MergeFS Errors

• Morning from the UK

Just done a fresh install of OMV 5 on the NAS, previously been running OMV 3 and felt I should really clean the NAS and start a fresh as was moving all services into Docker containers. Everything has been going smoothly apart from setting up the MergeFS and this could (is?) my fault as I might of done it out of order, so to speak.

OMV is running on 256 SSD which has been partitioned into two OS and Applications then I have 3 x 2TB and 3 x 3TB Western Digital Red. The data drives are formatted as XFS.

So far I have SNAP Raid set up

All well so far, so I sync and scrubbed the SNAPRaid and then created the MergeFS using just the Data drives 01,02, 04 and 05

Here's the error message MergeFSError.txt

and the output of fstab fstab.txt

and of BLKID blikid.txt

When I try and edit the MergeFS, i get this error

Code
    Error #0:
    OMV\Config\DatabaseException: Failed to execute XPath query '/config/services/unionfilesystems/filesystem[uuid='0ed06412-2810-4472-8dbd-195cda91af69']'. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/config/database.inc:78
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/unionfilesystems.inc(166): OMV\Config\Database->get('conf.service.un...', '0ed06412-2810-4...')
    #1 [internal function]: OMV\Engined\Rpc\UnionFilesystems->get(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('get', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UnionFilesystem...', 'get', Array, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}

What the best course of action here?

Should I have installed OMV 4 instead?

Did I make a mistake by setting up MergeFS on a non-empty SNAPRaid drive?

Should reboot the NAS?

Any advice will be warmly received, thanks.

Kentish

• So a little bit delayed bu the festival spirit...

Tried the following and still no joy!

• Removed SNAP Raid
    • Deleted SNAP Raid data from the drives
    • Uninstalled UnionFS/MergeFS
    • Rebooted
    • Reinstalled MergeFS

Added four of the six drives to the merge, the other two are going to be parity drives...get this error

Any one got any ideas?

Ideally I want the data drives to be available as a single location that I can then use to store all the media on

• Sorry no, based upon the error output I'm still using OMV4, did you wipe the drives before trying MergerFS

I just purged the SNAP Raid data, didn't actually try that but can do and see if that works?

Just looked and the FSTAB and it seems that the mergeFS has created an entry

Code
    # >>> [openmediavault]
    /dev/disk/by-label/Applications         /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Applications    e                                                                                                                  xt4     defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota                                                                                                                  .group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl  0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/Data01               /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data01   xfs    d                                                                                                                  efaults,nofail,noexec,usrquota,grpquota,inode64 0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/Data02               /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data02   xfs    d                                                                                                                  efaults,nofail,noexec,usrquota,grpquota,inode64 0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/Data03               /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data03   xfs    d                                                                                                                  efaults,nofail,noexec,usrquota,grpquota,inode64 0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/Data05               /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data05   xfs    d                                                                                                                  efaults,nofail,noexec,usrquota,grpquota,inode64 0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/Data04               /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data04   xfs    d                                                                                                                  efaults,nofail,noexec,usrquota,grpquota,inode64 0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/Data06               /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data06   xfs    d                                                                                                                  efaults,nofail,noexec,usrquota,grpquota,inode64 0 2
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data01:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data02:/srv/dev-disk-by-lab                                                                                                                  el-Data04:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data05         /srv/8ba16f15-49a3-44d1-809e-6ff                                                                                                                  3cab5cbe7       fuse.mergerfs   defaults,allow_other,direct_io,use_ino,category.                                                                                                                  create=epmfs,minfreespace=4G,x-systemd.requires=/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data01,x-                                                                                                                  systemd.requires=/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data02,x-systemd.requires=/srv/dev-disk-                                                                                                                  by-label-Data04,x-systemd.requires=/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data05        0 0
    # <<< [openmediavault]

running mount-a gives me a non-empty error

Code
    mount -a
    fuse: mountpoint is not empty
    fuse: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option

not sure if I should try and and use the nonempty or specifically try an mount the fuse entry - just not sure on the syntax

• Offizieller Beitrag

not sure if I should try and and use the nonempty or specifically try an mount the fuse entry

Nor am I as mine just worked, I PM'd @crashtest about your error because I know he uses this as well, so I've tagged him :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

SNAPRAID and MergerFS (know as the UnionFS plugin) can be applied with data on storage drives, and in any order. (But it does make sense to cleanly format parity drives and use EXT4 as the file format.) Similarly, you can back out of either one and not lose any data.

