Cannot write to NTFS drive on HC2

• Hi all.

After the untimely and very sad demise of my 10TB drive, I've re-installed OMV4 on my Odroid HC2.
    My 2 backup drives are attached. One SATA disk, the other USB3.

I remade the shares, and read only access is working fine. However an interesting problem exists.
    I only have write access to the USB disk, not the SATA one. User / Group privileges are set the same on each share.

Any ideas why I would have write access to one disk, but not the other? I have verified read/write access for the user to each shared folder and SMB share.

TIA,
    Rob

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't use NTFS!
    Don't use NTFS!

I recommend that you wipe the SATA drive and create a new filesystem on it, using the OMV GUI. Use EXT4 unless you have good reasons to use BTRFS or XFS.

If the SATA drive already is formatted as EXT4 it can be used as is, to save you from backing up data and restore. But you will have to move the files into the shared folder(s) manually and reset perms using the resetperms plugin.

The USB drive can keep the NTFS format if it is intended to be used for backups of the SATA drive.

I advice you to NOT use the USB drive for shared folder(s). If you insist on doing it despite this then:

Don't use NTFS!
    Don't use NTFS!

OMV can be used with some filesystems. NTFS is not one of them, except perhaps for backups.

If in doubt, don't use NTFS. Use EXT4. (Or possibly BTRFS or XFS if you know why you need to.)

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Thanks Adoby.
    I understand the limitations of NTFS. Unfortunately as these were backup drives that had been previously in use for Windows, it would be almost impossible to convert them to anything else.

Perhaps I just need to live with the fact I'll not be able to add content to them.

I will be getting the 10TB drive replaced under warranty, but that is some time away.
    I must confess I also have some nervousness about using the backup drives since there are no backups of my backups!

• Have HC2 better to use XFS or EXT4 or BTRFS
    NTFS is not a good filesystem when you buy a Synology or Qnap you don't have NTFS partition.
    Is use EXT4 a linux system file.
    Better to use a good system file for your nas.

Best Regards

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!