Where to log in as a user?

• I have my server set up and can read/write files from my laptop. I just tried to get my HTPC (Windows 10) to access my files but it's not letting me paste to my folders. Maybe I'm a dumbass, but where do I log in as a user in order to gain access to read/write? The first time I went to Network>OMV it said I couldn't. I closed the window and simply went back to it and this time it opened up where I could see all of my shared folders. But when I try to move something from my HTPC to my OMV it says "Destination Folder Access Denied". I imagine it's because I haven't actually logged in somehow? I tried opening a web browser from that computer, going to the 192.168 address, and logging in as the User, but after a successful login that didn't work. Am I missing some sort of obvious step?

Thank you

Version: 7.0-32 (Sandworm)

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-18-amd64

• I dug through a lot of threads and videos. Found the TechnoDad video about common issues (which did help partially solve my issue). I was finally able to send files from my HTPC to my OMV server. However it didn't help me figure out my initial issue. My problem was solved by changing stuff to allow any and everyone to read/write/execute. So what is the purpose of making different Users and stuff? I don't know where these Users are actually put into play. So far I've only been able to do all or nothing regarding accessing my server.

• My problem was solved by changing stuff to allow any and everyone to read/write/execute.

This is a common "solution" that is a terrible idea. Your problem wasn't solved, only masked by completely circumventing filesystem security.

You should learn about basic Linux concepts. There are endless resources available that will help you.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• This is a common "solution" that is a terrible idea. Your problem wasn't solved, only masked by completely circumventing filesystem security.
    You should learn about basic Linux concepts. There are endless resources available that will help you.

I agree this didn't solve my issue. I have user profiles set up within my OMV so how do I "log in" to OMV from a given computer using those different user profiles? That's what I wasn't able to find

Thank you for help

• ............I have user profiles set up within my OMV so how do I "log in" to OMV from a given computer using those different user profiles? That's what I wasn't able to find
    Thank you for help

I'm not fully sure of what you are trying to do, so I will assume that you have defined additional users on the OMV system and you want these new users to be able to log in to the OMV WebGUI ???

If this is the case you would enter the username and password on the OMV WebGUI login page (instead of the admin user and password) and log in. However, these users will have extremely limited access to OMV controls - essentially none other than changing that user's password and accessing the Donate, Support, and About pages.

If however you want to these new users to have SSH access, then they must be members of the ssh group and they would connect using a ssh or sftp client or terminal.

If I still haven't correctly interpreted your wishes, then please elaborate.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Well when I make a user profile, I can give it permissions to certain folders on my OMV server. But how does my OMV server know what user is trying to access what? So if I have OMV-Laptop that is allowed to read/write everything but I want OMV-htpc to only be able to read from the folders, how do I accomplish this on the HTPC computer?

• Just creating shared folders don't make them available. You need to offer them via SMB/CIFS, NFS, or perhaps some other supported service.

What service are you using to offer these shared folders?

--

• Then your client machine must support and use SMB/CIFS to be able to connect to the offered shares.

You are going to need to be a lot more specific and describe what programs you are trying to use to connect to your OMV server.

--

• No additional programs are needed. But it sounds like you want to run password protected shares. That's something I don't use here so I don't know how to set it up.

--

• also just a note if it helps ive had to use the ACL tab on the shared folders page up top . To go in and set thing so i can access folders. When i make a folder at first i can go in do whatever then when i install say nextcloud sometimes i get locked out so i go into acl and set things how i need to access.. I have no clue if this is right. but its worth checking out.

• So you don't have different Users set up from within OMV?

Yes I do. But for ssh and sftp access. The SMB/CIFS shares are unauthenticated access.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use NFS. I assume that SMB is very similar.

I create users on my OMV boxes that EXACTLY match all the users on all my clients.

So if I login on my Ubuntu Mate laptop using username: adoby and password: secret, I also have a user called adoby with the password set to secret on all my OMV boxes. Not only that, I also ensure that user and group ID are identical on all clients and all OMV boxes. I do this by ALWAYS creating all users on all boxes, clients/servers, in the exact same order. Since most of my clients are Ubuntu based and that is similar to Debian, uid and gid all match perfectly. NFS typically ignores the actual names and instead only use the uid and gid.

This way I can share and mount all filesystems freely using nfs and use the Linux access rights freely. And everything just works.

For instance user adoby has full access to everything. User guest has only read access to some folders on some NAS.

I am considering using some centralized authorization system. And perhaps booting all my OMV boxes from PXE over NFS. But so far this works OK.

For my Android devices I use SMB. For that I have only two users. They are adoby and guest. You have to specify one set of these usernames and passwords in Android to connect to a OMV NAS. Only some of my OMV NAS provides SMB access.

In addition I have full SSH access to all boxes using user adoby. That way I can freely roam all my OMV NAS from my laptop and edit/delete/copy/move files from anywhere to anywhere using Midnight Commander.

However user adoby only has full access to shared folders. If I need to access system files I need to use adoby with ssh and sudo.

At another location, for some muggle relatives, I have a OMV NAS running. There all users use windows. I do the same again. I have created users for each client. I have created one public folder, individual home folders for each user, a common media folder. Also in each user home folder a public folder.

All users have RW access to the public folder. But only R access to media. All users have RW access to their own home folder and also R access each user public folder. All users login on their windows computers as usual and then connect, using the same user, via SMB to the OMV NAS.

if you want to know how to set up something similar there are huge amounts of tutorials on the internet. but you most likely will have to experiment as well.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!