Trying to install Plex with Portainer in OMV5

• I followed Techno Dad's video here to set up OMV5 in the beginning
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acQyhzJNEX8

Then I followed his video regarding OMV extras because he said this was an updated take regarding that
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52GiUzDCGfs

Then I tried to install Plex following this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzMSuRyfMS0
    I went through the whole thing but it turns out I can't even get past the first part.

I clicked Add Container and where it says Image, the only option that comes up when typing any letter is "portainer/portainer:latest". Do I need to do something with that before getting "linuxserver/plex"? If so, what do I do with the portainer image?

If I simply type "linuxserver/plex" or "linuxserver/plex:latest" both give an error that says "no such image".

Thanks for any help

Version: 7.0-32 (Sandworm)

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-18-amd64

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should only need to start typing the word plex and there should be a drop down with linuxserver/plex:latest listed. Click on it and the field will fill.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• You should only need to start typing the word plex and there should be a drop down with linuxserver/plex:latest listed. Click on it and the field will fill.

The only thing that ever pops up when typing anything is "portainer/portainer:latest". Nothing else comes up. I typed each letter one at a time in the box to see if anything else would come up and nothing did.

• The only things that will "pop up" there are images that were installed in the past - a history.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Okay, go to the images tab and start from there.

• The only things that will "pop up" there are images that were installed in the past - a history.

Okay, go to the images tab and start from there.

So that step was skipped I guess. It got the image downloaded so now I'm trying the steps again. Thanks for the help

If my folders are slightly different, how would I set up the volumes? I have the following folders on different hard drives:
    TV-Cartoons
    TV-Live
    Movies1
    Movies2

so when I label the container, would I put /tv for both of my TV containers and /movie for both of my Movie containers? Would that show up in Plex as two different folders after selecting TV or Movies from the menu?

Also, am I able to go back and add volumes after the initial setup?

Thank you

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von RUsum1 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Use something like this:

Container: /TV-Cartoons
    Host: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-m4d1/Media/TV-Cartoons

Container: /TV-Live
    Host: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-m4d1/Media/TV-Live

Container: /Movies1
    Host: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-m4d1/Media/Movies1

Container: /Movies2
    Host: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-m4d1/Media/Movies2

"m4d1" is the name of my one data drive, so you might have "d1", "d2", "d3", and "d4" in the place of my one drive. "Media" is one of my shared folders, so if you are separating your media to four disks, you would want to create four shared folders: "Media1" on "d1", "Media2" on "d2", etc.

• So I can't have Plex show one menu option that includes everything in two or more folders?

And if I want to add a folder later (like if I get an additional hard drive for Movies3) can I add that later on through portainer? Or another way?

Thank you for all the help

• So I can't have Plex show one menu option that includes everything in two or more folders?

And if I want to add a folder later (like if I get an additional hard drive for Movies3) can I add that later on through portainer? Or another way?

Thank you for all the help

It sounds like you have never run Plex before?

Plex operates with user created Libraries of several types: Movies, TV Shows, Music, Photos, and Other Videos.

Each library is filled out by adding one or more directories that contain the media. You can have as many directories as you want make up a Library and you can add or remove directories at any time within the Plex application. These directories can be located on one or more disks.

To make the directories available to Plex running in a docker, you have to set up Volumes or Bind Mounts within the docker configuration. Here too you can have as many or few as you want and you can add or remove them at any time.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• It sounds like you have never run Plex before?
    Plex operates with user created Libraries of several types: Movies, TV Shows, Music, Photos, and Other Videos.

Each library is filled out by adding one or more directories that contain the media. You can have as many directories as you want make up a Library and you can add or remove directories at any time within the Plex application. These directories can be located on one or more disks.

To make the directories available to Plex running in a docker, you have to set up Volumes or Bind Mounts within the docker configuration. Here too you can have as many or few as you want and you can add or remove them at any time.

No I haven't used Plex before nor OMV until about a week ago.

I went ahead and deployed the container. Now I see the menu options to add the folders to my libraries so that is making more sense now.

But I'm still confused on how to add another drive later on since I'm doing all of this Volume Mapping now and binding folders before I "run container". To me it seems like "run container" seems final. Would I have to do volume mapping and bind and stuff again for that new folder if I want to add it?

Thank you all for all of your help

edit: Now plex is telling me that I don't have access to the server. When I try to open a library it says "No soup for you!" What did I mess up now?

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von RUsum1 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

It will probably make more sense when you begin to set up your libraries inside of Plex, but you have two stages of setting it up. First when you set up your volumes in the Plex container. That is what we have been going over. The second stage is when Plex first starts and you attach the Plex libraries to your volumes created in the first step. You will:
    1. Designate the library type: Movie, TV Shows, Music, Photos, Videos. You can use the types more than once and you don’t have to use some of them if you don’t want.
    2. Give the library a name.
    3. Choose the volume you want to link the library to.

