Before Install OMV + JBOD

• Hello,

Before I start, must inform, I never had used nor build/install a NAS. I currently use a PC AMD FX 8350, 16Gig RAM DDR3 (2400), Asus V-Hero (Motherboard) and Sapphire Nitro R9 390 GPU, had little by little add several HDD's from 2- 4 TB's (8 total), most of them spin at 7200 (all HGST) but lately got 2 that spin at 5600, and all have movies (Except 2 2TB), music and some TV's, etc

Just ordered parts to do a new build (Ryzen) and hope to separate my HTPC (also used for work) and my Work related. So will use the mentioned PC and convert into a Home Nas, had read info in different places and most info I was able to find was to use FreeNas, was about to go there until I just learn it only rely under NZF the one must be via Raid but because all my Drives are not the same + have data, it is impossible for me. Also I'm not sure about all the Glory Raid have, seems it is good for speed but at the long run is more costly and not that reliable only better read/write speed. Then today just learn about OMV and seems it is the solution and if it is, I will need lots of info and guidance, etc

My purpose will be to have something like an extension for all my HDD's, will love to have an OS that I can add something like Emby and/or other apps, let Family and some friends install Emby on their side and let them have access to some of my files, etc

However, I'm very concern in security, must add my VPN, the Emby Connection must be protected (Https), Antivirus.. and once I add my Drives it cannot be formatted because all will have all my data, etc.

Understand, I can use OMV for most of this but after reading and searching, I cannot confirm anything regarding JBOD (understand this should be my approach) with Drives already full of data, so I'm lost. Can it be done ?
    If Yes, then How ?

PS: For player in my HTPC I use Kodi w/ Madvr... Also in the set up will like to manage the access to what exactly can use or see.. I.E. Nephew is under age, cannot watch any "R" rated Movies, only "PG", etc. lol

Any info, guidance or advice will be highly appreciated.

Sorry for my ignorance, as mentioned before this will be my 1st time, so I guess I'm a Super Novice for OMV + Nas.

Thanks,

Ralph

• Offizieller Beitrag

I cannot confirm anything regarding JBOD (understand this should be my approach) with Drives already full of data, so I'm lost. Can it be done ?
    If Yes, then How ?

Sounds like you want to pool your different size drives into one pool? Yes, you can do this with the unionfilesystems plugin.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the Reply.

Highly appreciated all the info..

Still have some concern is not answered: "once I add my Drives it cannot be formatted because all will have all my data"

In my PC I just add new Drives and divide the data, 3D Movies in Drive D, UHD in Drive Z...etc Also have 3-4 Folders per Drive, again if I add then to my OMV, I'm worry during the installation or set up, it have to delete or Format all my Drives = will lost all my Data. Must avoid this, How I can add them without losing any Data ?

Also: "I'm very concern in security, must add my VPN, the Emby Connection must be protected (Https), Antivirus"

Most videos I seen are very good at installing, however do not see any answer about my concern. What about security ?

Only the peoples I choose can gain Access and to What, I know it should be something basic but I'm starting to learn about OMV and cannot locate any basic info in this regard. Before I install OMV, I must read or see a video, to make sure it is the way to go for may purpose (seems I'm not alone).

Again, apologizes for my ignorance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How I can add them without losing any Data ?

Just mount them in the filesystems tab and create shared folders using existing folders on the drives. Pooling them with the unionfilesystem plugin won't affect your data either since it works on top of existing filesystems.

Most videos I seen are very good at installing, however do not see any answer about my concern. What about security ?

There is a openvpn plugin (with wireguard plugin in development) and video about using openvpn-as. Anything else can always be done at the OS level. If you don't open ports in your router to the system, there should be no security issues.

No idea about emby but I would imagine you can enable https and use a letsencrypt cert with that.

While I think the client should be running anti-virus, there is a clamav plugin as well.

I still you think you need to try OMV rather than having exact videos for your needs (probably not going to happen).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Thanks for the reply.

