HP Microserver Gen 8 - USB installation's performance

• Hi,
    I have a HP Microserver Gen 8 with 8 Gb RAM running OMV 2 Stone Burner for years. I planned to upgrade to OMV5 during christmas's holiday with a new fresh installation, temporary removing data disks.
    Now I have OMV installed on SSD in ODD port, booting from an old USB stick installed on internal port but I want to change this config due to difficult and unstandard boot mode. To use the large part of 128Gb SSD as Data Disk (to run VM and Docker in the future) I have used GParted to split into 2 partition.
    To avoid USB boot and installation on different disk, i initially think to activate HW Raid on ODD port (on Bios) to make boot from SSD avaible. With this config I have to manually resize partition yet, and this is not good for future update.
    So I think to change all the config:
    - remove old internal USB stick
    - buy 16 GB USB 3.0 and mount it on rear USB 3.0 port
    - install OMV in the USB
    - install flash memory plugin (Is it still avaible on OMV5?)
    - leave the SSD as data disk, to use with Docker container
    Some question:
    Is it ok? With this config I think that upgrade will be easier (no unstandard boot mode and no losses of SSD Data in new installation ...)
    Is it better to use USB2.0? I've read problems booting from USB3 ...
    Is there performance's problems running on USB3? Is it evident slower than actual config? And on USB2?

Thanks in advice ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I suspect that flash memory on both USB 2 and USB 3 is faster than a hdd. A normal install with the flash plugin activated means almost only reads, and most of those will most likely be fully cached. So I doubt you will notice any difference between USB2 or USB3 except during install and boot.

Booting from a thumb drive makes a lot of sense! I like SanDisk Ultrafit. Small, decent quality and not too expensive.

The only thing to be careful about is to avoid installing stuff that write to the flash memory. It may cause the flash memory to wear out quickly and there most likely is limited storage on a thumb drive.

For instance docker, plex or emby by default install to /var/lib. And that is by default on the flash memory. And they may quickly use up all available storage on the rootfs with an unavoidable crash as consequence. Similar to a small thermonuclear explosion in some cases, but thankfully no lingering radiation. Your house may burn down and you may get a nice tan. (Not really...)

• I have a HP Microserver Gen 8 running OMV 2 Stone Burner for years. I planned to upgrade to OMV5 during christmas's holiday
    - install flash memory plugin (Is it still avaible on OMV5?)

Yes, flashmemory plugin is still available for OMV5, but, list of plugins for OMV 5 for now is smaller than for OMV4 (for example i still don't see docker plugin for OMV5)
    You can watch a full list of plugins available in repos here:

https://bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers

and choose USUL repos for OMV5 and arrakis for OMV4
    and as Adoby say of course some folders which are used by software must be mounted to some normal drives, not usb flash, but at least SSD (it can be changed after installation in /etc/fstab)

• For instance docker, plex or emby by default install to /var/lib. And that is by default on the flash memory. And they may quickly use up all available storage on the rootfs with an unavoidable crash as consequence. Similar to a small thermonuclear explosion in some cases, but thankfully no lingering radiation. Your house may burn down and you may get a nice tan. (Not really...)

I already partioned SSD and configured plex, emby (and virtualbox, that is still configured but switched off) to point in data-side of the SSD (to separate large data form OS data).
    I have only to riproduce the same config.

You can watch a full list of plugins available in repos here:

https://bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers

and choose USUL repos for OMV5 and arrakis for OMV4
    and as Adoby say of course some folders which are used by software must be mounted to some normal drives, not usb flash, but at least SSD (it can be changed after installation in /etc/fstab)

I see that many plugin are still missing, but I think that it's too late to install OMV4 ... If some plugin is still missing in the begin of 2020, I'll wait OMV5 official relaese (if isn't too long) ...
    I don't like to manually change fstab to point some OS dir to SSD (if it's not necessary), because often this is a problem during dist-upgrade. In plugin with large amount of data (docker, transmission, vitualbox ecc ecc) I always find an option to configure a different recipient folder, and I want to use this way ok working (if no problem still remain ...)

• I see that many plugin are still missing, but I think that it's too late to install OMV4 ... If some plugin is still missing in the begin of 2020, I'll wait OMV5 official release (if isn't too long) ...

maybe late, or maybe still no... of course if you can wait for official release, and release of plugins it's ok (i think it's ok to wait if you still using OMV2)

• maybe late, or maybe still no... of course if you can wait for official release, and release of plugins it's ok (i think it's ok to wait if you still using OMV2)

I'm using OMV2 but I want to install Home Assistant to manage my new domotic stuff.
    And the best way seems to be through Docker. But install Docker require Backport Kernel, that isn't avaiable anymore in the official OMV repo.
    So instead to manually update an old system, I want to reinstall OMV.
    During winter holiday I have some free time to reintall and reconfigure the system ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I see that many plugin are still missing, but I think that it's too late to install OMV4 ... If some plugin is still missing in the begin of 2020,

The plugins for OMV5 have already been ported, some have been dropped in favour of docker, there is a list but I keep losing @ryecoaaron link to what he has ported :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

(for example i still don't see docker plugin for OMV5)

It's in OMV-Extras tab.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's called Portainer

you'll love it...once you get use to it. Don't worry, it's worth the work to get up to speed.

