Upgrade to openmediavault 5.1.3-1 breaks DNS reolution

• OMV 5.x (beta)
    • Upgrade to openmediavault 5.1.3-1 breaks DNS reolution

Perhaps my installation has quirks that either cause this problem or contribute to it.

What happened previously from time to time was that the file /etc/resolv.conf would be deleted somehow, breaking name resolution. I keep a backup copy of that file and restoring it is easy.

When I updated to openmediavault 5.1.3-1 this morning, resolution broke again so I tried to restore the /etc/resolv.conf file. However, this did not work because /etc/resolv.conf does exist but not as a file. It's now symbolic link to /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf. I believe this linking is more in line with how Debian does name resolution on Buster. The problem is that the directory /run/systemd/resolve does not exist. I created it and placed a copy of the file resolv.conf in it and resolution now works.
      --
      Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

RAID - Its ability to disappoint is inversely proportional to the user's understanding of it.

OMV 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.
    • systemd-resolved maintains that file. There was a probably an update that caused it to re-config. OMV should probably disable it or configure it.
      omv 5.3.4 usul | 64 bit | 5.3 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.2.5
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • It was fine until I upgraded to openmediavault 5.1.3-1 because the date and time on the new symbolic link agreed with the time of the upgrade.

I immediately had my mailbox flood with messages from Watchtower indicating resolution was not working.
      --

RAID - Its ability to disappoint is inversely proportional to the user's understanding of it.

OMV 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.
    • I have a few systems running 5.1.3-1 and /etc/resolv.conf is still symlink'd to the same place. If I have some time, I will try to replicate this.

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

systemd-resolved maintains that file. There was a probably an update that caused it to re-config. OMV should probably disable it or configure it.
      If systemd-resolved is a service, I don't have it running here.
      --

• donh wrote:

There is now a 5.2.0-1 update? Might break it again.
      Just upgraded two systems. /etc/resolv.conf is still being maintained by systemd-resolved and is correct.

• gderf wrote:

If systemd-resolved is a service, I don't have it running here.
      If you don't have systemd-resolved running (it is running on my system), then you want the resolvconf package installed.

edit - I just looked at the code and systemd-resolved enabled and running is the desired state for OMV. Unfortunately, this code only runs once. @votdev maybe salt should be setting this when network changes are made? If some don't like that, maybe a system variable to not use systemd-resolved?

The post was edited 1 time, last by ryecoaaron ().

• resolvconf was installed but not running and not in the services list so I reinstalled it. It's running now.

I one adds DNS servers to an interface using OMV's Network page, where are they written to?
      --

• gderf wrote:

I one adds DNS servers to an interface using OMV's Network page, where are they written to?
      They should be in /etc/systemd/network/10-openmediavault-ens192.network if specified in the web interface. ens192 will change to whatever your nic is named. From there, systemd-resolved (and probably resolvconf) will configure /etc/resolv.conf (or the file it is symlink'd to).

• Users Online 1

1 Guest