NFS and XFS

• Hi Guys,

I am using my OMV 4.x build as a repository for my backups for my VMware environment. As such, I have a VM called Backups that is stored via NFS on my OMV.

Everything has been working fine with both NFS3 and NFS4.1 and VMware. However, recently, I needed to make my backup bigger and there is a filesize limitation with EXT4 of 16 TB. So...I moved my data and changed my OMV rig to use XFS instead.

Now that I have done that, I can mount the share via NFS3 at /export/nfs-rig just fine on my ESXi servers. However, everytime I attempt to mount via NFS4.1 at /nfs-rig (notice no /export), it does not work.

So...is there some reason that NFS4.1 and XFS do not play well together?

Did I find a bug?

Jim

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you attempted to mount it in a standard Debian server? I can’t imagine there are issues on xfs and nfs4. Check the nfs server sys log should spit errors from clients mount attempts.
    the 16tb limit is on very old Fs created longer than 3 years ago, now omv adds the 64 bit flag on every ext4 format. Was your filesystem older than that ?

• You need to re-read my post....its not a limitation of the 16tb filesystem....its a limitation of the filesize on the filesystem...16tb is the limit of a individual file on the filesystem in EXT4.

Since I am using a VM and the virtual hard disk is bigger than 16TB, it is created as a single file...thus EXT4 doesn't really work for me. I could use multiple files and combine them inside the VM, but I prefer to not do that.

Jim

• Offizieller Beitrag

is there some reason that NFS4.1 and XFS do not play well together?

Not that I know of. I'm using nfs4 and xfs for nfs mounts but not on my ESXi servers. I will have to try it. I'm sure it is just an option.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

ESXi 6.7 ad no problem mounting nfs4.1 on xfs on Ubuntu 19.10 but it won't mount the same on OMV 5.x. I looked at the configs are they are the same. The only difference is OMV is exporting bind mount and I'm not doing that on Ubuntu 19.10. Switching OMV to a non-bind mount didn't help. Still looking...

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!