Simple, energy efficient NAS: Rock64 vs Odroid HC2

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Simple, energy efficient NAS: Rock64 vs Odroid HC2

Dear all,

I now read already a lot and tried to compare the SCB's which are best for my planned NAS:

- 1 HDD for data storage (made available by SMB)
      - 1 USB-Disk for Backup
      - low power consumption, as it should run 24/7
      - faster than a USB2 setup like Orange Pi Zero Plus

Currently I think Rock64 is the best solution:

- less energy consumption
      - possibility to connect a monitor for the case if it does not boot up
      - cheaper hardware (by the way, the prices are currently higher than what can be found in older threads, do you know why?)

Some questions for the Rock64:

1) Can I use the internal memory for the bootloader and then boot from HDD?
      2) When using the USB to SATA cable from pine64, in which cases do I need the external 12V power supply?
      3) Which would be the faster config: Both HDDs via USB3 Hub at the USB3 port / One disk via USB3 (main disk for storage), the other one via USB2?
      4) Is there another USB3 connection on the GPIO?

Is there any board out which has a power suspend / sleep mode or wake on lan functionality. I think most of the time the NAS will run in idle waiting for requests. Such kind of functionality would save a lot of power...

Thanks in advance for any comments on that!

Best regards
      Oliver
    • 1 - Sure but why do you want to boot from the hdd?

2 - Since 2.5" drives don't use 12V, you only need it when you are using 3.5" drives. Although, you need to make sure your rock64 is powered with a good power supply to power a 2.5" drive.

3 - Depends on how they are being used. Try both.

4 - No, it is just power and gpio.

Eule wrote:

Is there any board out which has a power suspend / sleep mode or wake on lan functionality. I think most of the time the NAS will run in idle waiting for requests. Such kind of functionality would save a lot of power...
      I don't see why this is necessary. An idling rock64 uses a couple of watts. Most arm devices don't have a sleep mode. Even sleep mode on some x86 boards use a much energy as an idling arm board. Just put your drives to sleep if you need ultra low energy use.
      omv 5.2.3 usul | 64 bit | 5.3 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.2.0
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Hello ryecoaaron,

the idea to boot from hdd is to avoid a corrupted SD card.
      Is there a rule of thumb about how many power is needed per hdd? The recommendation is to use a 5V / 3A power supply for the Rock64. I assume that this would be enough for two HDDs?
    • Eule wrote:

the idea to boot from hdd is to avoid a corrupted SD card.
      The flashmemory plugin helps a lot. I have run systems for years on one sd card. If you make a clone of the sd any time you make major changes, there is little to worry about.

Eule wrote:

Is there a rule of thumb about how many power is needed per hdd? The recommendation is to use a 5V / 3A power supply for the Rock64. I assume that this would be enough for two HDDs?
      Depends on the hard drive (rpm makes difference) but I haven't tried a spinning disk powered by any of my arm boards usb ports. I have all powered docks.
      omv 5.2.3 usul | 64 bit | 5.3 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.2.0
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!