omv 6 Web GUI

• @fraxor How does it look like? Where did you see new GUI from omv 6?

I´m just waiting for final omv 5.

greetings

Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI, Intel G4560, 16GB RAM, Fractal Node 304, Raid 1 (2x2TB)
    Fritzbox 7590,ZyXEL GS1900-10HP, APC
    USP ES700G

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von sunpower ()

• Oh sorry, for my stupid questions.

The solution is at openmediavault.org -> latest news

I didn´t have had a look before my questions.

Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI, Intel G4560, 16GB RAM, Fractal Node 304, Raid 1 (2x2TB)
    Fritzbox 7590,ZyXEL GS1900-10HP, APC
    USP ES700G

• Please excuse my dumb question but I'm a bit confused. A colleague pointed me to OMV as os for my home server. Please tell me whats the current version to go for! On your website you promote the gui changes in version 6 but here in forum version 5 is labeled as beta. On the download webpage there are v4 and v5 (without beta) living along each other. What version is recommended at the moment? OMV6 is almost there while 5 is still beta?!?

edit: or is there a numbering mismatch and the new gui is meant for version 5?

• Please excuse my dumb question but I'm a bit confused. A colleague pointed me to OMV as os for my home server. Please tell me whats the current version to go for! On your website you promote the gui changes in version 6 but here in forum version 5 is labeled as beta. On the download webpage there are v4 and v5 (without beta) living along each other. What version is recommended at the moment? OMV6 is almost there while 5 is still beta?!?

edit: or is there a numbering mismatch and the new gui is meant for version 5?

Current stable is OMV4, OMV5 is at very late BETA status. OMV6 is in very early development.

• is a way to upgrade form ovm 4.x to 5.x?

This is the procedure I used. It worked for me, but you should never try anything like this unless you have a known good verified to be restorable backup of your OMV 4.

Code
    https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/27909-ETA-for-OMV-5-0-weeks-months-quarters-2020/?postID=219830#post219830

A few notes. You should make a list of all your plugins and verify which of them are also available for for OMV 5. See:

Code
    https://bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/usul

Any OMV 4 plugin that has been ported to OMV 5 can be left installed on OMV 4. If there isn't one ported to OMV 5 then you must uninstall the plugin and seek an alternate method to have the same capability - usually provided by a docker. I didn't take any chances with this. I made a list of all my installed plugins on OMV 4, then I removed them all, did the upgrade, and then installed all the plugins again using those available for OMV 5.

Good luck!

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thank you @gderf for the Links, i'll give it a shot when i get some time next year :)

and then i have to ask you how ti find out the installed Plugin, because i see some Plugins in OMV (which those are not mentioned in the binary.com link) some in OMV-Extras.

• This was the hard part for me - trying to figure out which of my installed plugins came as core plugins from OMV and which ones came from OMV extras. Rather than try to figure that out I just made a list of all installed plugins, removed them all, and then installed whichever ones on my list that I could find for OMV 5. I'm pretty sure I got them all back except for the DockerGUI plugin. Portainer from OMV extras 5 filled that need.

As for which ones you have installed, look in the Plugins list - the ones with the green dot are installed.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• This was the hard part for me - trying to figure out which of my installed plugins came as core plugins from OMV and which ones came from OMV extras. Rather than try to figure that out I just made a list of all installed plugins, removed them all, and then installed whichever ones on my list that I could find for OMV 5. I'm pretty sure I got them all back except for the DockerGUI plugin. Portainer from OMV extras 5 filled that need.

As for which ones you have installed, look in the Plugins list - the ones with the green dot are installed.

I would make this the same way...
    all the one with the green dot in the plugins.
    also as i'm confident not using the docker gui, i dont care to uninstall completely the omv extras.

thanks for specify the workflow of upgrade from omv4 to 5.

i need to make an clonezilla (because with dd i could not restore a backup successfully due of running container when dd the whole disk).

• i need to make an clonezilla (because with dd i could not restore a backup successfully due of running container when dd the whole disk).

That's interesting. I make daily dd images of my running OMV system disk and frequently test them by restoring to other identical media and never had any problems. I have 15 dockers running all the time, including when the dd images are made.

--

• Hi OMV-Team and Comunity

the new GUI looks hot!!!
    good work!

it will be possible to implement this with the OMV 4?

PLEAAAASE do not reuse the very same UI as freenas... it's a disaster in terms of UI design !

* TOO much wasted space
    * Position of "label" and field is totaly unintuitive....
    * There might some cool features to steal from FreeNAS but UI is certainly not one of them !!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

PLEAAAASE do not reuse the very same UI as freenas... it's a disaster in terms of UI design !

OMV6 is based on Angular + Material. There are no choices doing something different. The design and look is given by the framework. By the way, Material is the design and principle used in Google Android. You can be sure that i've intensively evaluated other frameworks.

P.S.: The Angular Material team is working on a high dense mode.

• OMV6 is based on Angular + Material. There are no choices doing something different. The design and look is given by the framework. By the way, Material is the design and principle used in Google Android. You can be sure that i've intensively evaluated other frameworks.

Thanks for the answer,

OK I understand your choice,

I'm must be getting too old for computers because I can't stand the current trend in UI design:

But anyway I know it's "pissing against the wind" trying to get rid of this trend!

Thanks for your efforts and for the tremendous work you give to the opensource community!

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!