[HowTo] SnapRAID in OMV

• I'm new in the OMV but I want to use SnapRaid plugin.

Until this time, I used mdadm with raid5 in an Intel Atom A330 based server.
    I use a Highpoint Rocket Raid 1820 8port PCI-X fake raid card, which is working flawless in the machine. (I tried earlyer with other linux distros woth no luck)

At this time I try to set up OMV with SnapRaid on VM.
    I have already created 3 drives (1 for parity)
    But I stucked.
    I"ve formatte them to EXT4 and mounted as HDDB HDDC HDDD (HDDA -->sda is for OS) .
    HDDD is the parity disk. I already added HDDB and HDDC to Data.
    I added all the 3 driver to content and I ran the sync command.
    My problem is that, I can't see the 3 drives in a pool (together) .
    I checked the "ENABLE POOL" setting named as VIRTUAL but it doesn't shown nowhere.
    What did I missed ? I guess there is no pool created or, just not mounted properly ?

Please give me some instructions! (As to a new user. I can type in CLI with SSH) :)
    Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have samba enabled?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of:

ls -al /media/
    cat /etc/samba/smb.conf

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• The problem is that, I don't see any wirtual share in SMB, I can't select it (the whole pool)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Everything looks ok. Can you manually type it in in explorer and access by: \\servername\virtual

• Thanks!
    Yes, Now I can see it on the local network, but I can't acces it.
    Becouse there is no created SMB shared folder or Shared folder, where can I set up the privileges ?? (I have a user with pass, but no privileges)
    And hogy can I write to this pool ? (I don't want to use that way, when I have to manage all drive separetely)

• May be a dumb question, but do you only have SMB enabled or do you already have created some shared folders via OMV WebUI?
    (on the left side) "User Rights Management" >> "Shared Folders" >> "Add".
    If you have created them here, you can add them under "SMB/CIFS" >> "Shares"

• Offizieller Beitrag

The pool is always read only and doesn't have any options for privileges. I think its purpose is for pooling media drives for a media player. If you want a read write pool, use aufs or greyhole.

• I know the pool which is created by the snapraid is read only.
    I've seen as option to write to the whole poole is the following:
    -Mhddfs - acoording to forums its stable but slow 30-40MB/s
    -Aufs - fast but generates error
    -LVM - heavy load

Greyhole?? I haven't heard about it.
    This is why i would like to use mhddfs.
    Or can someone tell me which to use why, and how to install and set is up??
    Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have copied over 20 TB of data with aufs with no error and it is fast. I've been using it on my media server for a couple weeks now.

• Please tell me how to set it up, to be able to see in Shared Folders setting.
    I would like to use a couple share, for movies, pictures, work files, music with different privilege settings.
    The only problem is now when I try to adda shared folder, and I have to select a volume I see just the 3 vHDD, not the pool.
    This is my main goal.

And I have another question with SnapRAID, what should I add in "content" ? all the drivers ?
    As far as I know in Data disks I have to add the disk without parity drive.
    I select the parity driver on the main sceen (on settings tab)
    I don't realy understand how can this plugin make parity ? For example what if I lose a data disk ? Will it be able the browse online (as mdadm degraded array still work with 1 disk fail.) or should I do somethig immediatly?

Sorry for the noob questions but I'm new with SnapRAID, until now I used just mdadm.

• Newbie here with my first install of OMV and SnapRaid...

I created a SnapRaid pool and accessed the share from Windows. I tried copying files to the share, but don't have permissions. Other posts mentioned the pool is read only, and I presume that's why I can't write to the pool, or maybe I don't understand the purpose of OMV + SnapRaid?

Ideally I want a NAS for my media and files, with extra features for antivirus, torrent, ftp, user quota limits, and someday a plugin to Amazon S3/Glacier for offsite backup.
    The NAS's drives would be pooled (a bunch of physical drives seen as 1 huge logical drive), and using snapshot parity for redundancy/recoverability.
    I want the NAS to serve my family, and accessible over the Internet, our personal/private cloud.

Why is the SnapRaid read only?
    What do I do need to do or use so I can get writeable storage?

If I can get this to work, I'm going to be REAL HAPPY and thankful.

Jake

• SnapRAID has no function to allocate the files to the HDDs. Maybe "aufs" or "greyhole" are better. There are plugins for this. You can use snapraid for parity with this plugins, too

• I'm doing some experimentation pooling the drives (Greyhole), and hoping to use SnapRaid to do a parity snapshot of my Greyhole pools. Hopefully I get the configuration right.

Not sure of the difference between Content and Data. To me they mean the same thing.

So far the install, configuration, and learning process isn't too bad; the developers have done a great job on the interface. The confusion is from all the different parts (OMV->Physical Disks->FileSystems->Samba Shares->Greyhole Pools-> Greyhole Samba Shares->SnapRaid Data->SnapRaid Content(?). I need a configuration wizard to tie it all together :)

Once I get this part done, I can simulate failures and adding new drives for storage expansion.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Data drives are where parity is calculated from.
    Content is a list and checksums of your files on the data drives put into a content file. You need this list to rebuild if a drive fails. You never know which drive will fail. So, the more places you can put this list, the better. Hope that helps :)

We definitely need and are working on better documentation for the plugins.

• What's the difference between a "Content File" and a "Parity Volume"?

The parity/content configurations are on different tabs, so I'm assuming they aren't strongly related. If they are related, I'd like to see the parity configuration on one tab. A UI that sets up the parity file, and telling it which drive to physically live.

I'd also prefer not to call the same thing by two names (presuming, or perhaps I don't understand). If it is a "parity" file, then call it a parity file instead of "content". To me content = data, or too generic of a term.

As for the documentation...there's a great community forum to ask the questions and get satisfying answers.

Thank you,
    Jake

• Offizieller Beitrag

The parity file is large and is the data (parity) you need to restore in case of failure. You need one for the equivalent of raid 5. Two for raid 6.

The content file is small and is the list (list of files and their checksums) you need to verify that restore. It doesn't hurt to have a content file on every drive. You can't restore a file from its checksum but it does help verify that the file is the same. I suppose you technically wouldn't need a content file but then you have no way to if all files were recovered and verify that their integrity (before and after checksums are the same).

• Thanks for the explanation.

Duplicate content (checksum) file seems important in case the file becomes corrupted. If data corruption does occur, I want to know if the corruption is in the data, the checksum, or the parity.

Thanks for the tip.

Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

The parity file is large and is the data (parity) you need to restore in case of failure. You need one for the equivalent of raid 5. Two for raid 6.

The content file is small and is the list (list of files and their checksums) you need to verify that restore. It doesn't hurt to have a content file on every drive. You can't restore a file from its checksum but it does help verify that the file is the same. I suppose you technically wouldn't need a content file but then you have no way to if all files were recovered and verify that their integrity (before and after checksums are the same).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!