Setup growing pains, wonder if anyone can explain

    • Setup growing pains, wonder if anyone can explain

      I posted this on Reddit, but was recommended to ask here.

      I am trying to do a thing, but I suck at it.

      I followed technodadlife’s videos about OMV 4 setup, Merger, Snap RAID and Plex. I feel, that I am having issues with Plex - which is my main reason for the server. I am also starting off with Plex, so I can get better at this thing, and I can do more with it. Things are working, but I am not sure I know what I am doing myself, and I feel like I am just following someone else’s directions. I know I am missing things conceptually because I am new to Linux first and foremost.

      1) there are commands that take place out of GUI, in the command line environment that I do not understand what they do. As an example I ran into noexec issue with Plex (I think), and I have no clue what technodadlife did to get me through it

      2) I ran into shared folder issues. I am trying to have a docker container Plex to point to shared folders within a union merger pool, but while I can see “media” folder I created, I cannot see “movies” folders within. Again this is within the container. So after some research I am pointing Plex container at a directory within /srv folder that is the union merger pool folder. I think this works OK, but I have no clue why shared folders don’t work, and especially where my data is stored.

      ***I am embarrassed by my stupidity enough I created a new username in Reddit. So please understand I know I am not smart.

      3) I assume I am having issues with permissions. I created a user - let’s call him “banana” and gave him all the permissions and he is part of all groups under the OS. This seem dangerous, but OK. So this user has a UID and GUID that I can identify. Cool. He should have access, yet I cannot point Plex container to the shared folders. Ok. I did the workaround from #2. However, I do not understand why the PUID and PGUID should be banana’s, and not admin’s or root’s. Please explain. These user seem to access everything, but when I log into GUI as banana, I cannot do anything. I can only change OMV stuff as admin. Which is. Weird. To me, since banana has permissions to everything.

      4) I got UniFi container to work. That made me feel good. And Plex is currently churning through 7 TB of data and trying to pull it, so I have to wait to see, if I can even use my files. But damn. The one thing I got to work without fail is I can see my shared folders on Windows box on the network. But I worry I am missing a ton of OMV functionality, do not know how to be self sustainable, and worry I will screw up my data or Plex at some point. I think some of the issues I am having, are related to being on Snap Raid and Union Merger instead of straight no chaser system.

      5) In the future I would want to expand my storage and server stack with a better box, and definitely attach a NAS. But at this rate, I feel like I am stupid enough, I cannot handle Plex.

      If anyone has anything to add, correct, explain, teach, I would appreciate it. All previous OMV guides I found just speak as if I already understood the file structure. I am not techno illiterate, can code, and am not scared of command line at all, and have experience with these things even. I just do not know what I am doing with Linux, OMV, Plex, and apparently life.

      Sorry for the long post.

      I have more questions (starting over with OMV 5? Migrating merger and raid structure to OMV 5? How hard is it to start over with unifi controller if I wipe?), but I think those above are the main ones.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    • I didn´t read your post in any detail. But regarding the Plex installation have a look at this thread: Trying to install Plex with Portainer in OMV5

      Or this: Plex install in OMV5

      And a third one: [How-To] Install Plex Media Server (PMS) container using OMV and docker-compose
      OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304

      The post was edited 2 times, last by cabrio_leo ().

    • Setup growing pains, wonder if anyone can explain

      Thank you for replying. Your suggestion was made before. I will play with portainer, but my question then becomes - am I better off wiping and starting with OMV 5? Is the video about OMV 5 applicable to OMV 4? Can I install portainer now — in other words will adding protainer now screw anything up?
      Thank you again.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    • I would start with 4, since 5 is still technically beta. Use the docker plugin to install docker, then install Portainer for container management (since the docker plugin will be gone in OMV 5).

      Portainer will run on OMV4 no problem.

      There's a lot of threads here on why the /sharedfolders links are an issue sometimes with Docker (and even moreso with the merged filesystems)...You're on the right track just using the /srv paths

      Unfortunately I don't use Plex or a merged file system, so I can't be much help. Personally I just point Kodi at a network share rather than use Plex. I find I prefer the Kodi interface to Plex anyway.
      Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by KM0201 ().

    • Setup growing pains, wonder if anyone can explain

      KM0201 wrote:

      I would start with 4, since 5 is still technically beta. Use the docker plugin to install docker, then install Portainer for container management (since the docker plugin will be gone in OMV 5).

      Portainer will run on OMV4 no problem.