Since OMV5 and it's plugins are works in progress, perhaps you might consider OMV4.
    The data on your drives can stay in place, but you'll have to setup the UnionFS plugin again, and setup SNAPRAID again, being careful to reuse the correct drives for parity, so that you don't overwrite your data.

With that setup, you can reconnect to your data when setting up shared folders.

• SNAPRAID and MergerFS (know as the UnionFS plugin) can be applied with data on storage drives, and in any order. (But it does make sense to cleanly format parity drives and use EXT4 as the file format.) Similarly, you can back out of either one and not lose any data.

Since OMV5 and it's plugins are works in progress, perhaps you might consider OMV4.
    The data on your drives can stay in place, but you'll have to setup the UnionFS plugin again, and setup SNAPRAID again, being careful to reuse the correct drives for parity, so that you don't overwrite your data.

With that setup, you can reconnect to your data when setting up shared folders.

Thanks that's good to know...

I'll wipe the drives and try EXT3 rather than the current XFS and see what happens!.

If this doesn't do the trick then I think it's time to redo with OMV 4, still learnt a fair bit on this build, mainly around using cockpit and portainer.

• Hmmm, so wiping the drives generated this error...

Interestingly reverting still allows the drive to be mounted and mergeFS to be created but then fails when you have to revert

Bash
    Error #0:
    OMV\Config\DatabaseException: Failed to execute XPath query '/config/services/unionfilesystems/filesystem[uuid='c76b3d70-c8e9-42a6-a50c-a47f7abe77e0']'. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/config/database.inc:78
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/unionfilesystems.inc(166): OMV\Config\Database->get('conf.service.un...', 'c76b3d70-c8e9-4...')
    #1 [internal function]: OMV\Engined\Rpc\UnionFilesystems->get(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('get', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UnionFilesystem...', 'get', Array, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}

So I think, it's time to drag the server from out under the stars and start again....

Kentish

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von kentish () aus folgendem Grund: added additional information

• So update, thought I'd try and take the install back to as close to fresh as I could.. checking the plugins I noticed that I'd installed diskstats 5.0.2.1, so uninstalled that and tried the process again. This time everything completed with out error!

I now have a working 5.2-1.1 install :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

While UnionFS and SNAPRAID can be added at any time, a formatted and mounted filesystem is assumed.

OMV configures in a layered approach:
    - 1 add physical drives
    - 2 format
    - 3 mount
    - 6 CIF/SMB network shares
    etc....

When deconfiguring, the above needs to be done in reverse order.

In essence, I would undo the UnionFS fuse mount point (as in delete the UnionFS config) before wiping drives and formatting drives.
    It would make sense to do the same with SNAPRAID - delete the configuration (while keeping track of which drives you're using for Parity).

• Thanks, I suspect that at some point I did these things out of order!

Still it's a learning curve and I'm copying data back and creating the docker containers! My son is asking for a minecraft one, so at least I can do that now.

• The boot drive is 240 Gig SSD, which I've partitioned into 40G for OpediaMediaVault and 200G for Applications - basically all of the config file for docker. I do plan to switch this back to separate drives in the future but as I only had the SSD available it will make do.

Currently running the following dockers :-

• Minecraft - 3 LAN users
    • Sonarr
    • Emby
    • Heimdall & Organizr- finding out which one i like most
    • NZBGet
    • Offizieller Beitrag

The boot drive is 240 Gig SSD, which I've partitioned into 40G for OpediaMediaVault and 200G for Applications - basically all of the config file for docker.

Good. That's what I was looking for. The extra space on your boot drive is a good location for Dockers and other utility purposes. Docker containers do not like being stored on the fused mount point of mergerfs.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!