SFTP Plugin Problem

• Same problem here, and your insight and help was really really appreciated.

I installed OMV in a OrangePi Plus 2e, attached a couple of drives and could not make SFTP with chroot to work.

After chmod 755-ing / everything looks to be working normally.

Thanks again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

After chmod 755-ing / everything looks to be working normally.

The installscript will fix this now. https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…ba1199b79c0b1c416200fa7a1

• and therefore I checked the permissions. I found that my / was set as root:root 775 and not root:root 755.

I backed up my system and changed the permissions with "chmod 755 /".

chmod 755 / fixed it for me! Thanks!

Do you by any chance know why I'm seeing a dev folder when I log in? I see the other folders that I enabled and wanted to see, but I also see dev. How do I remove it from the folder that is being seen when logged in sftp?

• I don't use the sftp plugin, I set up sftp by hand ages ago long before I started to use OMV so this practice was carried over.

In my setups, the /dev folder contains a log socket. It is required to be within the chroot environment or it will not work.

I suppose that if you want to run sftp without any logging enabled (not a good idea) then you could disable logging for the service in /etc/rsyslog.d by determining which is the appropriate file there and renaming it so it does not have conf as the final extension name. Then either restart the logging service or reboot the machine. As root should then be able to delete the /dev folder in the chroot.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you by any chance know why I'm seeing a dev folder when I log in? I see the other folders that I enabled and wanted to see, but I also see dev. How do I remove it from the folder that is being seen when logged in sftp?

The dev folder is there on purpose. That is a link to the rsyslog log socket. Why do you want to remove it?

• The installscript will fix this now. https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…ba1199b79c0b1c416200fa7a1

I did have a very close problem even if I installed OMV 5 with SFTP plugin v.5.0.4.: incorrect permissions on /sftp folder.

Only thing gone better: /sftp folder was created.

BUT: no access for sftp-group users, access to / for other users.

I did chmod 755 /sftp and then the same on the user folder, so chmod 755 /sftp/<sftp_specific_user> in my case

This fixed almost everything: sftp-group users now can access the right folder, while non sftp-group user have no access at all (in my case the "group" is composed only by <sftp_specific_user>).

Only problem left: now <sftp_specific_user> and the sftp-group users can access the folder assigned, but all the files and folders that were ALREADY INSIDE that folder can't be accessed.

Should I do  chmod 755 -R /sftp OR chmod 755 -R /sftp/<sftp_specific_user> to change the permissions to avery file/folder ?

(By the way it's a quite big folder with a lot of subfolders)

PS: This time I ask BEFORE doing "kamikaze coding" :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Should I do chmod 755 -R /sftp OR chmod 755 -R /sftp/<sftp_specific_user> to change the permissions to avery file/folder ?

I'm not sure why you need to do that. The saltstack code is supposed to be doing that - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…10_sftp_user_dirs.sls#L27

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm not sure why you need to do that. The saltstack code is supposed to be doing that - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…10_sftp_user_dirs.sls#L27

I don't know either, Rye.

I've read what you say before doing that: but in my case, appearently, something has gone wrong.

And I tell you: I struggled for more than one day in my attempts to make changes to users, etc to make it work, without any result.

Then I found an old post where you suggested to a user change permissions that way (for an older version of the plugin) and tried out that way.

And it was successful!

Without that changes there has been no way to make sfpt to work , and to make it work on the folder I assigned to the group.

After that change everything work like a charm!

That's alla what I can say.

Only drawback, and important question: the files that were ALREADY present in the folder before changing permissions to the main folder are still not accessible, so I wanted to understand if I should apply the command again, recursively with the "-r" option.

Is it safe?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it safe?

Hard to say. A recursive change will change all files and folders. Other than the folders that the plugin creates, you do NOT want to change anything else because those permissions are set when the files are created. If you can't access them, then they have the wrong permissions for the user that you are trying access them with. I will see if anything is wrong with the plugin for the folders it creates.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Mh. Ok. Let me know, in case.

I'll try to think something about the files: as it is a copy of another disc, I could try to delete thema and copy them back now that I made the change.

I'll keep in touch.

