AMD vs Intel for 50TB NAS build

• Offizieller Beitrag

I configure mergerfs by hand in /etc/fstab as well due to plugin only configuring on the drive level, not the share level.

The mergerfsfolders plugin allows you to pool any folders now.

I don't think it's possible to configure snapraid by hand since the plugin owns the configuration file? So i just use the plugin to make configuration changes - all other snapraid administration is done via terminal.

That is true. The plugin would overwrite any changes. But why administration via the terminal? What is the plugin missing?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I configure mergerfs by hand in /etc/fstab as well due to plugin only configuring on the drive level, not the share level.
    I don't think it's possible to configure snapraid by hand since the plugin owns the configuration file? So i just use the plugin to make configuration changes - all other snapraid administration is done via terminal.

The SnapRAID plugin doesn't own the configuration file. However, any changes you make by hand to the configuration file might get removed if you use the plugin again. If you don't need the plugin, uninstall it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The SnapRAID plugin doesn't own the configuration file. However, any changes you make by hand to the configuration file might get removed if you use the plugin again. If you don't need the plugin, uninstall it.

The config would be updated if you installed an update to the plugin as well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I just put everything together last night, powered the system on this morning and it powers up the fans for about 3 seconds, then shuts down, then does it all again. Any ideas? I tried a different power supply, that wasn't it. I left just one stick of RAM in, that didn't do it either. Thoughts? I would hate to have to dismantle everything and start over :(

• Verify that the RAM you have installed meets all requirements - correct number of sticks, installed in correct slots.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Verify that the RAM you have installed meets all requirements - correct number of sticks, installed in correct slots.

This is what I have:

MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRL-F Server Motherboard LGA 2011 R3
    CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1650 V3 Haswell-EP 3.5 GHz 6 x 256 KB L2 Cache 15MB L3 Cache LGA 2011-3 140W Server Processor BX80644E51650V3
    RAM: HYNIX HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF Hynix DDR4-2133 8GB1Gx4 ECCREG CL15 Samsung Chip Server Memory (x4)

I made sure, initially, that all the RAM sticks were loaded in the blue slots as the manual said, then I removed all but one stick, and it was still doing the same thing. SO I am at a loss. I am guessing maybe a screw post on the case somewhere shorting out the board. I won't really know until I gut it, keep the motherboard by itself with one stick and see what happens. Does the configuration above look correct?

• I have no idea what a correct configuration is. Most MB makers have qualified memory and CP lists for each of their boards. You should look there first.

--

• The missing screw situation is a typical google harvest. I would have doubts about that being the root cause.

Check that the CPU heatsink fan is plugged into the correct fan port on the motherboard. It must have at least three wires.

If there is a monitor attached does it say anything?

--

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Most motherboards will beep or show a different number on an led on the motherboard when something is wrong. Looking at the motherboard manual for your board, it should be beeping.

• @aitrus00
    For what it's worth, i've run many Supermicro server boards, and one of mine behaves almost exactly like what you describe from a cold boot. This might be because this particular system doesn't use a Supermicro OEM power supply. However I also am using a Seasonic X750 (single 12V rail) on this system that's been running 24/7 for almost 8 years now.

This system is loaded with eight 4tb 7.2k drives and eight 600g 10k drives with 32gb ECC and many add-in cards. So the cold boot start-up load is there.

When I cold boot this system, I've found that after power on I'll have to press the RESET switch at least once (maybe twice) and then it'll continue to POST. Warm boots never have this problem.

The only other thing I can suggest that you do over, is remove the CPU heatsink, re-apply minimal thermal paste, and make you that you DON'T over tighten the heatsink. It needs to be snug, and don't bottom out the threads. Try it, you may be surprised that it actually works...

Good luck

• Offizieller Beitrag

This might be because this particular system doesn't use a Supermicro OEM power supply.

I have to agree. I currently have two supermicro boards and one of them is very picky about power supplies and posting.

• Well I got it working finally. I think I was correct in my original assumption (partially) that there was a screw mount on the case that was probably shorting the board. (One didn't line up where it should have). The second thing was I think what @cadre mentioned about overtightening the CPU. I removed everything, reseated it all and voila it posted! :)

So now my question is this, I can see all 8 drives in OMV now, all formatted, here are my questions:

• What file system should each drive be to maximize the setup with UnionFS?
    • Best policy to use in UnionFS for mount options?

Also, is there anything else I should know for best practice settings for SnapRAID and UnionFS? I want to make sure I get this right from the start :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!