      Will do.
      Am I going to have to rebuild the whole Plex library after I redo this? I feel like each time I mess with settings in Plex container I wind up having to do that.
      That is besides the point.
      Do any of the shared folder issues, noexec or anything like that get solved with portainer?


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    • Setup growing pains, wonder if anyone can explain

      cabrio_leo wrote:

      Sidindi wrote:

      am I better off wiping and starting with OMV 5? Is the video about OMV 5 applicable to OMV 4? Can I install portainer now — in other words will adding protainer now screw anything up?
      I´m sorry, I can´t answer your questions. I don´t use Plex. Also I have no experience with OMV5. Only when OMV5 is finally released I will think about a change.


      That’s totally fair. My biggest reason for posting, was that I just do not understand some of the things under the hood. I don’t get some of the things that wound up preventing me from doing stuff, such as no exec issue, permissions being weird, how any settup thrives or crashes when unionmerger is introduced, etc. Thank you for checking in.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    • Setup growing pains, wonder if anyone can explain

      cabrio_leo wrote:

      Sidindi wrote:

      am I better off wiping and starting with OMV 5? Is the video about OMV 5 applicable to OMV 4? Can I install portainer now — in other words will adding protainer now screw anything up?
      I´m sorry, I can´t answer your questions. I don´t use Plex. Also I have no experience with OMV5. Only when OMV5 is finally released I will think about a change.


      That’s totally fair. My biggest reason for posting, was that I just do not understand some of the things under the hood. I don’t get some of the things that wound up preventing me from doing stuff, such as no exec issue, permissions being weird, how any settup thrives or crashes when unionmerger is introduced, etc. Thank you for checking in.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    • Sidindi wrote:

      KM0201 wrote:

      I would start with 4, since 5 is still technically beta. Use the docker plugin to install docker, then install Portainer for container management (since the docker plugin will be gone in OMV 5).

      Portainer will run on OMV4 no problem.
      Will do.
      Am I going to have to rebuild the whole Plex library after I redo this? I feel like each time I mess with settings in Plex container I wind up having to do that.
      That is besides the point.
      Do any of the shared folder issues, noexec or anything like that get solved with portainer?


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      I don't believe so... like I said it's not something I've ever had an issue with.
      Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

    • Sidindi wrote:

      gderf wrote:

      Sidindi wrote:

      Do any of the shared folder issues, noexec or anything like that get solved with portainer?
      No.
      Did not think so. But I figured I’d ask.Any of those issues easier to deal with in OMV 5?
      The changes to OMV 5 weren't that extensive (to the end user)... most of it was under the hood (updated to Buster, salt migration, etc.). The biggest change for end users, is a lot of the plugins from omv-extras for OMV 4, will not be ported to OMV 5 in favor of users being told to use docker (there's a big list around here somewhere). This includes omv extras dropping the docker plugin as it was in OMV 4. In OMV 5, the docker plugin will install docker and then provide a button to install Portainer or Cockpit for container management.

      About 6mo ago, I stopped using the docker plugin on OMV 4 and went to only using Portainer, so I could get used to it. I tested OMV 5 in Virtualbox for about 5-6 weeks, testing containers, etc. Once I was comfortable I should be able to move to OMV 5 w/o to many issues, I installed on my server about 3 weeks ago. I've had zero issues.
      Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

    • That sounds reasonable. I may stick it out with OMV 4, and just mess with portainer until I throw in a towel. I may just go to OMV 5 only once I have to. As I cannot guarantee it will solve my issues, and instead I may be in the same exact spot.

      Does portainer offer any different handling of the containers, or is it mostly a visualization of the docker/container environment?
    • You rock. I appreciate those. I have seen the video previously. I followed it, but I found that I did not understand what I was doing. So it was a cookbook approach for me.

      Additionally, I knew this forum existed, but I did NOT realize how well organized this forum actually is. So it is hundred percent on me, not seeing this as a resource it is. I appreciate you guys being here, and doing what you do. This place is amazing.
    • Sidindi wrote:

      Also, can anyone actually explain the noexec issue with OMV and Plex? What is that all about and why does it happen?
      By default, OMV mounts all data drives with the noexec option. This is a security enhancement. What it means is that if a drive is mounted noexec, any executable programs located on that drive will not be allowed to run (execute).

      Plex's transcoding can become broken this way if its metadata library is located on an OMV data drive mounted noexec. The transcoders are executable programs and will not run there.