• I've got the exact same problem with SFTP.

I'm using OMV 4.1.35-1 and SFTP 3.1.6 (pool/main/o/openmediavault-sftp/openmediavault-sftp_3.1.6_all.deb)

I have 3 users, one of them ("dream") I would like to use as SFTP account credentials:

I want to share only 2 sharedfolders via SFTP, this is Privileges for that user:

SFTP tab, there are only these 2 folders set as Shares:

fstab:

Code
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-4TB/video /sftp/dream/video none bind,rw,nofail 0 0
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WORKX/ebook /sftp/dream/ebook none bind,rw,nofail 0 0

Yet, after testing connection, I can see whole root, with all of the folders AND moreover, I can freely download/upload every file (even from system folders):

https://i.imgur.com/Qo68pa4.png

I've been trying to set up a "sftp-users" group, restrict to "Allow access to sftp-access group only", but to no avail.

I can see my whole OMV build via SFTP...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've been trying to set up a "sftp-users" group, restrict to "Allow access to sftp-access group only", but to no avail.

I can see my whole OMV build via SFTP...

First, the plugin creates the "sftp-access" group. You don't need to create any groups and sftp-users would not help.

Second, you need "Allow access to sftp-access group only" enabled.

Third, the user "dream" needs to be part of the sftp-access group (easy to add from the Users tab not the plugin). Otherwise, you will see all of the folders because the user is not in a chroot.

Finally, are you connecting to the sftp plugin's port (222 by default) instead of the ssh port (22 by default)? sftp works on both. If you connect to the ssh port, you will see all of the folders.

• First, the plugin creates the "sftp-access" group. You don't need to create any groups and sftp-users would not help.

Umm, miswrite, I meant of course "sftp-access" group.

This is done.

Second, you need "Allow access to sftp-access group only" enabled.

Third, the user "dream" needs to be part of the sftp-access group (easy to add from the Users tab not the plugin). Otherwise, you will see all of the folders because the user is not in a chroot.

Yup,I enabled that.

User "dream" is a part of the group.

Finally, are you connecting to the sftp plugin's port (222 by default) instead of the ssh port (22 by default)? sftp works on both. If you connect to the ssh port, you will see all of the folders.

I'm connecting on 990 port.

Now it seems that this is correct.

User logged to SFTP see only "ebook" and "video" share, and also "dev", but I read it, that it has to be that way.

I hope that this setting will stick.

Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I hope that this setting will stick.

I use this plugin myself and know it well. Settings only change when you change them. So, I don't see how it can't "stick".

• - 'user_test' is a member of sftp-access

- 'user_test' has the read/write privileges for the sharedfolder

- 'user_test' and the sharedfolder are added to the SFTP 'Access List' tab

- 'Allow access to sftp-access group only' is enabled

- ssh service is running

- sftp service is running

- 'Password authentification' is enabled for both services

- Successively launched omv-salt deploy run sftp and omv-salt deploy run fstab

What goes wrong ?

--

Openmediavault version : 5.5.3-1

openmediavault-sftp plugin version : 5.0.6

--

Openmediavault : 5.5.6-1 (Usul) Linux kernel : 5.4.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

• Is user 'user_test' a member of the ssh group?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The other thing that comes up once in a while is incorrect permissions on /

--

• What's in the auth log?

Jul 12 16:48:50 server sshd[14471]: Accepted password for user_test from 192.1xx.xxx.xxx port xxxxx ssh2

Jul 12 16:48:50 server sshd[14471]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user user_test by (uid=0)

Jul 12 16:48:50 server systemd-logind[771]: New session 34 of user user_test.

Jul 12 16:48:50 server systemd: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user user_test by (uid=0)

Jul 12 16:48:50 server sshd[14492]: fatal: bad ownership or modes for chroot directory component "/"

Jul 12 16:48:50 server sshd[14471]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session closed for user user_test

Jul 12 16:48:50 server systemd-logind[771]: Session 34 logged out. Waiting for processes to exit.

Jul 12 16:48:50 server systemd-logind[771]: Removed session 34.

--

Openmediavault : 5.5.6-1 (Usul) Linux kernel : 5.4.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!