Couldn't extract an UUID from the provided path

• Hello,

I've just installed the latest omv 5.x and ran into a weird problem with the unionFS plugin. I can create a merged FS just fine and I can create shared folders on it just fine too. But as soon as I start adding these folders as shares for NFS and SMB, I start getting the subj error. If I add the SMB share first, then the error says:

Couldn't extract an UUID from the provided path '/sharedfolders/images'.

If I add the NFS share first, then the error says:

Couldn't extract an UUID from the provided path '/export/images'.

When I check the details, I see the following log:

Code
    Error #0:OMV\Exception: Couldn't extract an UUID from the provided path '/sharedfolders/images'. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/filesystem/backend/mergerfs.inc:87Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/filesystem/backend/mergerfs.inc(64): OMV\System\Filesystem\Backend\Mergerfs::extractUuidFromMountPoint('/sharedfolders/...')#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/filesystem/filesystem.inc(891): OMV\System\Filesystem\Backend\Mergerfs->getImpl('1:2')#2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/sharemgmt.inc(158): OMV\System\Filesystem\Filesystem::getImplByMountPoint('/srv/2bea2396-1...')#3 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\ShareMgmt->enumerateSharedFolders(Array, Array)#4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('enumerateShared...', Array, Array)#6 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('ShareMgmt', 'enumerateShared...', Array, Array, 1)#7 {main}

I tried recreating the FS and shared folders. I even tried reinstalling the omv, but the results are still the same. The relevant mount output shows this:

and the fstab looks like this:

Any idea what the hell is going on here? I had this exact same setup in omv 4.x and it worked perfectly fine. I know I can always go back to 4.x and that 5.x is still technically in beta stage, but I figured I'd ask first in case it's something simple I'm missing.

• I think I found the problem. I'm not going to waste too much time trying to figure out if I'm right or not, but it looks like for mergerfs to work properly, its mount must be on top (first to be mounted I assume), before any fold mounts:

After each reboot, it does look like this and everything works fine. As soon as I create a shared folder and try to add it to NFS or SMB, the order changes:

Once that happens, I can't do anything else with this folder due to the subj error and have to reboot to fix the order. All in all took me 4-5 reboots for two shared folders added to both NFS and SMB. Not ideal, but I can live with this since I don't create shared folders too often. Still though, appears to be a bug which you may want to know about.

• I think I found the problem. I'm not going to waste too much time trying to figure out if I'm right or not, but it looks like for mergerfs to work properly, its mount must be on top (first to be mounted I assume), before any fold mounts:

After each reboot, it does look like this and everything works fine. As soon as I create a shared folder and try to add it to NFS or SMB, the order changes:

Once that happens, I can't do anything else with this folder due to the subj error and have to reboot to fix the order. All in all took me 4-5 reboots for two shared folders added to both NFS and SMB. Not ideal, but I can live with this since I don't create shared folders too often. Still though, appears to be a bug which you may want to know about.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My omv version is 5.3.2.There is still the problem.

This was fixed a while ago. Are you sure you have the latest unionfilesystem plugin? What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep openm

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I am experiencing the same issue on a fresh OMV 5 system. I've not restarted yet to see if the issue fixes itself after a reboot, but wanted to pass on my package versions. What version of unionfilesystem plugin was this fixed in? I just updated to most current available in apt.

I only have the extra's repo enabled, is your fix in the testing only by chance?

Tried updating my repo's to testing, community updates, and pre-release, and no new updates are available. Also worthy to notice, I do not actually even have a /sharedfolders/tank (which is what my error is) in /etc/fstab. That is only mounted to a /srv/uuid number, is that my issue?

Code
    root@Storage01:~# dpkg -l | grep openm
    ii  omvextras-unionbackend           5.0.2                               all          union filesystems backend plugin for openmediavault
    ii  openmediavault                   5.3.5-1                             all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-backup            5.1                                 all          backup plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii  openmediavault-keyring           1.0                                 all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii  openmediavault-omvextrasorg      5.2.5                               all          OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    ii  openmediavault-resetperms        5.0                                 all          Reset Permissions
    ii  openmediavault-sharerootfs       5.0.2-1                             all          openmediavault share root filesystem plugin
    ii  openmediavault-unionfilesystems  5.1                                 all          Union filesystems plugin for OpenMediaVault.

Code
    # >>> [openmediavault]
    /dev/disk/by-label/swr5         /srv/dev-disk-by-label-swr5     ext4    defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl    0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/pool1                /srv/dev-disk-by-label-pool1    ext4    defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl    0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/pool2                /srv/dev-disk-by-label-pool2    ext4    defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl    0 2
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-pool2:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-pool1               /srv/f06162aa-d865-4946-ac7b-d0861649afe6       fuse.mergerfs   defaults,allow_other,cache.files=off,use_ino,category.create=eplfs,minfreespace=25G       0 0
    /opt/localtank/         /export/localtank       none    bind,nofail     0 0
    /srv/f06162aa-d865-4946-ac7b-d0861649afe6/              /export/tank    none    bind,nofail     0 0
    # <<< [openmediavault]
    • Offizieller Beitrag

What version of unionfilesystem plugin was this fixed in?

It was fixed in omv itself not the plugin.

only have the extra's repo enabled, is your fix in the testing only by chance?

Nope

Also worthy to notice, I do not actually even have a /sharedfolders/tank (which is what my error is) in /etc/fstab.

