create shared folder becomes impossible when docker folder is changed

• Before setting up any dockers I entered the absolute path in the OMV-extras field and I worked.

As I said: I think the intend of the message below is to leave the field blank if you have other configurations in the daemon.json you want to use, because these will be overwritten/not used when filling out the text field.
    Maybe @ryecoaaron can shed some light on this issue ? :)

• The takeaway for me is to move my existing Dockers from the sharedfolder physical disk to the OS physical disk.
    ....but I have been too scared to do it..so far since I am afraid to lose all the dockers configurations and data

• Offizieller Beitrag

Before setting up any dockers I entered the absolute path in the OMV-extras field and I worked.

That's exactly what I did on my test OMV5, created a share for Docker, installed docker, changed the path using the absolute path, then installed Portainer

• Perfect, it seems clear that daemon.json method is not the only solution.

There would be so much more to understand behind the use of daemon.json and its mentioning at the docker path description.
    But I guess this is not the thread for it any more.

I am happy we found a solution (actually 2!).

thanks a lot for all your help and support on this quest.
    Very much appreciated. :thumbup:

Kattivius

• now the question is if using absolute path in the docker text filed path, would work with absolute path and disregarding the message just below that explains to use daemon.json file and leave the path blank. (and of course, as tested, the daemon.json file HAS to be on absolute path as well).

Since my setup with 15 running containers has worked flawlessly for quite some time, I am not going to experiment with it. I think but do not know that this is how this works. Please correct me if I am wrong:

In the OMV-Extras GUI page, if the Docker storage is left blank, then the contents of the daemon.json file govern, this file needs to be proper and it should be checked to see that it is proper.

If something is entered into the Docker storage box, that content is checked to see if it contains a /sharedfolders path, and if so, the entry is rejected (openmediavault-omvextrasorg (5.1.7) and up). If the contents are accepted, then they are written into the daemon.json file.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think the intend of the message below is to leave the field blank if you have other configurations in the daemon.json you want to use, because these will be overwritten/not used when filling out the text field.
    Maybe @ryecoaaron can shed some light on this issue ?

In the OMV-Extras GUI page, if the Docker storage is left blank, then the contents of the daemon.json file govern, this file needs to be proper and it should be checked to see that it is proper.

If something is entered into the Docker storage box, that content is checked to see if it contains a /sharedfolders path, and if so, the entry is rejected (openmediavault-omvextrasorg (5.1.7) and up). If the contents are accepted, then they are written into the daemon.json file.

Correct. Basically, if you leave the path blank, omv-extras isn't going to maintain or check the daemon file at all. If you fill in a path, it will completely overwrite the file and check that the path as gderf mentioned.

If people change the path BEFORE installing docker, there should be no problem. If you want to change it after installing docker, omv-exras will not move the existing data.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Since my setup with 15 running containers has worked flawlessly for quite some time, I am not going to experiment with it. I think but do not know that this is how this works. Please correct me if I am wrong:

Thanks.
    worked!
    I changed daemon.json path and left the OMV-Extras GUI page path field blank.
    The result is that in the new path pointing to the external SSD, I have all a bunch of new folders that have been created within the folder container for the docker (that I have defined).
    I made that change after installing dockers.
    Works.

Kattivius

• Offizieller Beitrag

The takeaway for me is to move my existing Dockers from the sharedfolder physical disk to the OS physical disk.
    ....but I have been too scared to do it..so far since I am afraid to lose all the dockers configurations and data

This works fine if you have a fairly large OS disk Some of those containers folders can get very large. Read the threads where people are complaining their OS disk is full. Once they get some help trouble shooting the issue, I'd say a good 75-80% of the time, it's docker causing their disk to be full (and a vast majority of those times, it's a Plex or Emby docker... I've seen those databases top out 100gigs a few times)

If you're running a small OS disk (like a flash drive, or a small cheap SSD)... it would probably behoove those folks to get their containers off the OS drive.

• My Plex database (which is contained within its docker /config container path) once reached 220GB due to "Generate video preview thumbnails" being enabled on a quite large movie collection. I liked having those thumbnails but not that much so I disabled that and deleted them all. 220GB shrank to 32GB.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My Plex database (which is contained within its docker /config container path) once reached 220GB due to "Generate video preview thumbnails" being enabled on a quite large movie collection. I liked having those thumbnails but not that much so I disabled that and deleted them all. 220GB shrank to 32GB.

Did you create a special map that path for Plex to be in your config folder? (I think most OMV users don't have that directory on their OS drive)... I'm guessing you've seen the threads here with full OS drives that has been traced back to Plex or Emby.

Irregardless, I think there's sound reason for keeping your containers off the OS drive, especially if you're running a small OS drive. It's really not a huge issue as long as you pay attention.

• The Plex docker container path /config has to be mapped to a host path or it will default to being within the container and might not be persistent. I set up a volume/bind mount pointing the container /config to a host path on a drive in /srv/.....

If however one is using the Plex plugin (OMV 4 and previous) then the default setting is to place the database in /var/lib/plexmediaserver which is on the OMV system drive. Well known to fill up the OMV drive quickly. Mine is 16GB, and it wouldn't stand a chance. But if you don't know these things and just take the default, it will bite you sooner or later if you are running OMV on a small disk.

All my containers and their configs are on a non-system drive. As the docker collection grows, I move other content off the drive to make room. I put the Plex docker /config bind mount on a 240GB SSD I had lying around. It would take forever to fill that drive up so I basically set it and forget it.

--

• This works fine if you have a fairly large OS disk Some of those containers folders can get very large. Read the threads where people are complaining their OS disk is full. Once they get some help trouble shooting the issue, I'd say a good 75-80% of the time, it's docker causing their disk to be full (and a vast majority of those times, it's a Plex or Emby docker... I've seen those databases top out 100gigs a few times)
    If you're running a small OS disk (like a flash drive, or a small cheap SSD)... it would probably behoove those folks to get their containers off the OS drive.

Thanks for the warning KM0201 and gderf, I have a 256 GB SSD OS and a nice 16 TB sharedfolders file system using LVM2 with 4 disks in a new installation of OMV5.
    For now I think I will just wait and see
    Thanks again your feedback is appreciated.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!