OMV5/Virtualbox

• Hi all,I had omv4 for a long time everything worked fine except it was fully planted a few days ago, the boot was corrupt,I thought my ssd on what was the bone, I tested it then formatted it is ok, I took the opportunity to install omv 5.0.5 I found my datas, my raid1 everything is ok,I installed omv extras, but I have not found the plugin virtualbox, before omv4 I l I had installed with debian9 and jeedom (home automation solution) everything was ok,under omv5 I found my virtualbox folder with debian9 and jeedom but I can not launch it from omv5 I saw post on cokpit that can replace it but do not know how I can restart my Dedian9 virtualization is possible?thank you for your answers

• Offizieller Beitrag

but I have not found the plugin virtualbox

There isn't one, Debian 10 Buster does not support virtualbox.

I saw post on cokpit that can replace it but do not know how I can restart my Dedian9 virtualization is possible?

Not possible as VB and KVM use different drive formats, if your VB is in the format of VDI it may be possible to convert it to use in Cockpit, try a search for import vdi to cockpit. If you go down that route make a backup/copy of the VB vdi.

• Thank you for your answer I advanced, in debian under cokpit I chose imported and chose the path where it is installed on my server, but I have this message "Creation of VM Jeedom failed
    error: failed to connect to the hypervisorerror: Cannot recv data: Connection reset by peerError setting up logfile: Could not create directory /home/jeedom/.cache/virt-manager: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/jeedom'ERROR authentication failed: access denied by policy"

it may be a problem of rights?

• I will put version 4, version 5 not suitable for me, on the 5 no afp nor virtualbox and the smb / cifs works really not well with my mackbook pro, it is wiser for me to put the V4 in hoping that they will not drop version 4 support

• There isn't one, Debian 10 Buster does not support virtualbox.

Same problem here:

I am still running OMV 2.2.14 (Stone Burner) on a HP Gen8 Microserver with the VirtualBox Plugin, as well as OMV 4 on a SBC and OMV 5 on a test rig (old Phenom Board).

As the update of the Microserver to actual OMV 5 is planned for this end of this year, I am still wondering how to get Virtual Box running.

It is surprising for me (without being an expert) that Debian 10 Buster should not support VirtualBox as there are How To's available regarding VB 6.1 and Buster, as well as the official Homepage of VirtualBox links to deb-Installation packages (.deb) for Buster. Are there any further details on this?

Nevertheless on my test rig I stucked with missing vboxdrv kernel module and no connection to any X display (the second, I expected).

What are my options to get VirtualBox running with or parallel to OMV 5?
    Any other options? I wouldn't be happy to change everything to Docker.

As long as i have no working procedure on my test rig, I don't like to pull the USB-Stick with Stone Burner, which serverd me well the last three years.

Any hint is highly appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is surprising for me (without being an expert) that Debian 10 Buster should not support VirtualBox as there are How To's available regarding VB 6.1 and Buster, as well as the official Homepage of VirtualBox links to deb-Installation packages (.deb) for Buster. Are there any further details on this?

You can still install virtualbox from the virtualbox repo but I won't port the plugin because that package is terrible with upgrades and phpvirtualbox isn't really being maintained.

What are my options to get VirtualBox running with or parallel to OMV 5?

Follow any Debian 10 Virtualbox how to. You just won't have anything for it in the omv web interface.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Given the official reply from ryecoaaron and VB from a plugin perspective I was hopeful that the plugin would be ported over to OMV5. I have been using Cockpit and one issue/challenge I can't address is creating a bridge network from the Cockpit web interface and I read where it is not recommended not to install NetworkManager. I am having an issue where I need the guest to communicate w/ the host that OMV and Cockpit reside. I can communicate w/ all other hosts on the network w/ the exception of the OMV/Cockpit host and I would assume creating a bridge network interface via Cockpit would address the issues, any suggestions?

Thanks

• You can still install virtualbox from the virtualbox repo but I won't port the plugin because that package is terrible with upgrades and phpvirtualbox isn't really being maintained.

Thanks ryecoarron, fully understandable. OMV cannot integrate what Debian abandoned.
    For the gui I need to install phpvirtualbox, correct?

Docker will be on my bucket list later, currently I woud like to continue with existing VMs.

Are there any dependencies or interferences between VirtualBox and OMV, for example regarding the kernel?
    Or can both play peacefully on the same gras?

• Offizieller Beitrag

For the gui I need to install phpvirtualbox, correct?

If you need a web interface, yes.

Are there any dependencies or interferences between VirtualBox and OMV, for example regarding the kernel?

Shouldn't be as long as the virtualbox version supports the kernel on your machine. I haven't installed virtualbox in forever.

currently I woud like to continue with existing VMs.

I run proxmox on my hosts and virtualize OMV. virtualbox VMs can easily be converted to kvm virtual machines for proxmox to use.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Shouldn't be as long as the virtualbox version supports the kernel on your machine. I haven't installed virtualbox in forever.

Installation of VirtualBox wasn't that difficult, although missing kernel modules. But I have been stucked in installation of phpvirtualbox.
    Nevertheless I gained the experience which let me decide, go to OMV4. This should work for the next two to three years.

Still the only issue is the automatic start of the VMs, what does not work.

Maybe next year I will have a look at Proxmoxx, Docker or Cockpit, but this remaining year left too less time for this.

Personally I think it is a major step back to abandon VirtualBox in Buster. For the pro it is ok to switch to Proxmoxx or Docker, but for the non-pros it is hard to understand why the maintaner of Debian and VirtualBox do not come together. Seems to be a typical Linux-issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Personally I think it is a major step back to abandon VirtualBox in Buster.

Possibly but phpvirtualbox isn't really being maintained either. It is needed almost as much as virtualbox for the plugin to useful.

For the pro it is ok to switch to Proxmoxx

If you can install OMV, you can install Proxmox. If you can use virtualbox and phpvirtualbox, you can use Proxmox. Having everything in one very well made web interface is very nice. While it may be different, I don't think you would have much of a learning curve with Proxmox.

or Docker

I have seen many, many noobs use docker and pick it up very quickly.

but for the non-pros it is hard to understand why the maintaner of Debian and VirtualBox do not come together.

One reason is that Debian does not like to package other programs in one package that are already in another current repo package. The virtualbox package from the virtualbox repo has many things in it like that. Security is another reason since Debian maintains releases for a long time after their release. This link describes that - https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=794466. There is also a Debian dev maintaining an unsupported release if you really must have it - https://people.debian.org/~lucas/virtualbox-buster/ - but that doesn't help the phpvirtualbox issue. And I still don't want to maintain the plugin.

Seems to be a typical Linux-issue.

This isn't really a Linux problem. Virtualbox still works just fine and is maintained if you run it how most people - on a desktop and probably with vagrant. It isn't a big deal to install it from the Virtualbox repos. There are also plenty of options (VMware workstation, proxmox, kvm/virt-manager, etc). A headless Windows install used as a NAS doesn't have as good of offerings as Linux (hyper-v is about it).

• same issue here. I just have omv 4 upgraded to omv5 successfully, but suddenly I found I lost the virtualbox... do you guys have script for downgrade back to omv 4? thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

do you guys have script for downgrade back to omv 4?

No and it would probably have lots of issues. Your best option is to restore from backup. Otherwise, there are a couple of threads about install virtualbox on omv 5.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!