Starting with OMV 5.3.4, /sharedfolders is disabled by default due to problems.

hat is only mounted to a /srv/uuid number, is that my issue?

Nope. I think your issue is the /opt/localtank bind mount. I have no idea what is created that but it is probably causing the problem. Posting the actual error would be helpful.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Here's the error I'm getting. First, I created a localtank shared folder in omv, which pointed to /opt/localtank local OS disk folder, no mergerfs or anything. It worked fine. Problem only started, after adding my 2 raid arrays, then mergerfs'ed them into "tank" which mounts to /srv/f06162aa-d865-4946-ac7b-d0861649afe6/. That seemed to be fine, then I added that mergerfs to a sharedfolder, so I could setup an nfs share. Then things seem to have went downhill.

I am working on moving my stuff that accesses the nfs, to local omv sever, so I can attempt to remove the nfs share. I can confirm that /sharedfolders/tank does not exist in /etc/fstab, but it does exist in /proc/mounts.

Code
    root@Storage01:~/docker/content# cat /proc/mounts | grep 2:1
    2:1 /sharedfolders/tank fuse.mergerfs rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
    2:1 /export/tank fuse.mergerfs rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
    2:1 /srv/f06162aa-d865-4946-ac7b-d0861649afe6 fuse.mergerfs rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I created a localtank shared folder in omv, which pointed to /opt/localtank local OS disk folder, no mergerfs or anything.

Using the sharerootfs plugin, correct?

As for the sharedfolder problem, I think you need to disable them. Add OMV_SHAREDFOLDERS_DIR_ENABLED="NO" to /etc/default/openmediavault and then run omv-salt deploy run systemd. I think that will fix the problem.

• Using the sharerootfs plugin, correct?

I'm going to guess yes, I do have the sharerootfs plugin installed, I used the Shared Folders option on the left menu to add the local path as a shared folder, so I could use it elsewhere.

I disabled the shared folders as you indicated. That ran with 10 succeded, and 5 changed. It did show this error at the initial of the run, but don't see it hurt any.

Python
    root@Storage01:~/docker/content# omv-salt deploy run systemd
    /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/modules/file.py:32: DeprecationWarning: Using or importing the ABCs from 'collections' instead of from 'collections.abc' is deprecated, and in 3.8 it will stop working
      from collections import Iterable, Mapping, namedtuple

Although, now the error changed to /export/tank

• Offizieller Beitrag

Although, now the error changed to /export/tank

I will have to try to recreate this. What is the output of: cat /proc/mounts

• No problem, like I said, I'm going to work around it and work on not needing nfs. But if this will still be an issue with smb, it will complicate things a bit more and require me to use sshfs to map my share to windows, still not impossible. Just let me know if you need anything else from me. I am running docker, but I am mapping to the /srv/ path, and doing bind mounts to the OS fs.

Seems my codeblock is to long to post /proc/mounts, so here is a paste of it.
    https://hastebin.com/efafemelat.cs

• Offizieller Beitrag

Seems my codeblock is to long to post /proc/mounts, so here is a paste of it.

I didn't notice earlier but now I notice your pool was created with an old version of the plugin since the filesystem name is 2:1. But that most likely is not the problem. You still have your /sharedfolders/tank bind mount. That tells me that even disabling /sharedfolders cleans up the bind mount unit files in /etc/systemd//system, it doesn't unmount the bind mounts. I would reboot and try it again. I had no problem creating a pool with the unionfilesystem plugin and an nfs share using that pool.

• Odd, wonder how old the plugin was, since this is a fairly recent install. Not sure if it mattered, but I did a clean Debian 10 install, then installed OMV5 over top, since I wanted to build a raid6 array for the OS. The mergerfs pool was just added this weekend as I moved the two raid6 arrays for my mass storage from my old server. I had everything updated prior to that as well.

I will do a reboot after while when I can take the server down. I appreciate you looking into it, and will let you know if it still gives me a problem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Odd, wonder how old the plugin was, since this is a fairly recent install. Not sure if it mattered, but I did a clean Debian 10 install, then installed OMV5 over top, since I wanted to build a raid6 array for the OS. The mergerfs pool was just added this weekend as I moved the two raid6 arrays for my mass storage from my old server. I had everything updated prior to that as well.

Actually, I guess I never pushed that change out and was thinking of the mergerfsfolders plugin. Either way, I don't think that is the issue anyway.

• Offizieller Beitrag

does the unionfilesystems plugin still have the problem then?

No. I thought the fsname change was pushed out which was important for the mergerfsfolders plugin. It is mainly to improve the display in /proc/mounts and not important for the unionfilesystem plugin unless you make two exactly identical pools (including selecting the branches in the same order) but I have no idea why someone would do that.

Is the fix to disable the sharedfolders like you had me do before?

I think it is. /sharedfolders causes more problems than just the unionfilesystem plugin.

• I went ahead and rebooted, and it does look like that has solved the issue with the sharedfolders in OMV gui. BUT, it looks like /sharedfolders is still being mounted in the shell. I tried to apply it again, and am doing another reboot. I have no problems with getting rid of /sharedfolders, I am using the /srv/ paths anyway. Any suggestion on how to go ahead and get it gone?

• Found another post, that indicated to run `omv-salt stage run prepare` first then run `omv-salt deply run systemd` then I rebooted, and now looks like the /sharedfolders is finally gone! I appreciate all your help with this!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!