Network connection lost after upgrade

• So I wanted to try out OMV 5 and the setup process worked flawelessly and everything works as expected.
    Only problem:
    After I run an upgrade (upgrade / dist-upgrade doesn't matter) I lose my network connection.

I expect this to be an driver issue with some newer kernel version, but I am too much of a noob to pin that down exactly.
    My network adapter is Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 (8111 to be exact) and according to this post it needs the rt8168 driver which is only available up to kernel version 4.15.

As OMV 5 is using kernel 5 this obviously doesn't work.

Now the thing is that it all works out of the box when installing OMV.
    It installs the rt8169 driver which isn't recommended but at least works.
    Until I run the upgrade....

So basically the question is if anybody can help me pin this issue down, so I can tell what part of the update is causing this and how to prevent the update from killing my network.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you try add contrib to the repo in /etc/apt/sources.list and installing the r8168-dkms package like the blog you linked to recommends?

Otherwise, I would be curious to see what module it is using right after the install. Post the output of lsmod if you can.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes I tried both the automatic and manual way.
    The manual didn't work as it wants to install to driver to the kernel 4 folder and the automatic worked but I still lost the connection after the upgrade.
    lsmod lists a whole bunch of stuff but the r8169 shows up in the list (be aware of the difference of r8168 and r8169).
    Let me know if I can tell you some more specific.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok. Once you upgrade, what modules show up in lsmod? I'm guessing you need to add r8169 to the module autoload list and possibly blacklist a different module.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• So lsmod still seems to list the same.
    When I call lspci -v the bottom entry for the device is:

Kernel driver in use: r8169
    Kernel modules: r8169

This is the same as before, but all the other information for this device is gone and it only says:

!!! Unkown header type 7f

• Offizieller Beitrag

!!! Unkown header type 7f

This usually means the device is newer hardware than the driver knows about. Without having hardware to try this on, I'm not sure what else to do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is possible that it is some custom Fujitsu adapter that the driver doesn't know about. All I can recommend doing is putting a different network adapter in it unless you feel like hacking the driver and compiling it yourself.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So now if we can for sure say its a driver issue, can we then not just stop the driver itself from updating and we are good?

This isn't Windows. The drivers are builtin to the kernel. Installing from the ISO doesn't install the backports kernel. So, if you install omv-extras BEFORE updating anything, it has an option to disable backports. Then updates *shouldn't* break things since it will keep using the 4.19 kernel which seems to work.

• This isn't Windows. The drivers are builtin to the kernel. Installing from the ISO doesn't install the backports kernel. So, if you install omv-extras BEFORE updating anything, it has an option to disable backports. Then updates *shouldn't* break things since it will keep using the 4.19 kernel which seems to work.

Ok well I ordered a new network card, lets hope this will work :D Thanks for the help :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!