create shared folder becomes impossible when docker folder is changed

• Greetings,
    first of all... I hope I am posting to the right forum section. Sunce this issue covers more than one area, I was not sure how to pin point the forum section....

I have an issue creating folders after altering the Dockers path.
    As I though I was making a mistake (and that is still possible after all X/ ), I have made 2 clean installs to test the same issue... sure enough, I can reproduce the problem every time.
    here below I describe the step by step to reproduce the issue:

1 installed OMV 5 on a raspberry pi 4b with a 1T SSD on USB3 following the instructions as per OMV guide: (https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…ing_OMV5_on_an%20R-PI.pdf)
    2 configured SSD and mounted
    3 configured folders and shared them using SMB (2 shares for this test)
    4 Installed Dockers (using GUI menu)
    5 Changed Dockers path and define a new location on the SSD by modifying the daemon.json file (as per description)
    6 Here comes the problem: attempted to create new folders (to continue the configuration) and receiving the error message when applying the changes.
    No more possibility to create folders.

what did I do:
    I clean installed OMV a second time and did exactly the same steps with same results.

Moreover...
    I than decided to revert the Docker path location to its original path.
    When restored, I was able to create folders and share them again

Peculiar enough, when I look at the Sharedfolders/ the failed attempt folders creation where actually there (can see them in SSH and winscp). But not visible in OMV. I also noticed a difference in permisisons (as after reverting the dockers location path, I have created new folders with same name). only the successful folder creation are visible in OMV

My conclusion:
    it seems that if One changes the Dockers path location using the daemon.json file to the shared folders in the external SSD, so to be able to have enough space for the apps, something get messed up with the permissions and no more folders can be created or at least, none can be used after those created before the path changed.
    (as far as I know, using the daemon.json, is the only way to be able to effectively change the Dockers path.)

Question:
    do any one knows a solution (if exits) to this issue?
    Anyone has a Pi 4b and tried to change the Dockers path and tried to create new folders?

Any way I can add the dockers path somewhere in the SSD and be able to share that folder outside the Sharedfolders/ without breaking more part of the system?

thank you
    regards,
    Kattivius

• Its the recommended practice to use the real folder path.

should not

It worked. Thanks. Very silly from me not have tried that!.
    I have changed the daemon.json with the absolute path and now I can create shared folders again.
    Side question: since I shared the dockers folder, I assumed I can open it once mapped. But looks like I get permission denied if I want to access it from a PC. (when shared, I set it Guest Allowed).
    Is it a normal behave? I am not allowed to access it mapping that folder?
    (I guess is not a big deal as I can access it via SSH as root. Maybe is even better for safety reasons)

• It worked. Thanks. Very silly from me not have tried that!.I have changed the daemon.json with the absolute path and now I can create shared folders again.
    Side question: since I shared the dockers folder, I assumed I can open it once mapped. But looks like I get permission denied if I want to access it from a PC. (when shared, I set it Guest Allowed).
    (I guess is not a big deal as I can access it via SSH as root. Maybe is even better for safety reasons)

Thanks kattivius to have mentioned "daemon.json" that need to be changed as well....
    I had the same issue that is now fixed. :)

• Thanks kattivius to have mentioned "daemon.json" that need to be changed as well....I had the same issue that is now fixed. :)

Glad to know I could help someone.
    By the credits go to Morlan.
    I solved my problem because of him...
    Yet, I appreciate my thread raised a solution to issues like I had.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It worked. Thanks. Very silly from me not have tried that!.I have changed the daemon.json with the absolute path and now I can create shared folders again.

Pretty sure that would be expected since root owns and has all priv's on the Containers folder you created. Honestly I can't come up with a logical reason for wanting to access this folder over a network share.

• Two independent threads with a similar name should be avoided. I can´t keep track :)

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• What I dont really understand is why you dont just use the option to change the docker base path in the omv-extras plugin? This is the easiest way.

OK , just to clarify what happened to me:
    - I first used the option to change the docker base path in the omv-extras plugin + I did not reboot = no joy ...
    - Then I saw the post from kattivius + edit "daemon.json" + reboot = Joy!

...and now I read your post and understand that "docker base path in the omv-extras plugin" = ""daemon.json" !
    (I will go to bed smarter tonight....) :)

• What I dont really understand is why you dont just use the option to change the docker base path in the omv-extras plugin? This is the easiest way.

In all my tests, if I simply change the docker path in the path text field in the GUI, I am than unable to create any more shared folders.
    And the omv-extras plugin itself explains to use the daemon.json if one wants to change the docker path + leaving blank the path text field. See attached snapshot !

• Unfortunately this happens sometimes. Then simply wait for about 30 seconds. Then go to the forum´s start page. Don´t reload the actual page.
    I most cases the post was successful.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• In all my tests, if I simply change the docker path in the path text field in the GUI, I am than unable to create any more shared folders.
    And the omv-extras plugin itself explains to use the daemon.json if one wants to change the docker path + leaving blank the path text field. See attached snapshot !

Have you tried stating the /srv/dev- .... path there?
    I think what is meant by Leave blank to use custom /etc/docker/daemon.json is that if you are using costumized settings in the .json other then the docker base path you should leave the field blank.

• no I have not.
    But in the daemon.json, I did (use the absolute path) or it would not work as well.
    Did you try using the absolute path in the path field in the GUI and than tried to create shared folders? did it work?
    If so, s probably the nicer way to do it.
    Not sure why there would be 2 ways to achieve the same results... but if it works... it works.
    Please, let me know.

• Quoting from the OMV-Extras changelog:

Code
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg (5.1.7) stable; urgency=low

* Check docker storage path and prevent use of /sharedfolders path

My suggestion for OMV 5 is to not use any /sharedfolders paths in anything docker related, period.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• sounds just about right!
    As we noticed so far, when using /sharedfolders there is a problem.

now the question is if using absolute path in the docker text filed path, would work with absolute path and disregarding the message just below that explains to use daemon.json file and leave the path blank. (and of course, as tested, the daemon.json file HAS to be on absolute path as well).

I will give it a try after Xmass and will use the gui text field path and add the absolute path to it. reset the daemon.json file as the original and try to create shared folders again.
    I will report my experience as soon as i have done.
    Something tells me it can work out... but one can never be sure till we try... Cartesian style!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!