Still another network problem (SSH 0K, GUI dead)

• Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your help. I know this is not a new thing, but I tried every other thread I found and I cannot solve the problem, so I'll really appreciate your help.

I'd reinstall OMV but I want to know why is failing because I'm damn sure it's because a plugin I put in just before the problem started. I only can access my NAS by SSH and serial 3 console. Is headless (WD Sentinel DX4000). The web browser says 'CONNECTION REFUSED' and when starting it shows the 'failed to raise network interfaces' or something like that.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge, I'm pretty new in NAS stuff. I'm leaving here some hints to show the thing, in the pictures. Regards.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I took a very quick look at the images.

It seems you have installed apache. That is fine, but do it using docker, otherwise it is likely to clobber the OMV GUI. OMV use the NGINX webserver.

In the future, backup the root fs. Then if you try something and it fails, you only have to restore the backup and everything is fine again.

• I took a very quick look at the images.

It seems you have installed apache. That is fine, but do it using docker, otherwise it is likely to clobber the OMV GUI. OMV use the NGINX webserver.

In the future, backup the root fs. Then if you try something and it fails, you only have to restore the backup and everything is fine again.

Thank you. As I see the NGINX is failing to load or start or something. And the docker I thougth it was a plugin, as I installed something with that name (and I don't remember why). So, as it was failing, I uninstalled it at all, it was not working anyways and I thought I didn't have it before.

I just reinstalled Docker and still is not working, even rebooting and stuff. I didn't installed manually apache, just tried to restart it with a 'non existing' message.

If NGINX server is the basic thing to run the web GUI my problem must be there, because is not working.

Any help to check NGINX? I don't know why stopped working. I just know that I installed OMV extras and some plugins.

• I took a very quick look at the images.

I'm pretty damn sure here is my problem:

• Some more hints. I'm trying to modify that file and see if I find the issue.

root@OMV:~# service nginx configtest
    Testing nginx configuration: failed!
    root@OMV:~# nginx -t
    nginx: [emerg] invalid number of arguments in "listen" directive in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/openmediavault-pxe:2
    nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

• FIXED!

I found the solution here:

Upgrade to 1.0 did not work - "Welcome to Nginx"

"You have an extra nginx configuration in sites-enabled producing errors (probably same port usage), move that configuration away from there. There should only be openmediavault there for now. Restart nginx and check if webinterface is back again.
    Report back please"

The issue was that the PXE plugin put more files in the '/etc/nginx/sites-enabled' directory, so NGINX was not starting. I think I'd need to fix the PXE stuff now, but at least I have the web GUI working which is nice.

Thank you for your help, it was enough to find the problem!

• Now the NFS service is not working. :c

Any suggestions? I reinstalled the nfs-common package, tried to restart the service but it says that it is 'masked' and is doing nothing. The dashboard shows it enabled but not working (red dot).

It says 'inactive (dead)'.

:C:C:C:C:C

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd start with a basic default fresh install. Prestine and perfect. Updated and everything default working perfectly.

Then backup or clone the root file system.

Then add whatever extras I need, step by small step. Creating a new root fs backup after every significant step.

If there are any tiny problems or minor irregularities at all at any step, I'd try to figure out why. What did I do wrong? Then restore the most recent backup to a perfect prestine state, and perform the step the perfect right way, then carry on with the next step.

I would leave no room at all for any mistakes or minor issues or any junk files or unused items, configurations or folders. Only allow what is absolutely necessary and what is actually working. Nothing else. No surprises! No unintended side effects! None! KISS!

And I would avoid plug-ins and prefer dockers. And I would avoid everything I don't intend to actually use.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!