Sorry haven't reply earlier. While, I do appreciated all the help and info, I never used OMV and never really used or learn Linux + maybe there's some language barrier. I'm 99% convinced I'll use OMV at the same time, before I do install will love to read and/or watch as many videos with instructions, definitions (glossary ?) and the why/how, as possible. I guess is more of a comfort zone, what I'm searching for.

Regarding steps, from install OS to what other application, I should add, use, install or info I must follow ?

OMV purpose is: to add all my movies/TV collection, the drives are mostly full (need to make sure will not lose any data), I have Kodi w/ Madvr in my PC, hoping to add Emby (because also can be used with Madvr) for my Family + Friends. Also, to keep my Kodi in my PC but instead connecting, using and/or leaving the data inside (Drives) the PC, what to Expand/ Move the data or Drives to another PC (OMV), to start to separate or divide, my data and the management, etc.

All must be protected, SSL (?), Https via Firefox (?), also just learn about Chromium (not sure if is good idea or better than Firefox) + make sure all my main passwords are protected and no one can gain access except me. Antivirus (?)

Not sure if all my drives should be seen as one big (have all kinds of files (divided) and feel more comfortable to choose which folder "shall be shared"

Also (and sorry), Roots vs Docker ? Can you Explain, whats the difference and what it does or it's for :?:

I use PIA VPN + Vuze (you mentioned in other forum- Transmission ?) :?:

Understood, you already provide me really good info how or what to install (apps ?), to reach or apply my goals. However, I'm getting lost, regarding the order or steps I must use/follow or start with, etc.

If is possible, asking instructions steps by steps, I should I start with (after install OS). Example: Step 1 add the drives (this is how), Step 2 install SSL Certificate (this is how), Step 3 install Firefox with HTTPS (this is how)... etc. ?(

Trying to get the info here (forum), to read and be familiarized before I do the installation, etc.

And a Glossary or anything that can explain the definitions, it will be wonderful, reading lots of Linux (Debian) terms and is like someone is speaking Chinese, etc :huh:

Apologies for my ignorance, seems I keep repeating myself, maybe with this approach I'm explaining myself better.

Any guidance will be highly appreciated. 8o

Sorry for all the request.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Regarding steps, from install OS to what other application, I should add, use, install or info I must follow ?

Watch videos from here and a lot of your questions should be answered - https://forum.openmediavault.o…ntermediate-and-Advanced/

Roots vs Docker ? Can you Explain, whats the difference and what it does or it's for

Docker is basically a sandbox that is configured by a file. Since a lot of non-maintained plugins have a docker image, that is the way to go.

• Hi,

Had to put on hold the OMV build, however now I'm ready, just noticed OMV 5 is out and understand is stable. Did some google for any differences, believe all main upgrades it is under the hood but for a 1st timer, not Linux literate + my main purpose as stated before will be more like an extension for my PC, to add all my drives (NFTS) and be able to gain access from my PC. Probably will do Emby, SSH, DuckDNS.. The more I read here, the more excited I get, Anyway;

For my basic use (I guess) + will really love make sure I can install and use my VPN (PIA) in OMV in a easy, basic and similar to what I do in my Windows PC, which version is recommended to install and learn from day 1.. OMV 4 or OMV 5 :?: also making sure it will be compatible or have no issues with my system- CPU AMD64 FX8350/ RAM 2 x 8 Gb DDR3 @2400, 6-7 HDD's Full of Data/Variables Sizes, already Formatted in NFTS ?(

Will install the OS in a New SSD (128 Gb), never used, do I need to format the SSD before installation or will be done Auto by OMV ?( (apologies for the dumb question, I'm newbie)

In a video was mentioned I must add a DNS and was recommended to use Google 8.8.8.8.. Personally I don't trust Google, can I use another one, like Firefox or DuckDuck, it is possible and how :?:

Any suggestion be highly appreciated.

PS: Original post have all the videos for OMV4, if the answer is OMV5 (hoping for), will appreciates a link for all the main videos/instructions I must follow.

Thanks,

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!