• Just a hint, the Gen 8 Microserver can not boot from the USB 3 Ports.
    Only the USB 2 Ports are supported by the BIOS.

I've read something about this but you confirm this lack.
    To avoid problems with USB stick and data written, I think I'll use an unused old 500 GB 2.5 HDD with an external enclosure. I have a 3.0 enclosure but I'll bought a 2.0's one for few money.
    I've also purchased a Xeon 1220L V2 to upgrade CPU, now is very cheap :)

I can not wait Christmas's holyday to install all new stuff (new OMV and Home Assistant)!

• Hi,
    I have a HP Microserver Gen 8 with 8 Gb RAM running OMV 2 Stone Burner for years. I planned to upgrade to OMV5 during christmas's holiday with a new fresh installation, temporary removing data disks.
    Now I have OMV installed on SSD in ODD port, booting from an old USB stick installed on internal port but I want to change this config due to difficult and unstandard boot mode. To use the large part of 128Gb SSD as Data Disk (to run VM and Docker in the future) I have used GParted to split into 2 partition.

Same hardware here and same project, Upgrade from OMV2 to OMV4/5 during christmas holiday.

To avoid problems with USB stick and data written, I think I'll use an unused old 500 GB 2.5 HDD with an external enclosure. I have a 3.0 enclosure but I'll bought a 2.0's one for few money.
    I've also purchased a Xeon 1220L V2 to upgrade CPU, now is very cheap

The HP gen8 MicroServer has an internal USB port, just for this purpose.
    You can plug in an USB-Stick of 16 or 32 GB which takes the OS and really works fine. There is also an internal mSD Port, but I never used it.
    For the installation USB-stick (only at time of installation), I used one of the front USB2-ports.

Setup here as of today: 16GB Stick internal, 4xHDD in the bays, 1x SDD on ODD port.

My experience:

flash memory plugin is mandatory. Without this plugin I have destroyed an expensive SLC-Stick within half a year. With the plugin, I have used a cheap USB2-Stick (8 GB) for 2 1/2 years without any problems. But one issue: On OMV2 it was possible to set the mount-folder for remote-shares to a different target somewhere on data, on OMV 4/5 remote-mount alwayse mounts to /srv. That means, if for some reason the distant mount is not available, every copy goes to the stick and when the stick is full, the OS stops working.

My recomendation would be a quality 32Gb USB3 stick, as I noticed differences in speed (response sensivity of GUI, maybe a feeling) and the price for 32GB or 16GB is more or less the same. Nevertheless, make a full test of the stick with 'H2testw' or something similar.
    Of course a small 500 GB HDD is fine, but waste of space and waste of port.

OMV5 is recommended. I installed it recently on a small SBC (Odroid HC2) with good performance and no issues at all. Works great.

But you mentioned VirtualBox. VirtualBox is not part of OMV5 and to my understanding will not be. There are other replacements as Docker, Cockpit, a.s.o.
    I tried to get VirtualBox working from the command line together with OMV5 but I stucked with phpVirtualBox. Finally I took OMV 4 for my HP Gen8, which will be supported until 2022.
    If you are open to different ways of virtualisation, OMV5 is the state of the art OS, if VB is really required, it seems to me OMV4 is the better decision.

What really helped me a lot was a full set of screenshots of every setting inside OMV2.

Work still done?
    Any findings from your side, also about the Xeon?

Erik

• Offizieller Beitrag

Finally I took OMV 4 for my HP Gen8, which will be supported until 2022.

Debian 9 will be supported until then. OMV4 will not be supported that long although it is doubtful OMV4 will really need updates.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I also have (re)-installed omv4 during X-mas on my G8 Micro server,
    here is my setup:
    Micro SD-Card in the internal Slot (you could also use an USB stick in the internal USB Port)
    120 GB SSD connected to the internal SATA port, data drives disconnected.
    Configure the beast to boot from the internal SD/USB first.
    Use the iLO remote console to insert the OMV ISO file as virtual optical drive,
    choose "one time boot menu" to boot from the virtual optical drive,
    Install OMV on the SSD and grub on the SD/USB. (flash memory plugin not required)
    Shutdown, connect data drives and power on.
    Configure as needed ...

Enjoy,
    Thomas

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!