and eventually zoneminder). If not, then I will need to replace the SD card with a much bigger hard drive?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Then I noticed TDL has a video using Handbrake to transcode movies

That video guide is for users with SBC servers that don’t have the cpu muscle to transcode on the fly. For my NanoPi M4 I have HandBrake installed on my Mac and transcode manually. It’s an extra step but it works for me. Page 11 of the OMV5 User Guide has helpful information on cpu requirements for transcoding.

Presumably, itsOK to bind my /trancode folder on the same SD card which has my /appdata containers even though it is only a 32GB SD card -

Your card should only have your OS on it. There is a setting in omv-extras tab - in the docker tab to set storage path to a folder on your storage drives. All of your data folders ( including AppData) should be on hhd or ssd drives, not an sd card.

• Ok thanks - what is the ideal storage size for my docker/container HDD. Hopefully, if I get there, I hope to have the following containers/config files only: Plex, urbackup, Zoneminder, LMS running.

Will 500gb be more than enough?

• My media collection is on a separate hard drive (4TB), so will my SD card (32gb) be used up?

I assumed that 32GB would be enough for just the config files used by various containers (plex, urbackup, LMS and eventually zoneminder). If not, then I will need to replace the SD card with a much bigger hard drive?

I'm not talking about your media collection. I am talking about what Plex does with it when it generates its metadata. This metadata is placed into the /config volume. And as I said, how large this gets depends on how much media you have (this always grows over time) and what options you use in Plex.

At one time my metadata was well over 220GB. But I decided disable the Generate video preview thumbnails (this is disabled by default) and now my metadata is more manageable at about 50GB.

Most dockers have small configurations that will be OK on a small drive. But there are exceptions. And the Plex Docker /config volume is one of them.

--

• I'm not talking about your media collection. I am talking about what Plex does with it when it generates its metadata. This metadata is placed into the /config volume. And as I said, how large this gets depends on how much media you have (this always grows over time) and what options you use in Plex.

At one time my metadata was well over 220GB. But I decided disable the Generate video preview thumbnails (this is disabled by default) and now my metadata is more manageable at about 50GB.

Most dockers have small configurations that will be OK on a small drive. But there are exceptions. And the Plex Docker /config volume is one of them.

Thanks gderf, I was also talking about the config files as well but I did not appreciate that the plex metadata could get so high on my docker drive, so i need to move this onto another HDD. LMS will probably use up more space for the music metadata

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!