• To add another drive later on you will have to add another Volume or Bind mount in the container. In Portainer this is done by editing the existing container, making the changes, then deploying the container again. Might be a good idea to duplicate the container first and keep the duplicate untouched as a backup (you will have to stop it though.)

Once you have added the new drive it will be visible in Plex.

No soup for you is most likely because the Plex server is not signed into your account on Plex.tv. If you don't have an account there yet create one.

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can have all of your media folders be subfolders under one shared folder (Media) on just one disk, say a 4Tb disk. You may have a special situation where you want different media types each on its own separate disk (or I may have misunderstood your first post), but I think it would be much simpler to have all of your media on one disk.

• ..........but I think it would be much simpler to have all of your media on one disk.

Some of us have large collections that span many disks. I have 6 disks that contain media - 27TB and growing. But it did start with one disk, and that lasted only a month or two. I grow at a rate of 1TB/month - that's the data cap my ISP enforces unless I want to spend a lot more money with them.

The way I have it setup here I can add a disk whenever I need to. I just have to format it and create a few empty directories on it. I don't have to change any containers, mergerfs configurations, or Plex's configuration.

--

• I think I'm understanding it more now. I'll come back to this if/when I need to Bind another volume.

I have a Plex Lifetime Pass and I'm signed into my account on my laptop. I also tried on my AppleTV 4k but it won't show anything in the libraries yet either.

As for my multiple discs, I have six 5TB hard drives. I wanted to start ripping my own movies and shows to my hard drive for ease of viewing so I'm leaving space on each drive in order to easily find stuff later on. One drive will be Music (and other stuff that doesn't have to do with Plex), one for just Cartoon TV shows, another for my live TV shows, another for half of my movies, etc.

Also, in case one drive goes bad, I don't lose everything at once. I will keep a backup copy of my important stuff on an external hard drive, but for movies I own, I might have to just re-rip the discs later on if I lose them.

I was considering a RAID5, but then I read how if a drive does fail it may take a super long time to rebuild the failed drive and in the process might harm another disk. It might just be fearmongering but I figure it's easier to just make a duplicate copy of stuff I know I need backups of.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von RUsum1 ()

• Plex is very sensitive to permissions. If your media's ownership and permissions are not consistent with Plex's requirements, you will never be able to create libraries.

--

• I'm getting very close to getting this to work but not fully.

I can see my media now but it's saying my connection is indirect. I found this link that describes it. OttoKerner had a couple of suggestions. One is that something changed in the firewall. I haven't done anything to the firewall and my network still says "secured" instead of "public" (if that's what I'm supposed to be looking for). So I went on to step 2.

I am using Tomato firmware on an R7000 router. I was able to find where to change the DNS to manual and add 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I can't find anything related to "define an exemption from ‘DNS rebinding protection’ (this is a feature of your router) for subdomains of the plex.direct domain." I don't know if my router can't do this or I just don't know where to look. Maybe there is an easier solution entirely? Does Plex somehow need the password to OMV to gain access?

And I don't know if it's related to this "indirect connection" issue, but some of my files won't play at all. It seems like AVI files are giving errors whereas MP4 files play fine. The AVI files play just fine if I open the file itself, they just won't work through PLEX on my PC nor my AppleTV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Some of us have large collections that span many disks. I have 6 disks that contain media - 27TB and growing.

Wow! And I thought switching to an 8TB disk was a leap.

Might be a good idea to duplicate the container first and keep the duplicate untouched as a backup (you will have to stop it though.)

Nice tip.

• Try connecting to Plex like this, change the IP address to be the local IP address of your OMV machine:

Code
    http://192.168.1.51:32400/web/index.html#

Or try this URL:

Code
    https://app.plex.tv/

Also, post the full URL you are trying to connect with, the one that complains about an indirect connection.

Plex does not need the OMV password. Ignore DNS rebinding for now. And your router/firewall aren't involved either if your OMV machine and clients are on the same LAN.

Some files play, others do not. Very typical experience when the files that do play are being played directly off the disk, and the ones that do not play must be transcoded because the client program can not play them directly and the required transcoding is broken in some way.

The most common cause of broken transcoding in Plex is that the disk that holds the Plexmediaserver/Library is mounted with the noexec option. When running in a Docker this disk is the one on the host being pointed to by the /config Volume or Bond Mount definition.

Look in your /etc/fstab file and examine the mount statements for your data disks. If you see 'noexec' there, that disk will not allow programs stored on the disk to execute. And the transcoders are executable programs. Broken transcoding.

A temporary fix is to very carefully edit the fstab file and change the word noexec to exec. Do not introduce any blank space immediately after a comma in this file or the machine will not boot properly.

If that solves the problem you will need the permanent fix, one that I do not know how to do on OMV 5.x. The temporary fix will wind up getting erased sooner or later so if this solves the problem ask the following question in the forum (it will involve editing /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and then using Salt to deploy the change into fstab):

How do I change OMV5's behavior to mount disks exec rather than noexec?

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!