OMV Qemu-KVM

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could install cockpit but the version available for OMV 4.x is old. If you use OMV 5.x, there is a button to install cockpit in omv-extras.

I need to use something "bigger" then virtual box

Not sure what that means and not that I like virtualbox but virtualbox can run some very large VMs. I think you might be better to do what I do - run proxmox on the physical system and OMV as a VM. proxmox is much better than virtualbox or cockpit.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for your replay. We currently use OMV4. I need to virtualise MacOs. This runs with virtualbox as well but it is to slow.
    Any pros for using promox instead of unraid?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I need to virtualise MacOs.

https://www.nicksherlock.com/2…alina-10-15-on-proxmox-6/

Any pros for using promox instead of unraid?

Proxmox isn't a NAS. It is a hypervisor like VMware ESXi. I've never used unraid but I'm pretty sure proxmox exposes much more of kvm. I have used it for production systems for years. If you need NAS functionality as well, then run OMV (or probably even unraid) as a VM.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

But NAS is more important then VM.

Mine is as well but I still run OMV as a VM on proxmox.

• I think you might be better to do what I do - run proxmox on the physical system and OMV as a VM. proxmox is much better than virtualbox or cockpit.

what is the real perfomance degradation OMV as VM vs OMV native install? - percents?
    i'm lookng for manual to install an ideal pair: proxmox + OMV in a one native installation, found only whis one https://habr.com/ru/post/328048/ but it's a little bit obsolete
    where is some of dependencies are breaks when i trying to install them together, so updates will be only by manual

• Offizieller Beitrag

what is the real perfomance degradation OMV as VM vs OMV native install? - percents?

Not sure what the exact figures are but not enough to notice. If you only have gigabit ethernet, you will never noticed. Even if you have 10gbe ethernet, I doubt you would notice.

i'm lookng for manual to install an ideal pair: proxmox + OMV in a one native installation, found only whis one

Not even going to look at the link since you shouldn't do it. Proxmox will uninstall watchdog and OMV requires it. Without hacking code, it will not work. Both systems maintain config files and will have issues as well.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Advantages of running OMV on proxmox as a vm.
    Both use very little resources.
    Snapshots and backups.
    Native ZFS if you want that. Maintained by proxmox. Industrial strength support if you want it. (not free)
    Both have good free support. Both are "free".
    Proxmox is solid platform with many more features. You can make it as complex as you need.
    Proxmox does not do "docker" but has lxc containers. I suppose you could run a vm of the os of you choice to do docker.

Just install proxmox and then create a vm and boot the OMV iso. Done. You can fine tune as needed later.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is how I would start out and adjust up or down based on your hardware and use. What hardware and needs do you have?
    Processor: 1 socket 2 cores, type host
    OS disk: 16GB virtio
    Storage Disks: virtio as needed
    Memory: 4 or 8GB
    Network: virtio and set multi que to match cpu cores. vmbr0

Once it is up and running apt-get install qemu-guest-agent. Install what else you may need.

Good luck.

• Thank you for ideas!
    it's possible to enable SMART and HDD sleep of native disks from OMV VM?
    HDDs conneted to VM as VirtIO, HDDs inside VM OMV reports what it's "Unable to detect device type" and unfrequently used HDD doesn't sleeps...

Code
    smartctl -a /dev/vdb
    /dev/vdb: Unable to detect device type
    Please specify device type with the -d option.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

just curious how you present the disks to OMV, from proxmox or passthrough?

I have done both but most are virtual disks because I have a proxmox cluster and you can't migrate a VM to different host if you are using passthrough.

Lastly, do you run Docker from the OMV VM as well?

No. I have an Ubuntu 18 server VM just for dockers.

• Hi there. I would like to add that if your using cockpit to controll your vm's on omv 5 you could via a docker containing virt manager get almost the same experience as with VirtualBox. I would actually say that it is a little more advanced than VirtualBox.

Sendt fra min Nokia 6.1 med Tapatalk

• I have done both but most are virtual disks because I have a proxmox cluster and you can't migrate a VM to different host if you are using passthrough.

No. I have an Ubuntu 18 server VM just for dockers.

I spun up proxmox on a spare box and curious how you present the volumes to docker i.e., plex, did you just add a volume via NFS (source OMV running as a VM in proxmox) in portainer and add the NFS volume to each container as needed, or is there another prefered method?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

how you present the volumes to docker i.e., plex, did you just add a volume via NFS (source OMV running as a VM in proxmox) in portainer and add the NFS volume to each container as needed, or is there another prefered method?

I don't use plex but my docker volumes are just paths on the VM. The VM itself is stored on NFS though.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!