Trying to install Plex with Portainer in OMV5

• Carefully look around in /etc/openmediavault/config.xml in the <fstab> <mntent> section and see what mount options are specified there.

If you see in <opts> noexec, then change it to exec, save the file, then run omv-salt deploy run fstab again.

Be careful when editing config.xml. I suggest making a backup copy first.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have other disks mounted other than the one installed with your Plex folders? Every mounted disk has a noexec tag. You may have removed it from some other disk. Good luck.

• Carefully look around in /etc/openmediavault/config.xml in the <fstab> <mntent> section and see what mount options are specified there.

If you see in <opts> noexec, then change it to exec, save the file, then run omv-salt deploy run fstab again.

Be careful when editing config.xml. I suggest making a backup copy first.

Do you have other disks mounted other than the one installed with your Plex folders? Every mounted disk has a noexec tag. You may have removed it from some other disk. Good luck.

Alright I went back into the /etc/openmediavault/config.xml file and notice that only one of the discs had the noexec line removed. Is it better to just remove that line or to change it to EXEC? Following the video, TechnoDad simply deletes that part. I went ahead and just deleted NOEXEC from the lines, but if you recommend it then I'll come back in and type in EXEC in its place if that's better

Thank you

edit: after running omv-salt deploy run fstab and then exiting I tried to do a reboot from the web interface and I got an error again and it doesn't reboot. It will just pop up with "An error has occurred" and gives me an option to press OK. This then gets rid of that window for a little bit and shows the reboot window but the error just comes back after a little bit. I have been updating my system as new updates come out. It now shows that I'm running 5.2.7-1 (not sure if this matters for my issue)

edit 2: while typing my edit I kept clicking OK in the error box. This eventually led to me getting a flashing error at the top of the screen saying I don't have permission and to click the left mouse button. I clicked it and it prompted me to log in again. So maybe it rebooted like it was supposed to but that is a very confusing way to show it.

edit 3: Most things seem to be working now. Some of the files still give me "Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or failed to install." I have to see what the pattern is for those files

Version: 7.0-32 (Sandworm)

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-18-amd64

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von RUsum1 ()

• I change noexec to exec. That way it is clear what you have done.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

“exec” can’t hurt.

• I still don't know why some of my files won't play. It only seems to be movies. I thought it was 4k at first but then a 4k file of mine did work. Then a 1080p movie did not work. So I take it this is a Plex issue and not an OMV issue?

• I think the issue is with DTS HD audio maybe. Is there something I have to install onto my NAS to force it to transcode just the audio file?

Is logging into http://192.168.1.35:32400/web/index.html# how I'm supposed to be able to change all of my settings? Because this seems very limited in what I can do to my server. For instance, I want to allow access from outside of my network. Guides tell me Settings > Server > Remote Access. I click on the Settings icon in the top right (wrench and screwdriver) but there is no Server option to click from there. So where is this option located?

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von RUsum1 ()

• I think the issue is with DTS HD audio maybe. Is there something I have to install onto my NAS to force it to transcode just the audio file?

Is logging into http://192.168.1.35:32400/web/index.html# how I'm supposed to be able to change all of my settings? Because this seems very limited in what I can do to my server. For instance, I want to allow access from outside of my network. Guides tell me Settings > Server > Remote Access. I click on the Settings icon in the top right (wrench and screwdriver) but there is no Server option to click from there. So where is this option located?

Yes that is the correct address. On the left menu you should see section headings <Your Login Name>, Plex Web, <Your Server Name> Status, Settings. Under settings you should see Remote Access.

• Yes that is the correct address. On the left menu you should see section headings <Your Login Name>, Plex Web, <Your Server Name> Status, Settings. Under settings you should see Remote Access.

Sometimes when I log in, it says error signing in. Right now it's not letting me log in even after telling me I'm successful. Been doing that for about an hour now

edit: Chrome worked but Firefox was giving me errors. Maybe it was a browser issue. I also get a lot more options when signed in through Chrome. Remote access shows up on the left side for me now. However it tells me my server is not accessible. (I do have a post in an OpenVPN topic on here trying to get that solved.)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von RUsum1 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try clearing your browser cache, and/or refreshing your page.

• Hey all, I followed TechnoDadsLife video to a T on youtube. The problem I am having is that when I start up the container. I am getting a continual loop of "starting plex media server" in the log. I have attached a picture below. The web ui is not accessible at all. Any idea how to fix this?

Fixed this. It was because I had my appdata folder on the unionfs system. Moved the appdata folder to a single drive and all is well now!

