Raspberry Pi 3B+ and OMV: problems with installing version 4 or 5

• Hi,

After many many days of searching I still have no working OMV on my new Raspberry Pi 3 B+. I've set it up (flashing) using the "Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software" image. Here si what doesn't work:

Installing OMV4:
    I get the famous dependancy issue with php-pam.
    ##########
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    openmediavault : Depends: php-pam but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    ##########

So installing OMV4 is not going to happen any time soon.

Installing OMV5:
    For this, I tried two different approaches, which can be found here:
    https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…ipt/blob/master/README.md
    Install OMV5 on Debian 10 (Buster)

Both resulted in OMV being installed, and I was able to log-in to the web-admin page and set it up the way I want it to work (including port change and admin password change).
    But there is a very huge HOWEVER!
    When I tried to ssh into my Pi, with user name pi, I was not allowed in. It stated that my password was invalid.
    I think I have done at least 10 re-tries (every time flashing the SD-card to get a very clean and well-know state) in installing, but it really is OMV5 that messes with the credentials. And it is not only with the pi user, all passwords for all user accounts I created are wiped. Even when I do not change the default password for user pi (which is raspberry), I'm being locked-out. I tried installing OMV without changing the password for the admin of the web-portal, but that yielded no results too.

So my questions regarding installing OMV5 are:

• Am I the only one running into this (being locked-out of my pi using SSH) problem?
    • If not, how to solve this?

I truly hope there's someone out there who has an idea of what (stupid and/or smart) mistake I made and who can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Sheppy

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't used the installation methods you mention. I used the old discontinued RPi image. But...

In OMV you have to add a user that is allowed to use SSH.

Or allow root access using SSH.

I assume you still have to do this after installing OMV.

Did you do any of that?

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. OMV really does not touch already or modify created users/groups.
    2. OMV installs the tally PAM module which will block user accounts if they try to log in too many times with invalid credentials. Those accounts can be unblocked with omv-firstaid or pam_tally2.
    3. SSH login is only allowed for users in SSH group. In Debian root is already in that group. Don't know how the maintainers of your PI image handle that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I the only one running into this (being locked-out of my pi using SSH) problem?

This is a well known issue because the pi user is not in the ssh group (as volker said). You shouldn't even use the pi user and definitely shouldn't be using a desktop image. The first thing you should do after installing OMV is create a user from the omv web interface and add that user to at least the ssh group (if not the sudo group). That way you aren't using a user that is on every RPi install.

Don't know how the maintainers of your PI image handle that.

It is the standard RPi foundation image. My install script doesn't add the pi user to the ssh group because I don't think people should use that account.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks Adoby, Votdev and Ryecoaaron for pointing me in the right direction.
    Before installing OMV5, I added all (2) users to the ssh group, and now they are all working.
    Now it's time to connect a drive and start playing around.

• While re-reading the docs, I found this (which I completely skipped :rolleyes: )

When the password change is complete, one more change is needed to insure the pi user can log in, more than once, VIA SSH. The following command adds the user pi to the ssh user group, enabling future SSH sessions. On the command line type or copy and paste in the following command; sudo adduser pi ssh

Thanks anyway.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!