Anti Docker

• So I've been an OpenMediaVault user for years, since version 2 I believe, and have loved it because it was the easiest NAS OS to setup and use, I've used FreeNAS, UnRaid too. The main reason I have stayed with OMV is that they still used plugins but now that 5 is coming out and the heavy push for Dockers are they going to still let us users use plugins because IMHO the docker system on OMV sucks. I have used Docker on unraid and FreeANAS and theirs is easier to set up and they just work. I still love using OMV over the other two but I hope they still let us use OMV Extras and the Plex plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I hope they still let us use OMV Extras and the Plex plugin.

OMV-extras is still there with many plugins. And a Plex Plugin will be there if somebody writes it. Until then you might try to use Plex as a docker. It is really not that complicated. You can follow this guide or have a look at the videos.

IMHO the docker system on OMV sucks

Any specific issue?

• Offizieller Beitrag

he main reason I have stayed with OMV is that they still used plugins but now that 5 is coming out and the heavy push for Dockers are they going to still let us users use plugins because IMHO the docker system on OMV sucks.

Here is the list of plugins that were ported and that moved to docker. And while it is great that people want to use plugins, until we (really just me) get more help, this is the way it is going to be. I'm not sure how portainer sucks but things get a bit harder to use when they are considerably more flexible. Instead of just saying something sucks, how about some very specific feedback that might make it possible to change something?

I hope they still let us use OMV Extras and the Plex plugin.

omv-extras hasn't gone anywhere but I stopped maintaining the plex plugin LONG ago because it sucks (too many support issues and was basically just a start and stop anyway).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• @donwie,

I’m new to Docker/Portainer too, but I get the hang of it.
    However, I prefer set up Nginx manually via the plug-in like in OMV4 though.

Regarding Plex, and Emby, you can install them directly in OMV5 without using Docker or plugin. I can give you some steps to begin with.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Regarding Plex, and Emby, you can install them directly in OMV5 without using Docker or plugin. I can give you some steps to begin with.

Without integration of the service in OMV interface? Because it's obvious that you can install a service from cmd (apt-get) and configure it from command line/config file, but the lack of integration make mainteinance more difficult and even the system less "clean" ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Without integration of the service in OMV interface? Because it's obvious that you can install a service from cmd (apt-get) and configure it from command line/config file, but the lack of integration make mainteinance more difficult and even the system less "clean" ...

Actually i would disagree. Docker or installing outside of omv, makes it far easier to keep things up to date. You've probably missed the many threads from users complaining the Plex plugin was broken because it has not been updated and was abandoned.

Docker is exceptional if you just give it a chance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, the plex and emby plugins installed emby but so does docker. To call those plugins integrated with the web interface is a stretch since they just gave you a start and stop with a button to the emby and plex web interfaces. Most people don't need to start/stop so pretty sure a bookmark in your browser can accomplish the same thing the button that opened the web interface did.

And I agree with KM0201 on the maintenance part. Setup watchtower and you won't have to maintain your containers. It will be automatic. That is easier than going to the updates tab. Having services in containers is much cleaner than mucking up your host systems with packages especially emby.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Actually i would disagree. Docker or installing outside of omv, makes it far easier to keep things up to date. You've probably missed the many threads from users complaining the Plex plugin was broken because it has not been updated and was abandoned.

Docker is exceptional if you just give it a chance.

I never use Docker before. Just a (stupid) question about upgrade: is it "safe" to upgrade the container keeping the configuration? To use a program like Transmission (with configuration passed from external) this is not a problem but with a program like HASSIO losing configuration means losing working's hour and hour ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

is it "safe" to upgrade the container keeping the configuration?

Normally it is.

but with a program like HASSIO losing configuration means losing working's hour and hour ...

That is what backups are for.

• There is a button in Portainer called ‘Recreate’ , click that and select pull latest image for your container.
    It keeps your existing config.

I’ve been using Plex and Emby in OMV4 without plugins, and they’re working fine.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!