Setting up and transitioning from FreeNAS

• Hello all!

First let me apologize as I have not seen all the videos and those that I have from TDL I have not been able to follow when I first gave omv a try.

I have a Dell optiplex 990 and it has 8 GB ram and 650 GB storage and I will be installing omv to a 32 gb USB 3.0 flash drive.

I am reaching out for the following questions to be answered:

1. As a beginner which version of omv should I install? The previous time I used the latest. Had some issues that drove me back to freenas

2. Can I bring my drive as zfs to omv without losing data, if so how. Also would there be any benefit to starting over with ext4 instead of zfs?

3. Any other suggestions for a beginner?

I am attempting to make this a NAS and Media Streamer through Plex but prefer emby if possible.

Thanks again guys.

Disregard the omv version. I haven't reinstalled it yet and am awaiting version suggestion.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. A lot of folks (myself included) are having no problems with OMV 5. Others, are having issues.

2. Not sure on the ZFS questions, don't use it.

3. Assuming you have a reasonably powerful PC or Laptop, Install Virtualbox and fire up OMV in Vbox. Create a couple of virtual "data drives", and just post questions as you come across them. Even as long as I've used OMV (pretty much since the project began) I still am always testing things in Vbox.

I'm not a huge fan of Plex or Emby, however I've gotten both of their docker containers working at various times and they seem to work well (I'd agree w/ you on a preference for Emby).

• I migrate from FreeNAS too and my pool survive.

not problem to import pool and data was intact, be sure to do a fresh install of OMV that do not touch your data drives ( i disconect my data drives to install OMV).

To manage ZFS pools, better to use promox kernels, you have zero issues on install , otherwise some users sometimes have problems.

• Offizieller Beitrag

KM0201 thank you for the follow up and suggestions of vbox. Can this also work with VMware? Or gnome boxes? Just curious.

Also which version of omv do you suggest?

I'm only vaguely familiar with those two, however as long as you can install Linux in them and set up a few virtual drives, I think they would be fine.

I really want to recommend OMV 5, but it's hard given it is technically beta. I switched my NAS to it about 2mo ago and I've personally had zero trouble out of it. Most of the issues I've saw here on the forum, are user issues. To be truthful, as a new user you're very likely to have the same issues on OMV 5, as you would on OMV 4.

IF IT WERE ME, I would probably first try 5.

• I have a decent amount of experience using Linux. So this helps. However little experience with this program.

As a new user are there any good guides that have detailed explanations of how you should set up and why you should approach it that way vs another?

Some key features I would like to see or be able to learn on:
    1. Installing docker and configuring
    2. Ability to access media content from all devices: Roku, Linux (Ubuntu, mint, Solus), android, iPad, Xbox one, windows 10. All are able to access from emby or Plex but I prefer emby. Though if one shows me a different setup I am open to ideas.
    3. The ability to access content as securely as an open source free program can my stuff remotely.

Again new but I can read, learn, watch, and discover with a push in the right direction.

I will be creating an omv vm to test and see how I like things as I progress and then finally install when I have my build as good as it can or as perfect as possible.

I will likely be using omv 5 as it will be the new standard at some time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

https://forum.openmediavault.o…-with-Openmediavault-4-5/

The OMV 5 guide is listed as a "draft".. I believe in it's current state, it's simply the OMV 4 guide. Either one will likely be a huge help. The biggest difference (to the end user) in 4 and 5, is how Docker is managed. There's no longer a docker gui in the OMV webUI. Now, when you install Docker you will install either Portainer or Cockpit to manage your containers.

Give that a good read, and then on Youtube, search for "Technodadlife". He's done a ton of videos about OMV, Docker, etc. that you'll probably find useful (like I said, many of his OMV 4 docker videos will be different on OMV 5, but you'll get the idea of it)

• Last thing before I start looking. I overheard that omv extras don't exist for omv 5 yet. Is this correct?

If so how is one currently working around this.

If not, what is available to omv5 from omv extras

Thanks one last time.

• I overheard that omv extras don't exist for omv 5 yet. Is this correct?

Wrong.

Code
    https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/packages/raw/master/openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all5.deb

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• 1. Installing docker and configuring

Some good practice up front: Change the docker base dir to a location not on your system drive (OMV-Extras lets you do that) before setting up any dockers. Don't use /sharedfolders when referencing any file/folder paths when using docker containers, instead use /srv/dev-disk-by-label-bla/. Create a docker user who's uid/gid you enter when setting up the dockers (most professional images let you do this) to avoid permission problems.

As a new user are there any good guides that have detailed explanations of how you should set up and why you should approach it that way vs another?

Check out the guides section of the forum and also the videos by @TechnoDadLife

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!