OMV doesn't boot After install on NanoPi M4v2

• Hey guys,
    I got in some trouble with my OMV Installation. I installed OMV 5 on Nanopi m4v2 with a fresh Armbian Buster like described in the tutorial.

After the Installation OMV and Armbian works fine for a few hours without any problems. But after a few hours or if i reboot a few times the system seems to crash and won't be able to boot again. If i Power off/on the Nanopi nothing happens, it's like there were no sd-card in the board. I don't know what could be the problem. Also tried a few times to do a fresh Installation on a new Armbian without any changes in Armbian or in OMV but always the same Problem. Any ideas from you?
    Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds like your sd card is junk.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Too many writes I guess?

For devices with extremely limited writes need install folder2ram and openmediavault-flashmemory addons. Without it you have timebomb and timer is ticking.

Did you try to test your card for integrity with testing software like H2testw?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The tutorial recommends a new SD-card (2 new cards in fact) *and* testing the card before use. A link to h2testw1.4 is provided.

For devices with extremely limited writes need install folder2ram and openmediavault-flashmemory addons.

The scripted install, in the tutorial, installs the OMVExtras with the flashmemory (folder2ram) plugin, by default.

• The scripted install, in the tutorial, installs the OMVExtras with the flashmemory (folder2ram) plugin, by default.

Oh, glad to know. It's not clear from the pdf and never mentioned in readme.md's
    I'll try to study this script - maybe it will be handy for next installs.

• thanks for your answers. I already tried 2 different sd-cards, sandisk Extreme and sandisk Ultra. Both were checked with h2testw before installation and after the problem occured, no problems detected. Any other ideas? I will try it with an emmc flash to look, if this will also crash.

• Any other ideas?

Just one. Is sdcard mandatory or USB stick will do? I mean has nanopi a SD slot or you are using adaptor?
    I bought at Aliexpress 64Gb USB-SSD stick for $10 (11.11 sale, now S13 or so). It must arrive day to day.
    You can buy it too and never bother yourself with write failures.

If you are interested, here the review of it with numbers and tests. It's in Russian but you can use online-translator or just look at pictures.
    https://mysku.ru/blog/aliexpress/77676.html

Trim supported.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any other ideas?

The vast majority of problems with SBC's fall into two categories:
    1. SD-cards
    2. Power issues / power supply.

The board itself is a 3rd possibility.

Since I don't have one (A Nano-PI), a first look appears to show that it's powered by USB type C connection. With a short cable, that should work, but there's always the question of the health of the power supply.

Note that the base OS is Armbian, where OMV is an application installed on top. Here's a link to Armbian's troubleshooting doc. In your case, you might get better results from the Armbian forum.

If you just bought this Nano-PI (with the PS, etc.) working with it sooner is better than later. Don't wait to try to find the reason for the problem, while a possible "return to vendor" window passes.

It's not clear from the pdf and never mentioned in readme.md's

There are many topics not mentioned in OMV's tutorials and How-To's. :) The idea is to get users started where, with some time, they'll pick up some of the extra bits with some exposure.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It could be you don't have a static IP set yet and you aren't looking at the right address. It happened to me once on the NanoPi M4 and I was able to find it using the Connected Devices on my router. How do you know it is not booting?

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• hi, sorry for the late answer but i had a lot of stuff to do the Last days. I tried installing armbian on the emmc flash now, first with kernel 4.4. The working speed just was so terrible slow (but not with sd-card?) and i still got the same problem so i decided to use armbian with kernel 5.4 and now the speed is pretty good. I backed up the untouched System and could start the nanopi after that. After installing OMV and a backup of the system the nanopi won't start like said in my first post. I recognised, that the system will not only crash after a few hours, i can speed this up und crash it instantly with doing a backup. But only when OMV is installed. Untouched systems working fine, no matter if original friendlyelec system or armbian. So thats no Problem of the SD-card or the power suply.
    @Agricola i already habe omv running in my Raspberry Pi4, so s wrong IP isn't the Problem. I recognised the board is not booting because the heartbeat LED won't start flashing and the green LED at the lan port ist flashing 3 seconds at plug on the board and turns off then. Only the Orange one will flash when its the Lan cable is pluged in. Also no output on HDMI.
    Thats why i'm writung in the OMV Forum because i think the Problem is caused from OMV ( like said the untouched system dont have the issue).
    @Morlan this thread was helpful before armbian released a official OS for the NanoPi M4v2 (which was about 2 Werks ago). These guys there were involved developing tue OS.
    Any other ideas how to check whats happening with the system?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!