Need to migrate configuration and data to new OMV server

• Hi,
    I'm planning to move my OMV install (4.1.22-1) to a new hardware (new motherboard, new larger disks...).

I was considering OMV 4 as it's the current stable release, but OMV 5 seems stable enough from what I read.
    It looks like there is no way to back up configuration (network, plugins, services, users...). Do I need to do it manually (not difficult but better if a couple of clicks)
    Then data. I can do a rsync between both. But I'm wondering how to migrate permissions/owners simply.
    I don't feel the available plugins can do this.

But it seems OMV 5 supports configuration backups. When is it expected to be released as stable ?
    Or I could upgrade to OMV 5 and use the config backup feature.

How would you do it simply ?
    Thank you for your advices.

• There is no way to backup an OMV 4.x configuration (network, plugins, services, users...) and use it on another fresh install, regardless of the version of the new installation.

What you can do is use an unofficial method to upgrade your OMV 4.x installation to OMV 5. See:

Code
    https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/27909-ETA-for-OMV-5-0-weeks-months-quarters-2020/?postID=219830#post219830

Caveats:

You must uninstall all plugins on the OMV 4.x install that do not have a corresponding OMV 5.x plugin. It's possible to identify which ones to remove, but it is easier to just uninstall all of them, making a list of all installed plugins first, along with any notes you feel necessary to have when you install the plugins in your new OMV 5.x. Some OMV 4.x plugins have no ported to OMV 5 version, so you will need to find other ways to do the same things or use forum provided suggestions / workarounds.

You only get one shot at an in-place upgrade. If it fails for any reason and you do not have a verified to work method to restore an OMV 4.x full system backup (so you can try the upgrade again).........so much toast.

I did an in place upgrade of OMV 4.x to 5.x by first uninstalling all plugins from OMV 4.x, performing the cited upgrade, and then installing all the plugins into OMV 5. It worked without any major problems. DNS resolution breaks from time to time, but it's easy to fix when it does. No idea why this is happening but it never happened until I upgraded to OMV 5.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I don't use zfs so I have no answer.

OMV 5 has the Proxmox kernel available - 5.3.13

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thank you for your feedback.
    I suppose I also need to reapply owner/rights/shares/permissions... once everything is copied over.
    Not complicated but still take some time.
    Maybe OMV 5 comes with this migration configuration backup feature

• I suppose I also need to reapply owner/rights/shares/permissions... once everything is copied over.
    Maybe OMV 5 comes with this migration configuration backup feature

What are you copying over? Your existing data drives should be usable as is. Any existing users on the system should survive the upgrade too.

Some configuration migration feature was rumored for OMV 5. But I have no idea if it exists yet, and if if it does exist what it is and how to use it.

--

• What are you copying over? Your existing data drives should be usable as is. Any existing users on the system should survive the upgrade too.
    Some configuration migration feature was rumored for OMV 5. But I have no idea if it exists yet, and if if it does exist what it is and how to use it.

I move to a full different hardware: new drives, new motherboard...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!