Trying to install Plex with Portainer in OMV5

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have had that before, but I'm not sure how I corrected it. Try logging out and back in, reloading the page, clearing your browser cache. I am sorry I can't be any more help. If all else fails, get a large hammer.

• I think it was this article which I followed last time. One person mentions that logging in through http://192.168.1.101:32400/web/index.html doesn't work but it works fine if login through plex.tv/web. I tried that just now and now I can at least see my library options on the left but it still says that my OMV server is not online even though I can reach it through Windows explorer just fine.

I found more info on Plex website. It suggests to log out of all Plex accounts and the Plex server, then to log back into the Plex server. So I removed my server from the device list for it to log out but now when I try to log back in I get "There was an error signing in". If I then type plex.tv/web it will automatically sign me in but then I'm not really in my Server, rather just my account or something it seems

How did I mess this up so badly?

Version: 7.0-32 (Sandworm)

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-18-amd64

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von RUsum1 ()

• How would I completely remove Plex from my server? Maybe it would be best to just start over for some reason.

If you installed it as a Docker in Portainer, then find it in the list of Containers, put a check in its box and press the Remove button.

You can manually empty or delete the database directory that is pointed to by the /config container path.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Okay I'm coming back to this now. I put it on the back burner for a little bit but would really like to get it up and running.

I uninstalled Plex but now somehow my Portainer is completely messed up. While in my OMV page it says No Portainer Container Found and clicking on the installation button gives me "DNS error. Exiting ..."
    What the heck happened? I just updated several things today and my Docker shows that it's 5:19.03.5~3-0~debian-buster

• Every time I feel like I'm making progress, I hit a road block.

I updated my OMV through the Update Manager (now on 5.2.3-2). Then I went back to extras and removed Docker then re-added it. This time when I click Add Portainer it works. (Should I still run that OMV-firstaid line even though Portainer is working again?)

Now I'm back in Portainer and when I go to the images tab to try and add the Plex image, a red bubble pops up that says "something something something connection refused". If I remember correctly, it automatically pulled up in the Images tab for me to pull

Edit 1: I clicked your link macom. I have three users created already but I don't really even know what benefit that gives. I thought that was for each computer to access my shares but I don't think that's it. So I have to create a user specifically for Docker? I didn't have that before and I kind of got Plex to work so I'm just curious what the reason is for that step.

Edit 2: What steps are needed to get the plex image to show up in Portainer?

Thank you

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von RUsum1 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can use any user to run the container. It should not be "root" and the user must have access to the media files (in case of Plex).

No need to pull the image in Portainer manually. If you run the docker-compose file in Portainer the image will be pulled automatically.

• You can use any user to run the container. It should not be "root" and the user must have access to the media files (in case of Plex).

No need to pull the image in Portainer manually. If you run the docker-compose file in Portainer the image will be pulled automatically.

This is why I keep getting confused. You say the user must have access to the media files but I had a thread before asking how the users are actually used. There doesn't seem to be anything that uses the usernames on each computer. I have no idea what "user" my laptop is considered but it can access all of my files just fine. My desktop cannot though (both are running Windows 10). On my desktop I can open a browser, navigate to 192.168.1.3 and log into OMV with any of the accounts I have set up, but when I try to actually open the folder in the network tab to view my shared files it says I don't have access.

Also, at what point exactly does the Plex image get pulled automatically now? From the OMV screen I click OMV Extras > Docker Tab > Portainer Dropdown and click Open Web > Log in > Local. From here it doesn't matter where I go (images or container>add container) but I don't get anything to give me a Plex image. The only thing that shows up in the window is portainer/portainer:latest (like in the first post). When I first made this thread I went straight to the container tab to try and set everything up and people said I had to go to the image tab first to pull the Plex image. That worked then but it's not working now so I have no idea what step I'm missing.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von RUsum1 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

When you create a user in the GUI of OMV he is by default added to the group called "users".
    When you create a shared folder in the GUI of OMV the owner of that folder is "root", group is "users" with read/write rights for this group.
    So every user can read/write data in every shared folder. But only on file system level. That means when you access for example via ssh.

If you want to access the data via a service, e.g. samba, you need to fine the access rights separately via privileges in the GUI of OMV.

