Installation partitioning with 192 gig of RAM

• Hi.

I am trying to install OMV on a Dell server with 192 gig RAM and a 120 gig SSD disk. The issue is the partitioning makes the swap file 117 gig which doesn't leave anything for the OS. There doesn't seem to be a way to change this. Once I am to the point the installer asks if I want to write the automatic partitioning to disk, seems to imply I can change it if I don't like it but when I click "no" it just returns to the same screen.

The graphical Debian installer will let me partition the disk and finish the install, but OMV doesn't have this as an option.

I am having this problem in OMV 5 too.

• Do a minimum Debian net-install, and size your swap tiny or not at all. The you can install OMV from the deb package.

I run my OMV with no swap on 16GB of RAM and never had a problem.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hi gderf. Installing Debian 9 for OMV 4 or Debian 10 for OMV 5 and then installing the OMV meta-packages is the same as what I get downloading from the OMV site? I played around with doing that using the graphical installer before I made this thread but I wanted someone to verify it isn't a problem. It's a good plan and I appreciate your response Sir.

• There are guides available for this. See:

Code
    https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/25062-Install-OMV5-on-Debian-10-Buster/

https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/21234-Install-OMV4-on-Debian-9-Stretch/

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I wonder if this is kind of similar to the issue I just dealt with. Have you tried booting on a system-rescue-cd.org usb, then using gparted to *shrink* the swap partition? This worked for me, but I would recommend KEEPING SOMETHING for the swap (I shrunk mine to 100 mb) as whenever I remove swap I get 'mdadm: No arrays found' boot errors. As I boot from an msata, I enabled the flash plugin and killed the swap file (but kept the partition for the sake of booting).

Edit: gderf resolved this issue for me - so I could fully remove the swap (as long as flash memory plugin installed). See here.

• If you are concerned about the disk having a swap partition, but don't want to give up swap completely, you can run a swap file on the OS partition and then delete the swap partition. Google for how to do that.

But like I said, I have only 16GB of RAM, run without any swap, and have had no problems.

--

• @ koken - The problem I had was I couldn't finish the install because the installer doesn't allow me to edit the partitions myself. As soon as I click yes to the partitions it recommends, it immediately starts installing the OS and the disk I have doesn't have enough space left to do so .. . so it failed. gderf's suggestion is just use the Debian installer then add the OMV meta files that effectively turn your Debian "server" into an OMV server by adding all the packages that make up OMV. Before I started this thread, I was playing with the Debian single CD XFCE disk and using the graphical install tool it provides. I am hoping OMV will add a better installer to the image you get here. When I was going through the OMV install process I noticed it wouldn't tell me the size of the partitions - which seems kind of important as I could have noticed it was f'ed up from that point. Also the OMV installer partitions the drives to be able to move to the next step. If I had enough disk space to have a massive swap partition and install the system, I could have used your suggestion with gparted or parted and resized the partitions to something a lot more reasonable. I will go with no swap file as it looks like 192 gigs of RAM is plenty for now.

Now that I have the system installed, I am going to start playing with hosting VM's and file shares from this server.

• I am hoping OMV will add a better installer to the image you get here.

Hey Mochi - yes I didn't realize it actually failed to install! Yes, agreed it would be helpful if omv gave you a little more control here. For example, if you have several partitions with omv and omv backup etc on your boot disk, and need to reinstall for whatever reason, it kinda sucks it will wipe the whole disk with no options. Presumably, control over this process would have helped resolve your issue as well...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!