OMV - NextCloud -> Rpi4 / NanoPi

• Hi,

I’m been reading in to omv and I’m in need of some cloud storage to get my documents etc, accessible in school and home. . .Used OneDrive for this but want to stop using this.

Because I don’t want to spend too much money, I tested omv4 and nextcloud in a container with the help of techno dad youtubes.I had a rpi 3 lying around and decided to use this before buying a new rpi4 and a new usb3 disk.With this setup I’m not expecting a fast solution, but it is not stable.The nextcloud web interface keeps giving bad gateway from time to time and syncing files with nextcloud is very slow and keeps giving errors.

Is the use of the slower rpi3 the cause of this? And will a rpi4 B /2GB or NanoPi M4 be enough to get nextcloud working stable and faster?

I can’t seem to find any posts of using OMV and nextcloud on a rpi / nanopi to confirm that it’s functioning.

• Hi NoBoots,

I think Nanopi 4 is the better solution for OMV + Docker + Nextkloud plugin.
    For Nextcloud only you can take RPi4 but separately without OMV. I have Nextcloud running on Odroid C2, as a storage medium I use micro USB pendrive, the speed is sufficient for not too large files.

[LibreELEC @ 2x RPi3, CoreELEC @ S12 Octa Core]

[ NAS OMV 5.xx (Usul) @ NanoPI M4 ]

[ Nextcloud 18.0.4 @ ODROID C2 ]

[ Motioneye @ RPi4]

• Offizieller Beitrag

will a rpi4 B /2GB or NanoPi M4 be enough to get nextcloud working stable and faster?

I noticed the tag of the title above is OMV 4.x, but if you plan to upgrade to OMV 5 note that Debian 10 on the NanoPi M4 is not compatible with docker network, so that you will not be able to create a custom network in order to install Nextcloud/Letsencrypt successfully. For OMV 4 it should work great... until EOL for OMV 4.x. The M4 itself is great. I run Plex on it right now. I check periodically for a fix or work around for Nextcloud but nothing has surfaced yet. Right now I run Nextcloud on an Odroid HC2 with a second HC2 as a rsync backup.

Also note you will need a sata hat (+$25 US) and a heat sink (+?) for the M4, if you don't want to connect your disks via USB. Buy a 4 or 5 bay HDD tray to house the disks, mount the M4 on top, and make sure to get a suitable power supply to drive ever how many disks you intend to use.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

that Debian 10 on the NanoPi M4 is not compatible with docker network, so that you will not be able to create a custom network

It is possible if you switch the nftables to iptables-legacy. https://unixblogger.com/no-net…ntainers-under-debian-10/

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is possible if you switch the nftables to iptables-legacy. unixblogger.com/no-networking-…ntainers-under-debian-10/

Now wait a minute. You said a few weeks ago here in post #51 "I don't like the idea of omv-extras changing the iptables configuration." I'm not pointing a finger, mind you. I may have misunderstood what you meant, because it just now dawned on me that you changinging omv-extras isn't the same as ME on the command line changing the tables to legacy on MY NanoPi M4. I just figured there would be ill effects underlying it all, so I chickened out and didn't try it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ecause it just now dawned on me that you changinging omv-extras isn't the same as ME on the command line changing the tables to legacy on MY NanoPi M4. I just figured there would be ill effects underlying it all, so I chickened out and didn't try it.

As you thought, I just didn't want the script to change it because not everyone uses docker. The script doesn't remove network-manager either. If it doesn't work for you, change it back and reboot. I just didn't want people thinking it was impossible.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Hmm,

Af far as I've read docker will not work in omv5 on the (Nano)pi.

Looking for a solution which will work a longtime with a minimal work for me this seems to be not the way to go.

As docker seems to work in a x86 OMV5 I’ll try an Older assus eeebox eb1503 and see how it will perform.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Af far as I've read docker will not work in omv5 on the (Nano)pi.

Incorrect. Docker works very well on the NanoPiM4. Creating a custom docker network does not work without the change but seems to work quite well with the change. Hopefully docker works with nftables in the future to eliminate the need to change to iptables.

Looking for a solution which will work a longtime with a minimal work for me this seems to be not the way to go.

Why?

• noticed the tag of the title above is OMV 4.x, but if you plan to upgrade to OMV 5 note that Debian 10 on the NanoPi M4 is not compatible with docker network, so that you will not be able to create a custom network in order to install Nextcloud/Letsencrypt successfully.

I've seem to misunderstood this thinking Docker / Nextcloud would not work.

So it will work, I've just need to use the same network for Nextcloud.

Gonna make my christmass list for the NanoPi M4 and give it a try :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am sorry. I believe I am the cause of this confusion. My comments above in this thread were incorrect. Regarding the NanoPi M4 and OMV 5 there is nothing wrong with docker or docker compose. There is a problem with docker network that can be fixed with the following command:

sudo update-alternatives —config iptables

When prompted type 1 and press return. To change it back just renter the same command and type 0 and return.

I love my NanoPi M4 w/SATA hat. It may well be the best SBC board on the market today.

• Any thoughts about the configuration of the NanoPi

Should I go for the 4 GB Reading several treads and I’m still not sure

Do I order an emmc module (and how big) or do keep running from the sd card?

• Offizieller Beitrag

To change it back just renter the same command and type 0 and return.

Just to give you a better feeling about changing this... Ubuntu 19.10 on the RPi still uses the old iptables-legacy by default.

hould I go for the 4 GB Reading several treads and I’m still not sure

Depends on what you are going to do with. If money isn't a problem, go with it.

Do I order an emmc module (and how big) or do keep running from the sd card?

I use SD cards. As long as you have the flashmemory plugin installed and make a backup of your setup occasionally, you should be good. If you follow this guide, you will get a setup that should help your SD card last a long time (should be years).

• Offizieller Beitrag

The EMMC card slot is not accessible once the SATA hat is installed. Terribly inconvenient for dd backups. Save your money and go with a SanDisk Ultra 32GB micro SD card A1 class 10.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!