      The reason the metadata library might wind up on a data drive is that it can become quite large - hundred of GB is not unusual. On the typical OMV installation on small drives (16-32GB is more than adequate), metadata databases located in the default location (/var/lib/plexmediaserver) will swell in time to fill the OMV rootfs drive and render the core OS inoperable.

      When running Plex in a docker, its metadata database is located on the drive pointed to by the /config container variable. The drive pointed to must not be mounted noexec. This is rarely, if ever, mentioned in Guides, instructional videos, or HOWTOs.

      This problem would have been avoided if OMVs default behavior was to mount data drives exec instead of noexec. This is a design decision and the added security comes at the expense of program breakage or the requirement of having to do the workaround configuration by hand in the shell - something many OMV users are not well versed in. A checkbox or button in the OMV GUI to "fix" this would be welcome if the default mounting behavior will remain as is - noexec.
      --
      Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

      RAID - Its ability to disappoint is inversely proportional to the user's understanding of it.

      ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380
    • gderf wrote:

      Sidindi wrote:

      Also, can anyone actually explain the noexec issue with OMV and Plex? What is that all about and why does it happen?
      By default, OMV mounts all data drives with the noexec option. This is a security enhancement. What it means is that if a drive is mounted noexec, any executable programs located on that drive will not be allowed to run (execute).
      Plex's transcoding can become broken this way if its metadata library is located on an OMV data drive mounted noexec. The transcoders are executable programs and will not run there.

      The reason the metadata library might wind up on a data drive is that it can become quite large - hundred of GB is not unusual. On the typical OMV installation on small drives (16-32GB is more than adequate), metadata databases located in the default location (/var/lib/plexmediaserver) will swell in time to fill the OMV rootfs drive and render the core OS inoperable.

      When running Plex in a docker, its metadata database is located on the drive pointed to by the /config container variable. The drive pointed to must not be mounted noexec. This is rarely, if ever, mentioned in Guides, instructional videos, or HOWTOs.

      This problem would have been avoided if OMVs default behavior was to mount data drives exec instead of noexec. This is a design decision and the added security comes at the expense of program breakage or the requirement of having to do the workaround configuration by hand in the shell - something many OMV users are not well versed in. A checkbox or button in the OMV GUI to "fix" this would be welcome if the default mounting behavior will remain as is - noexec.
      That answer, Sir, is amazing. I really, really appreciate your answer. That is what I was looking for. Just a little how the sausage is made stuff.

      If you do not mind my follow-up — I understand the security advantage and design choice. I am very OK with that. But what would be the downside to just disabling that right off the jump, in other words, if I am an OMV user, and I know Plex is in my life do I just go ahead and “customize” OMV after install? Is there a downside for a regular user?
      Also, I have encountered some Plex/OMV/Docker users do not have my issues, how does that happen to some but not all?
      Two more — how do I KNOW noexec is my issue when setting up Plex, and not something else? Is there a pathognomonoic error, or something I cannot do if noexec is enabled?
      And lastly — if I have drives in a unionmerger pool, do I have to go and disable no exec for all drives, or just the one with Plex library?

      Bonus - is there an “ideal” place to store Plex library and data? As in, is there a data structure that is recommended over just following usual guides?
    • Portainer lays out its real estate differently so it takes a while to figure out what corresponds with what. I think one of TDL’s videos lays out a cheat sheet, but Portainer has much more functionality than the docker plugin does in OMV 4.

      Whereas docker in 4 will allow you to save a container that contains errors, there are some actions that Portainer will not allow if a save is attempted. If I remember, if you forget to put a leading slash in a volume path Portainer will not allow a container save.

      Nobody has said anything about Cockpit, which is bundled under the same OMV-Extras tab. It too has image/container functionality.
      Retired. I love to garden and mess with computers. The more I mess with both the less I know about either.
      OMV 4.1.30-1 on a pair of Odroid hc2's w/ 4TB WD Blue. Running Nextcloud, Plex, & Heimdall - and a Raspberry Pi 3 running Pi-hole.
      Testing OMV 5.2.1-1 beta on an Acer Aspire T180, HP dx2400, and Nanopi M4.
    • Agricola wrote:

      Nobody has said anything about Cockpit, which is bundled under the same OMV-Extras tab. It too has image/container functionality.
      I think a lot of that is, if you're coming from the old omv-docker plugin interface... You're probably going to find Portainer very familiar.

      Either one will do the job however. Easy enough to install both and see which you like best.
      Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.