Docker not able to use unionfs filesystem

• So if I make a unionfs filesystem called ted. then go to shared folders and make 3 folders that are all located on the new ted device. Then make a new docker and bind to those folders it writes to them but does not use them in the webgui.

Now if I make a shared folder on disk1 and make a new docker and bind to those folders it works fine.

Im using 2 hhd to make my unionfs filesystem. leaving all the settings default. both drives were wiped. The shared folder is everyone: read/write

The info in protainer says that a file is corrupt. Inside one of the folders. this is using the unionfs ted device.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't have to use the UnionFS mount point to store Dockers, and you shouldn't. Both Docker and UnionFS use versions of overlayfs which doesn't work well, when one is layered on the other.

Create a share direct on one of your data drives, to house your Dockers. Docker performance will be good and the merged UnionFS mount point will balance storage around anything you put in the share.

• You don't have to use the UnionFS mount point to store Dockers, and you shouldn't. Both Docker and UnionFS use versions of overlayfs which doesn't work well, when one is layered on the other.

I understand that I will be putting the /config files on a ssd. I should have said that im my first post.

• Create a share direct on one of your data drives, to house your Dockers. Docker performance will be good and the merged UnionFS mount point will balance storage around anything you put in the share.

I new to OMV. but if I make a share folder on one of the drives thats the only drive it will fill up. If not that would make this alot easier cause I can get that setup to work. I was going to use UnionFS for the /media files for the docker. And put the location in the settings and open the docker it does not show the UnionFS pool share.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you're using an SSD for this purpose, Docker storage, then the solution is easy. Don't include the SSD in the UnionFS drive group. Let it be an independent drive. Set up a share on the SSD, to store your Dockers and you're set.

If you're using a Docker as a downloader, set the location where files are to be saved, in a normal share (Videos for example) that uses the UnionFS mount point.

• If you're using an SSD for this purpose, Docker storage, then the solution is easy. Don't include the SSD in the UnionFS drive group. Let it be an independent drive. Set up a share on the SSD, to store your Dockers and you're set.

If you're using a Docker as a downloader, set the location where files are to be saved, in a normal share (Videos for example) that uses the UnionFS mount point.

The ssd in not in the UnionFS pool.

Yes im using docker as a downloader. Thats the problem im having when I do that it does not show up. it writes the folders I have setup into the UnionFS pool shared folder. but thats it. Sonarr shows the drives in use but does not show the UnionFS pool shared folder. But if I change it to shared folder that is not apart of the pool it shows up.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Docker "Downloaders" get into issues with volumes and bind mount, permissions, etc. I don't use a downloader and I don't have UnionFS set up at the moment (I'm using that collection of disks for testing). In the bottom line, I can't replicate your setup to look at a potential problem, so I'm afraid that I can't help you.

** Perhaps other forum users, who are using UnionFS (actually mergerfs) and a Docker downloader will chime in with their experience. **

In the way of a work around, perhaps you could create a symlink. A symlink can be used to direct the output that the downloader sends to your SSD, to a share on the UnionFS mount point. It does this transparently. There's a symlink plugin available. (If you have OMVExtras installed, you'll find it under, System, Plugins.) The plugin is much easier to use, when compared to setting a symlink up on the CLI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Then make a new docker and bind to those folders it writes to them but does not use them in the webgui.

I read this thread when you first posted but I couldn't make sense of the above, I'm assuming the webgui you refer too is the downloader gui. Whilst @TechnoDadLife video tutorials use the option /sharedfolders/ you should in fact use /srv/dev-disk-by-label etc, this is the Absolute Path and it's this that should be used within Portainers volumes section.

You don't have to use the UnionFS mount point to store Dockers, and you shouldn't. Both Docker and UnionFS use versions of overlayfs which doesn't work well, when one is layered on the other.

That's correct but only for the /config of that particular Docker, the share/bind mounts where the actual data is stored can be on the pool.

@jump I could test this on OMV4 as technically there is AFAIK no difference with the MergerFS plugin on either version.

• Hi,
    I’m using UFS as well.
    For my set up, I’m using Fuse mount point: /srv/uuid/docker/ for Docker’s data storage, and it seems working fine. Avoid using path method: /sharedfolder

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• I read this thread when you first posted but I couldn't make sense of the above, I'm assuming the webgui you refer too is the downloader gui. Whilst @TechnoDadLife video tutorials use the option /sharedfolders/ you should in fact use /srv/dev-disk-by-label etc, this is the Absolute Path and it's this that should be used within Portainers volumes section.

That's correct but only for the /config of that particular Docker, the share/bind mounts where the actual data is stored can be on the pool.
    @jump I could test this on OMV4 as technically there is AFAIK no difference with the MergerFS plugin on either version.

Just to make sure everyone understands. For OMV5, the first video I recommended /sharedfolders/
    after the first video, I have been recommending /srv/dev-etc/.
    After making the first video, I realized that OMV5 works different and switched to Absolute path, so no I do not recommend using sharedfolders on OMV5 and I haven't mentioned sharedfolders in a few months.

• Just to make sure everyone understands. For OMV5, the first video I recommended /sharedfolders/after the first video, I have been recommending /srv/dev-etc/.
    After making the first video, I realized that OMV5 works different and switched to Absolute path, so no I do not recommend using sharedfolders on OMV5 and I haven't mentioned sharedfolders in a few months.

From my understanding, OMV5 made a recent change such that it checks the Docker Storage path input in OMV-Extras by the user and will not allow a /sharedfolders/ path to be used.

I have not tested this myself though. I just seem to remember reading about in a change-log, probably the one for a recent OMV-Extras for OMV 5.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hi,
    I’m using UFS as well.
    For my set up, I’m using Fuse mount point: /srv/uuid/docker/ for Docker’s data storage, and it seems working fine. Avoid using path method: /sharedfolder

By this, do you mean the huge string? I have a union of two data drives I called union1, on which I created /appdata. The absolute path is /srv/2b1b4b4a-057f-485e-9085-2b7d5b0c26f3/appdata. Is this what you mean?

Mark D

OMV6.1.0 upgraded from 5 on a Core2Duo

mergerfs & snapraid

Docker for urbackup, omada controller, adguard.

• By this, do you mean the huge string? I have a union of two data drives I called union1, on which I created /appdata. The absolute path is /srv/2b1b4b4a-057f-485e-9085-2b7d5b0c26f3/appdata. Is this what you mean?

Yes.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!