Help!! MySQL Problem is not installable

• Hello everybody i hope you can help me!!

• I just today installed the plugin (before I saw this thread). It's 4.1.1 of the plugin. I don't know what version of MySQL it installed. I should have, somewhere along the way, been given a chance to set the data location but it didn't and I couldn't find any way to do that. I ssh'ed into root and looked at the config files and found that the data directory is /var/lib/mysql. Normally not a bad place for a server install, but for OMV, I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want database data on the system drive.

I went ahead and set omvadmin and root passwords anyway. So something works but I don't want the data there. After seeing this thread, now I'm questioning the whole thing. I've been an Ubuntu user for years and just installed OMV this week to replace a Synology NAS. But, I am not familiar with docker, even though my Ubuntu 18.04 machines might be using them.

Can you give me some direction on what to search for to find how to get MySQL on OMV?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you give me some direction on what to search for to find how to get MySQL on OMV?

What a few of these videos to see how docker works on omv.

I should have, somewhere along the way, been given a chance to set the data location but it didn't and I couldn't find any way to do that.

I removed that option long ago. If you really don't want it in the package default directory (/var/lib/mysql), then you can specify the data directory in the extra options box using the normal mysql config file parameter (datadir). As for running it on the system drive, that may or may not be optimal but the scheduled backup will backup to a datadrive.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks! I prefer to use plug-ins on this system, especially since docker, which I'm not familiar with, is the other option. So, I'll try the datadir parameter set to a directory on my data drive. Leaving it on the system drive would be a great way to use some of the extra space, but I prefer to have it on the data drive. MySQL makes stuff in the data directory on install, so it will be interesting to see if does things in the right order.

• Offizieller Beitrag

MySQL makes stuff in the data directory on install, so it will be interesting to see if does things in the right order.

Yep and if you change the path, you will need to move the stuff it creates.

I prefer to use plug-ins on this system, especially since docker, which I'm not familiar with, is the other option.

It is the future of quite a few things on OMV. So, I recommend trying it out.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I tried the mariadb docker image and followed a step by step I found in the forum. The instructions were for a bigger job than just setting up the mariadb container, but I did just that part. It didn't work and I went back to the plugin. I tried setting a different data directory . I copied the files to the new directory with "cp -rp" and added the "datadir = " but it failed. I'm going to leave the datadir at the default and live with it for now. But, I hope that if the plugin is removed in 5.0 that docker gets substantially easier to set up. Also, in the additional option box for the plugin, does datadir have to be preceded with "--"?

(Edited 12/15)
    I have the mysql plugin (which is really mariadb too) installed with the default data location and I loaded my data from the CLI. I may have been able to do this from the mysql web page but I didn't want to learn how at this time. Anyway, my only problem now is nginx. I put a question in another thread for that. It's not a problem as such, but I'd still like to move my data to a sharedfolder. If I have created "/sharedfolders/mysql", exactly what would I put in the options box? I tried "datadir = /sharedfolders/mysql" and it didn't work. I probably should have gotten a snapshot, but if what I entered was correct, I'm not going to try it again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!