USB -> SSD

• I have an HP Microserver GEN8 with a 16GB ram and an Xeon E3-1220 V2 processor.Since I want to build my OWN nas server, and I have compared a number of operating systems, I have decided to go for OpenMediaVault.Only 1 question is not answered correctly, no matter how I search on the internet and on the forum. this is discussed differently everywhere.which option is best to use as boot medium: SSD or USB (I have a 32GB usb stick, or a 32GB SSD drive which I can connect with an additional sata controller)The intention is to have the nas 24/7 which will mainly work with Docker.

and which version is recommended to use?I'm new to OMV.Install 4.x or 5.x already?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you can use it, the ssd is better.

I would go for OMV 5.x.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

what about when i want to upgrade or replace the SSD?

Clone the old ssd to the new ssd with clonezilla.

will i loose my RAID5 and all of the data?

no

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a tutorial somewhere on this forum how this works?

The Guides sub-forum is always a good place to check - https://forum.openmediavault.o…em-Drive-with-Clonezilla/ but just about any clonezilla tutorial on the net should work.

and what about the extra space?

Google would answer this but yes, you can select option in advanced mode to grow a filesystem to use the rest of the space. Although it is probably better to use gparted to do this since the swap partition is after the OS partition.

So now i have a 32GB ssd. when i want to upgrade to a 128GB?

If you don't put data on the OS partition (like recommended for OMV - data belongs on data drives), you should never need something bigger than 16gb.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So what i understand here, is that when i make a docker container the data will be on the RIAD 5 HDD'S?

The path that is defaulted in omv-extras is on the SSD but you really should change it to be on the data drives.

So a SSD for 128 GB is way to much?

For the OS, yes. If you want more speed for containers, then make the 128GB SSD a data drive and use that for your docker path.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Using a 32GB USB drive to boot works fine but, as has been stated, you'll need to insure that your Docker path is pointed somewhere else. And you'll need to install the flash memory plugin to insure that your USB thumb-drive lasts a long time.

If you're looking for a USB Thumb drive cloning process that works, even with dissimilar size USB drives, take a look at this guide, in the section on OS backup.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!