Cloned 80gb SSD to 120gb SSD with Clonezilla, stops working after a few hours

• I bought a 120gb SSD which is 6gb/s instead of 3gb/s which my old 80gb SSD is.
    I don't want to reinstall everything, as I have many special configurations together with a lot of Docker containers. So I plugged in the new disk and used Clonezilla to clone the disk. Tried two methods, one with the variable "-k1" which resizes the partition to fit the new larger disk, and also tried using Clonezilla with default settings, and launching Gparted to resize the partition later.
    Both variants gives me the same end result.

On first boot it works great, and keeps working for a few hours. But then it stops working, and after a reboot this is what I am greeted with:

And this is where it stops:

So I am stuck, and Clonezilla shows no errors at all, neither does Gparted.

Is there any other way I can move to the larger SSD? Can I install OMV4 from scratch on the new SSD, and then manually copy all the files from the old SSD to the new? Will this keep all my configurations and settings? If this works, how do I do this correctly?

Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It looks as if the 120GB SSD is bad. Fix that first. Is it an old SSD? Perhaps it is close to dead?

Check SMART values. Do a normal (not fast) format. Then check SMART values again. If there are any problems due to old age, then it is likely to become worse fast.

• Can I install OMV4 from scratch on the new SSD, and then manually copy all the files from the old SSD to the new? Will this keep all my configurations and settings? If this works, how do I do this correctly?

No, that will not work.

Have you booted to 80GB SSD with the 120GB SSD plugged in and run fsck on the 120GB drive? Have you tried plugging the 120GB SSD into another SATA port?

Is there a specific reason you need such a large OMV system drive? Many experienced users try to minimize the size of the system drive. I myself run on a 16GB SSD with room to spare.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• It looks as if the 120GB SSD is bad. Fix that first. Is it an old SSD? Perhaps it is close to dead?
    Check SMART values. Do a normal (not fast) format. Then check SMART values again. If there are any problems due to old age, then it is likely to become worse fast.

It is brand new!

No, that will not work.
    Have you booted to 80GB SSD with the 120GB SSD plugged in and run fsck on the 120GB drive? Have you tried plugging the 120GB SSD into another SATA port?

Is there a specific reason you need such a large OMV system drive? Many experienced users try to minimize the size of the system drive. I myself run on a 16GB SSD with room to spare.

What does fsck do?
    No I am using the same SATA port the working 80gb disk is using.

No it is the cheapest 6gb/s ssd I could find here.
    I changed the 80gb/s because it got a few bad sectors according to smart. But it was still working.

• fsck checks a filesystem.

A SATA port can only accept one drive at a time.

I wouldn't scrimp on a drive to the point where it becomes possible to be obtaining low quality or even counterfeit goods. Buying used disks is also risky, but I have many used Samsung and SanDisk SSDs and have not had any problems with them.

Once a disk begins accumulating bad sectors, you should replace it immediately and be prepared to lose all its data until you do.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• So since it is new you don't think it can be bad? What is the harm in checking if it is OK?

If it is bad then you should be able to swap it out using the warranty.

The errors you posted says it is bad. Very bad!

I formated the drive in Windows (normal format) and then ran the GSmartControl application. This is what I find under Error log:

I guess that's a bad drive? Kingstons own SSD check reports no errors. And a Short selftest with GSmartControls returns no errors either.

Yes, of course I only use one drive at a time. I meant that I use the same port and cable as the 80GB which is confirmed working.
    This is a Kingston SSD. Samsung I do not like, because I have had the 840 Evo which has a lot of issues.
    Yes, that is why I am replacing my 80gb SSD, to prevent that happening!

• Or is there not any problem with in the new ssd but a problem when cloning an older ssd which has a few bad sectors? The 80gb ssd does work perfectly but can cloning a drive with bad sectors to new one cause problems like I am having?

I will try to return/exchange it tomorrow!

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, you can't copy bad sectors like you describe it.

The Windows screen dump seem to indicate that the SSD is very very bad indeed.

Since it is brand new I assume you still have warranty let on it? Use that to get the drive replaced.

And if you live in EU see this: https://europa.eu/youreurope/c…tees-returns/index_en.htm

If you bought the drive from some dodgy place, and it is some reputable brand, it might be a counterfeit drive.

I have several SSDs. Intel, Samsung, Crucial and SanDisk, SATA and NVMe. All work perfectly fine. The main difference is in price, performance and capacity. Even my oldest 80GB Intel X25-M SATA2 drive from 2008 works fine. But it is rarely used now.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!