Question on how to verify OMV succecssfully booted

• Hi,
    Firstly, I hope I've put this in the correct topic - if not please advise.
    Secondly, if I've missed the answer, please let me know where to look!

My issue:
    OMV is really great - I'm just beginning to use the software and have it installed on a msata (not m.2) disk that plugs into an older motherboard. As there is quite a bit of space on the msata disk, I ran into an unexpected issue with partitioning that has been described for example here: https://forum.openmediavault.o…tion-Dropping-to-a-shell/
    My understanding is when I remove the swap partition, I get the 'mdadm no arrarys found' error and it drops the boot loading. Firstly, I did solve this problem by just resizing the extended partition and then the swap partition to 100 mb (it seems to only care there is a swap partition lol) as I don't want to mess around with grub/configs. My question is that this actually happened the first time when I was away from the NAS and didn't realize it had failed to load - everything looked the same on the web interface. It wasn't until I rebooted that I realized there was a problem! So, is there a way (or did I miss it) to verify the web panel actually successfully loaded (other than plugging into a monitor locally and then my motherboard issues a certain 'boot success' sound. It just seems a little odd that I could load OMV - but it actually failed and I'd have (it seems) no way to know the load was actually successful - maybe I just need to check somewhere - in the logs...?
    Thanks!

• I verify that OMV is up and running by SSHing into it. My OMV machine is headless and not in a convenient to reach location.

Not using swap here never cause the system to not boot. What that did cause was a delayed boot because the "mdadm no arrarys" found warning was displayed at least a dozen times before giving up and continuing with the boot. I was able to solve that by using the iinfo in answer #1 of this post:

Code
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1013830/slow-boot-long-kernel-load-time-due-to-wrong-resume-device

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I was able to solve that by using the info in answer #1 of this post

Thanks for your reply, gderf. I actually saw a suggesting like this and didn't want to try again but thanks I suppose this one is the answer! I *think* I ssh'd into the machine, cannot remember as I was also just connecting locally. Can anyone confirm that if the boot 'fails', ssh will (presumably) as well?

Incidentally, I'm running Win10 on my machine connecting to NAS. Anyone else noticed how nice it is to ssh in through WLS? :D

• If the boot fails, the presumption is that the OS isn't running, so neither will the ssh daemon.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hey gderf,
    Thanks again for your reply!
    1. Got curious, can confirm that solution worked for me as well. As I hadn't yet disabled the swap via the flash memory plugin, I got a boot delay looking for 4e98474e-c52b-42b3-996c-d46e6ffbb5b9. Once flash memory plugin was enabled, this went away - so solved.

If the boot fails, the presumption is that the OS isn't running, so neither will the ssh daemon.

Gotcha. Learned something new today, thanks!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!