Which OMV version for a new setup ? What would you suggest ?

• Hello everyone

After my system crash (find here) I deside to continue using OMV in Raid 1 mode. Now I got 2 major problems:

1. Which version should I use ? Version 4 or version 5 although is still beta ? After the mentioned crash I'm a little bit affraid to use a beta version.

2. No matter which version I choose, one of the raid drives should be backed up via net to a external HDD connected to a Armbian system. Just don't know exactly how to creat this but I want a backup on an other system.

Hope someone can help me to make the right choice and maybe got a hint for my planned backup solution. By the way, the OMV system is not reachable by internet and don't run 24/7.

Thank you in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. You decide. I won't upgrade or do any install of OMV5 until it leaves beta, but it seems very stable.

2. The easiest might be a small SBC OMV NAS. Then you can use rsync or rsnapshot to backup between them. A RPi4 with a powered external drive would do fine. But then you will need to to use OMV 5, the old OMV 4 images are no longer available.

I do all my backups between my OMV NAS like this. Using rsync. One of my backup NAS is a RPi4 with a dual bay powered USB enclosure with two 8 TB drives in mergerfs. Works fine.

There are plenty of threads here about rsync and rsnapshot. Also huge amounts of info elsewhere.

• Can I check if you install the beta V5, when the final version is released will it be an upgrade or need a clean install?
    Any ideas how long it will be before it comes out of beta, we talking weeks or months? Appreciate this may be impossible to answer but dont want to do a clean install using V4 only having to go through this again in a few months. Cheers

• Can I check if you install the beta V5, when the final version is released will it be an upgrade or need a clean install?
    Any ideas how long it will be before it comes out of beta, we talking weeks or months? Appreciate this may be impossible to answer but dont want to do a clean install using V4 only having to go through this again in a few months. Cheers

Unless there will be a very unusual change from what has happened in the past, upgrades within a major version have always been possible, and without difficulty.

I have no idea when OMV 5 will be finalized and shed its beta tag. The answer that should just be accepted is that it will be ready when it's ready and asking the question will not change this.

I had no problems upgrading my OMV 4 to OMV 5 using what can be currently described as an unofficial unsupported method.

But knowing what I know today, and if didn't have any version of OMV running, I would install OMV 5. If you run into insurmountable problems and unfixable bugs, you will probably run into these quickly and you can then install OMV 4 without losing a lot of time.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have an rpi 4 by chance? If you (or anyone else) is willing... Someone still had the OMV 4 image that tkaiser did for the Pi 4 and posted a link to it on reddit. It's on some janky file hosting site that requires your email and some other nonsense, but I went ahead and downloaded it.

I have no idea if this is a legit image or not and have no way to test it... but if you or anyone else wants to take a crack at it.. I'd be happy to put a public link to it on my Google Drive. I just don't want to do that willy nilly because I can't test it and I have no idea if it's really the last image he did

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!