RPi and other SBC/armbian images

• Offizieller Beitrag

The RPi and SBC/Armbian images on sourceforge have been deleted. Please using the Raspbian Buster Lite or the proper Armbian image and follow the guide here to install OMV - https://forum.openmediavault.o…-Armbian-Supported-SBC-s/

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Dear @ryecoaaron,

I, as many others were sad to see the development and fights between certain users, which led to the original images being gone from SF.
    Anyway, what this guide for the RPI does not consider is the changes/optimizations that were specifically targeted the RPI images, as given from this now defunct link
    OMV4_for_Raspberries

Do you have any idea or backup of the things/patches that were done to these images, to make them "better" suited than just default rasbian+OMV install script?
    I recall stuff being implemented like flash2memory etc.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I, as many others were sad to see the development and fights between certain users, which led to the original images being gone from SF.

The images were deleted because they were difficult to support, didn't work well on the RPi4, and used an unsupported Armbian userland with Raspbian kernel. I used to maintain OMV RPi images. So, it isn't that I couldn't create the image. By using the raspbian buster lite image and running a script to install everything, I don't have to maintain an image and users always get the latest OMV. The install script also works on any system as well. Hopefully this yields a much better setup. So, I don't understand why anyone is sad that the images are gone.

Do you have any idea or backup of the things/patches that were done to these images, to make them "better" suited than just default rasbian+OMV install script?

That link contained files necessary to adapt the armbian userland to the RPi. They are not needed when using Raspbian Lite. The old armbian-based RPi image basically ran the armbian-config code to install OMV. My install script uses all of the optimizations from that script and more. I actually helped the author with those optimizations and the omv code on how to set them. Please try the script before getting paranoid that the RPi experience will get worse.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• When I say "sad" this is what I mean:
    As a normal end user, that was the usual way of doing this, ie. last couple of years, by downloading relevant image, plug and play, update system. Thats it.

I have spend close to 5 hours, trying to understand and read all what has happened in the mean time, as I am about to change from Odroid HC1 to RPI4 - 4GB. And also understanding the install script etc. etc.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation, which was much needed in between all the FUD going on, and I appreciate your answers, as would many others probably which are in the same "situation".

By the way
    "Please try the script before getting paranoid that the RPi experience will get worse."
    Name calling is really unnecessary, as I have some valid points in my post, which I have not seen answered anywhere before your reply to me. You yourself have directly said "I dont care about RPI". So when the only maintainer of the RPI images, and who does care, leaves the forums, there is naturally a concern, I would not call that paranoid.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As a normal end user, that was the usual way of doing this, ie. last couple of years, by downloading relevant image, plug and play, update system. Thats it.

Because writing an image and then running one command from the command line is difficult?

By the way
    "Please try the script before getting paranoid that the RPi experience will get worse."
    Name calling is really unnecessary

Paranoid is not name calling. It is a state of mind. Sorry if that offended. I just want people to have a little faith that the script will do good things and try it before worrying that everything might be bad.

You yourself have directly said "I dont care about RPI". So when the only maintainer of the RPI images, and who does care, leaves the forums, there is naturally a concern, I would not call that paranoid.

Yes, I have said that because it is very difficult and time consuming supporting the typical RPi user. Plus, the image has been terrible on the RPi4 causing even more headaches. I also said I don't care about the RPi mostly before the RPi4 was released.

And please don't tell me I don't care about something. I dedicate way more time to OMV than just about anyone and definitely more than the previous RPi image maintainer (who hated the RPi as well). Like I said, I maintained the RPi image long before the Armbian image existed. Why would I buy RPis (I have six and many other arm boards), write the script, and do so much testing on the RPi?? I also write plugins and test arm boards I don't use.

I have spend close to 5 hours, trying to understand and read all what has happened in the mean time, as I am about to change from Odroid HC1 to RPI4 - 4GB. And also understanding the install script etc. etc.

Why are you changing? The HC1 is a good board. And crashtest wrote the guide around the install script to make it easy to understand. If there is something missing, we can probably add it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So when the only maintainer of the RPI images, and who does care, leaves the forums, there is naturally a concern, I would not call that paranoid.

The notion that the previous maintainer cared about the R-PI is amusing. If fact, he was infamous for belittling users for simply buying an R-PI when they posted problems on the forum. His serial rants on the R-PI's "propriety hardware", what a piece of crap it was, etc., etc., are the stuff of infamy. Any long time forum contributor knows this. 'Nuff said on that.

From the support perspective, the image and script approach is far better than using pre-built images. Setting aside the obvious benefit of having a fully up-to-date installation at the end of the script:
    A very large part of this forums support is answering SBC questions, yet, because of past plug and play images, most users didn't know how to get on the command line and never bother to learn. There's no reason to until, of course, something goes wrong. At that point, when forum contributors ask basic questions or pass instructs on how to proceed, most users have no idea of what to do. And this comes at the worst possible time, when there's a problem.

The scripted approach exposes users to utilities needed for server maintenance like using an SSH client, along with getting on the command line and executing commands. The installation is the opportune time to teach these basic topics in that users are *motivated* to get a server up and running. The net result is a more educated user that is familiar with basic concepts and, with a bit of success from reading a document under their belt, they may be willing to read a bit more.

This is a good thing for all concerned.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Let me give you some examples:
    - The script suddenly stops working, because of some dependencies, servers down, servers change etc. etc. This has actually already happened some days ago, and you have adjusted the script accordingly. But maybe you were on vacation, or lets say, you dont have time. Then new users will have no way og getting up and running quick, and could wait days or weeks.
    - Additional things that needs to be done, which were previously not needed. Fx docker ethernet setup etc.
    - Due to OMV and Rasbian images gets updated over time things do break. Package incompatibility etc. Or OMV Raspian new way of doing implementing things which breaks others functionality.
    - Something else I have not thought of..

Valid points but the old image was vulnerable as well. One of things it did in the 30 mins you had to wait on first startup was fully update the system. Any package changes (debian, armbian, omv, etc) could have broken things as well.

I am working on the docker ethernet issue.

And I should be able keep up with OMV and raspbian updates. Having people download the script from github allows me to make tweaks/changes/fixes and people get them right away.

If I created an image, no one would use the script and people would want images for all of the popular ARM boards putting me right back in the same place of having to build and maintain images.

• I followed the complete manual, thank you.

After installing I can see the login screen for OVM. after trying to login with "admin" "openmediavault" the newxt page only shows:

Error #0:

OMV\HttpErrorException: Invalid User-Agent. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/session.inc:198

Stack trace:

#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/session.inc(208): OMV\Session->validateUserAgent()

#1 /var/www/openmediavault/index.php(34): OMV\Session->validate()

#2 {main}

I tried a new install, a reboot, apt update and upgrade.

The device is a Raspi 4 4gb on the latest Raspbian image

• Offizieller Beitrag

Clear your browser cache and/or try a different browser. I would also make sure you are doing something weird like changing your user agent string.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is an issue with the raspbian mirror. Nothing we can do to fix that. It suggests running apt-get update but the script already does that.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!