• I too am having a similar issue like becksworth. I have my appdata on the root drive currently since it would not work on the shared drive created with unionfs, at least not for plex, sonarr, radarr, and lidarr. The movies and tvshows directories along with other dockers such as jacket, jdownloader, mylar, and qbittorrent work fine in the appdata fodler created with unionfs but not the appdata for plex and a few others for some reason. I will have to move the config for plex from my root drive to one of the data disks since it is getting quite big and will eventually fill it up.

Anyone know why this is or how to fix?

• You do not want to use a /sharedfolders/xxxxx path in any Docker Volume or Bind Mounts. Use the actual filesystem path instead. Using a UnionFS path for this purpose is also not a good idea.

--

• I am not using the /sharedfolders path anymore. I did initially after following tutorials from TechnoDadLife but stopped after the previous 2 OMV updates where I learned that it was being disabled by default or something to that effect. This is what I am currently using for my volumes setup. Only the appdata is stored on root:

https://drive.google.com/open?…_BEg05MeVzhXjbDhnmZAtvEf2

**update**

I have now setup an appdata folder on disk3 and was able to successfully transfer all the settings from plex, sonarr, radarr, lidarr, and lazylibrarian.

gderf, I do need to ask though why is it a bad idea to have the config files located on the shared folder created with unionfs? The benefit from what I can tell in doing so would be that I don't have to worry about any particular disk running out of storage as it will span any drive with the most available space on it. Still an extreme newb on all of this so looking to learn.

• The reasons I would not use a unionfs mount point for docker configs are:

Depending on your create policy used for the union, it's possible to have the /config for any particular docker split across more than one drive. If the union becomes unmounted or fails to mount or any particular drive in the union fails to mount, this can break the docker. Same problem for the containers themselves (the so called docker base path or Docker Storage path).

It's possible to have a race condition such that the docker service is started before the unionfs is mounted. This can also break the dockers that have their config (and data) on a unionfs.

I run fifteen dockers here. I keep their configs and the docker base path on an ordinary drive, not on a unionfs mount. The total amount of data they take up is 900MB for the configs and 19GB for the containers. There won't be any problems running out of room as these dockers don't grow much over time and the disk has over 150GB of free space. The only exception is the Plex docker /config. This is also on an ordinary drive and it currently takes up 33GB. This will grow over time but I don't expect to run out of room on that drive any tile soon. This data used to take up over 220GB when I had Plex configured to create thumbnail images. But I don't do that anymore - the space requirements to use that feature are unreasonable to me.

--

• You do not want to use a /sharedfolders/xxxxx path in any Docker Volume or Bind Mounts. Use the actual filesystem path instead. Using a UnionFS path for this purpose is also not a good idea.

When you say you want the folder in the filesystem path, are you referring to the drive that OMV is installed? Right now I think my AppData folder is a shared folder on one of my 5TB drives.

edit: also does AppleTV4k now play TrueHD audio? I was recently able to open some movie files that gave me problems in the past. When I go into my Plex WebGUI I see the movie in Now Playing. When clicking the movie I see
    VIDEO = 4K (HEVC Main 10 HDR)
    AUDIO = English (TRUEHD 7.1)
    So does this mean it's playing the file untouched? No transcode? If so, that's great news!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von RUsum1 ()

• When you say you want the folder in the filesystem path, are you referring to the drive that OMV is installed? Right now I think my AppData folder is a shared folder on one of my 5TB drives.

When you created the shared folder you:

Specified a data drive,
    Specified a folder on that drive, or allowed OMV to create the folder if it did not already exist. In your case you say it is AppData.

The actual path in the filesystem path would look something like this:

/srv/dev........./........./AppData

This is what you should be using. Do NOT use /sharedfolders/AppData

--

• I cant see any file on plex.
    this is the container:
    /config /srv/dev-disk-by-label-omvapps/APPdata/Plex (ssd partition on the same omv os disk)
    /photos /srv/dev-disk-by-label-descargas/Media/photos (hdd)
    /movies /srv/dev-disk-by-label-descargas/Media/movies (hdd)

if i change:
    /config /srv/dev-disk-by-label-descargas/Media/Plex (hdd)

/movies /srv/dev-disk-by-label-descargas/Media/movies (hdd)
    i dont see the files.

if i change:
    /config /srv/dev-disk-by-label-omvapps/APPdata/Plex (ssd partition on the same omv os disk)
    /movies /srv/dev-disk-by-label-omvapps/APPdata/movies (ssd partition on the same omv os disk)
    i can see the movies.

I want to keep de config on the ssd but the media on the hdd, whats wrong?

• The vast majority of problems experienced with Plex are the permission and ownership of the files being such that Plex can not read them.

It is impossible to debug this without knowing what the permissions and ownership are and what user and group the Plex container runs as.

Suit yourself, but having the Plex container /config mapped volume directory on the system drive is not a good idea unless you know what the full implications of doing this are.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!