Also, at what point exactly does the Plex image get pulled automatically now?

The image will be pulled when you run the docker-compose file in Portainer, i.e. when you deploy the stack in Portainer as described here:
    [How-To] Use docker-compose files in Portainer
    This is also linked in the Plex How-To.

Of course you don't have to do it like this, but I think it is the simplest way. YMMV

• I may have gotten it now. It is loading my TV shows right now so I don't know if it will work on my Apple TV yet.

Just in case anything is wrong I want to clear up some confusion:
    You have
    - /path/to/tvseries:/tv #adjust according your setup
    I have two different hard drives with TV shows on them (live action and cartoons). I had the full path correct and then included the ":/tv" but that seemed to mess it up in the actual container. I edited the container in Portainer which seems to have fixed it. Should I have labeled them ":/TV Live" and ":/TV Cartoon" from the start?
    Same thing for - /path/to/movies:/movies #adjust according your setup; add more volumes if needed (I have two movie hard drives)

- /path/for/transcoding:/transcode #adjust according your setup, drive must be mounted exec. What does "drive must be mounted exec." mean? I created a path for transcodes AppData > Plex > Transcodes and used that for this line. Is that correct? And this will only be used if my device that is actually trying to stream the file doesn't have the capability? For example, my AppleTV 4k shouldn't have to have anything transcoded ahead of time (like x265 4k video) because it can handle it on its own?

edit: I can see all of my files but they won't play on my Apple TV 4k. For all of them I get "Conversion failed. The transcoder exited due to an error." Even h264 encodes. Also, clicking Library in any of my categories just gives me a spinning wheel and never loads a list of my stuff

edit 2: According to Techno Dad's video, Plex only supports mp4 using h264 video and aac audio. Is this true? I went through my movies and I have one movie that is like that which actually works on my Apple TV. So how do I get the rest of my stuff to work?

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von RUsum1 ()

• Hmmm. I can't even do the first step. I don't have Shellinabox anywhere

edit: I realized that screen is the same as Putty. I did the first few steps but when I get to omv-mkconf fstab I get an error that says "-bash: omv-mkconf: command not found". So it didn't work because when I reboot the system and log back in to do the last part of the video, my discs still show NOEXEC

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von RUsum1 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

In omv5: omv-salt deploy run fstab

• I followed the video again. My nano file still showed that noexec was removed so hitting CTRL-X to save it didn't prompt anything this time. It just went back to the original screen. Running the omv-salt deploy run fstab command caused a lot of blue and green text to appear in Putty.
    ID: mount_filesystem_mountpoint_numbersnumbersnumbers
    Function: mount.mounted
    Name: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WD5tb1
    Result: True
    Comment: Target was already mounted
    Started: 07:43:30.871041
    Duration: 1335.237 ms
    Changes:
    ----------
    umount:

Forced remount because options (acl) changed

Under that it showed

Summary for debian
    -------------
    Succeeded: 13 (changed=6)
    Failed: 0
    -------------
    Total states run: 13
    Total run time: 2.021 s
    root@OMVnas:~# ID: mount_filesystem_mountpoint_numbersnumbersnumbers
    -bash: ID:: command not found
    root@OMVnas:~# Function: mount.mounted
    -bash: Function:: command not found
    root@OMVnas:~# Name: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WD5tb1
    -bash: Name:: command not found
    root@OMVnas:~# Result: True
    -bash: Result:: command not found
    root@OMVnas:~# Comment: Target was already mounted
    -bash: Comment:: command not found
    root@OMVnas:~# Started: 07:43:30.871041
    -bash: Started:: command not found
    root@OMVnas:~# Duration: 1335.237 ms
    -bash: Duration:: command not found
    root@OMVnas:~# Changes:
    -bash: Changes:: command not found
    root@OMVnas:~# ----------
    -bash: ----------: command not found
    root@OMVnas:~# umount:
    -bash: umount:: command not found
    root@OMVnas:~# Forced remount because options (acl) changed
    -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

When I went to reboot my server from the web interface it kept giving me an error and wouldn't reboot. I had to press the power button so it would go through its shutdown process. Then when turning it back on and checking Putty again using the proc/mount command, it still shows noexece is there. So what went wrong this time?

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von RUsum1 ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!